Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
241 - 260 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Nice looking start to the harvest Gary.

I've harvested a few ripe cherry tomatoes, two Roma and one Beefsteak over the last week or so. Last year we had ripe tomatoes by the end of July or so and could hardly keep up with them as they ripened! Won't be a problem this year by the looks of it though we'll still have enough that we won't buy tomatoes until late October at least.

My green peppers finally took off over the last couple weeks. By this time last year I had all kinds that had ripened a beautiful red but I doubt any will ripen on the plant this year. Everything except zucchini has been slow for me this year.
ditto here - by this time last year we had already made tomatoe sauce & added some garden peppers to the sauce.
our banana and hot peppers are doing OK, so far, but the bell's suck.
ripped out the pickling cuke plants - got plenty of pickles, relish, etc made up and neighbours dont want anymore, lol.
same for zuchinni - just kept 2 plants for some fresh eats.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Last year I moved over 750 pounds for sure maybe more cannot remember and could have sold more but only had 200 plants in so could not fill the orders. This year I have 600 plants in so I sure hope so :).
Believe it or not a lot of people fry them for breakfast also plus make chow . I was told it is an italian thing
Better money also for the 2 pound bags for frying vs the 10 pound bags for chow

re green tomatoes - never knew.

thats a crazy looking cuke you have there.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
re green tomatoes - never knew
They are so good they were made into a movie!

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I always fry tomatoes...mostly red cuz I cant afford one from my chow stock...lmao. Green ones are also good fried up !

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Two pieces of toast with mayo, topped with fried eggs, over easy, with a side of fried green tomatoes sautéed in butter and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper. ☕☕☕

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Lunenburg Pudding, fried tomatoes(R or G) couple 3 eggs, few homefries avec onions, couple slices of tick balony, bowl of beans, 3 toast on the coleman...now that's livin !

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 · (Edited)
Mrs back to work/school today after having the summer off and cranky as a bear :(
Last thing she says was you are BBQing supper and why don't you get some new potatoes out of that garden
I said god they are only in 60 days and have a month some two to go . Big deal she says pull 6 plants and maybe there will be some small ones like you only have 300 plants you old fool
So I pulled three and to my shock got 6 pounds and many are already over 3" :)
This keeps up going to have another hell of a potato harvest which seems lately all I can grow well in veggies
These are chieftons, superior and the yellow fingerlings ( one of four types of fingerlings I planted ) that I am growing first time for my daughter and the old chieftons are producing like 5 times per plant as they always do vs the others which is why I love them :) Sweet jesus it is muggy here soaked from just doing that. Man I hope this goes tomorrow for good like they say. I am falling so behind :( with the crazy heat

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Well hopefully today it won't be crazy hot so I can get back and build the end walls of the new greenhouse
Went down yesterday with a small list of a few 2x4,2x6 and 1x6VR flooring and the 16 footers too long for the truck so had it delivered
Just looked at the slip and crapped my pants
$980 bucks sitting there they say
How in the hell are young people or anyone for that matter going to build a house today :(

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Did you thank atlantic lotto for that wood ???? you could have bought double that...lol
Yes that is what paid it but now that money is all gone other than 300 bucks and plywood will take care of that
Plastic that was 350 in june I ordered yesterday is now 525 like WTF and now 4 week delivery :( vs 4 days

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 · (Edited)
How in the hell are young people or anyone for that matter going to build a house today

they buy one of these & add on as they get the money. Only catch is they have to tap into the parent's plumbing & electrical systems.

FLEX™ by WillScot of Canada - The Latest in Mobile Offices
Cool. I asked my bud who owns ( well his wife does ) the building supplies here yesterday and he said Joe the kids today don't give a F'k. I just got two homes this week that will be 800K to build and the new owners don't make 80K a year between them but the bank gives them the cash and they live for today and could not careless how much they owe or how long it will take to pay it back
Dam I paid 53K for our house with 15 down and could not sleep owing that much
Different world for sure
Then again friend of my daughter 31 this week finds out he has a real bad cancer and a few months to live so really who is the stupid ones
Live for today maybe the right way to live
take care

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Pickles have been started, 66 cups sliced in 26min, each one the same as the rest. Yup i used my meat slicer. Everything is soaking in salt now until i return from working.
B&b
English b&b
Mustard pickles
A new recipe for bread and butter pickles, ginger and black pepper

I managed to get 4doz cukes a few days ago for $4, too yellow but theyll make great pickles

Next on the list is plum jam, spiced pear, and maybe a mixed fruit compote.
Kevin is almost done and im just ramping up

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
How in the hell are young people or anyone for that matter going to build a house today

they buy one of these & add on as they get the money. Only catch is they have to tap into the parent's plumbing & electrical systems.

FLEX™ by WillScot of Canada - The Latest in Mobile Offices
Mannnn...the stuff goin thru my gray matter after seeing these...lol I see a reloading can, a canning can, a kitchen can, a double bathroom and bedroom cans...and 6 more for all my hoarding chit !!!
BEAUTY !!
...OHHH...and one more can...inside covered in soft rubber so the grand kids can go apechit...once they out grow it...lil wifey can keep me in there then...no danger to anyone 😇 😇

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
LOL @ Tony....I agree with Joe ! Liver n onions is my first choice on the menus at Big Stops...Kows Inn in Bras'dor..Steak n Steins ...Valleyview in Chetticamp and a few other favorites

241 - 260 of 292 Posts