Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Liver??????? Guy makes terribly long, loud gagging sounds over and over and over!
I'm sure its good for you and all but not my favourite as you can see. 😛
Since you don’t like liver try heart. Lots who don’t like liver LOVE heart!!!

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I know lots of people who quit eating deer liver after they started spraying vision and those other biological deterrents over the young hardwoods...including me ! Seen some weird looking and spotty livers from different people over the last 20-25 years

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
I know lots of people who quit eating deer liver after they started spraying vision and those other biological deterrents over the young hardwoods...including me ! Seen some weird looking and spotty livers from different people over the last 20-25 years
Yep we had a lot old the spotty ones here years ago where we hunted and they boys stopped eating them after that

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Liver??????? Guy makes terribly long, loud gagging sounds over and over and over!
I'm sure its good for you and all but not my favourite as you can see. 😛
Too funny. I eat it at least once every week some times twice
I like it but more for the b12 since once I started to eat it weekly I didnot have to go for b12 shots any more :) and of course my three eggs EVERY morning which I am tired of :( for the b12
F'n old tumor BS

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Took the grandsons up to Nova Sporting Clays yesterday for a few hundred rounds of clays...250 exactly!! Had a blast once again, they're really gettin the hang of it now !!
Buttt...there was an alterrior motive for that...my veggie stand is a few miles away and I needed 20 MORE lbs of green tomatoes..10 lbs of onions To make the last couple batches of my mom's green chow. Finished chopping about 8 pm last evening got them all in stainless pots and weighted for the night..I'll start cookin them in an hour or 2..then I got 20 lbs of beets left to do for our best friends.
That'll put a wrap on my 2022 pickling season...UNLESS my neice shows up with her stuff for mustard pickles 😉😉 usually does.
One thing I gotta try yet....tequila sunset jelly ! Mannnnn...what a great condiment ! Goes good with absolutely ANYTHING !!!

So Gary...what are those ground cherries egg-zackly...pretty Kool that they come out of those Chinese lanterns..lol

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Took the grandsons up to Nova Sporting Clays yesterday for a few hundred rounds of clays...250 exactly!! Had a blast once again, they're really gettin the hang of it now !!
Buttt...there was an alterrior motive for that...my veggie stand is a few miles away and I needed 20 MORE lbs of green tomatoes..10 lbs of onions To make the last couple batches of my mom's green chow. Finished chopping about 8 pm last evening got them all in stainless pots and weighted for the night..I'll start cookin them in an hour or 2..then I got 20 lbs of beets left to do for our best friends.
That'll put a wrap on my 2022 pickling season...UNLESS my neice shows up with her stuff for mustard pickles 😉😉 usually does.
One thing I gotta try yet....tequila sunset jelly ! Mannnnn...what a great condiment ! Goes good with absolutely ANYTHING !!!

So Gary...what are those ground cherries egg-zackly...pretty Kool that they come out of those Chinese lanterns..lol
a cpl years back we had some sprout in the little greenhouse. Mustve been seed in the soil from a tomatoe transplant. Thought they were poisonous as Mom had some in front of the family home and we never ate them. She always called them chinese lanterns - hers were orange husks.

I looked them up when they were growing in the greenhouse and, no, the berry is not poisonous.
Theyre sweet with a little tartness. Grandson gets a kick out of them cause of the papery shell.
This year I purposely planted 6 plants - they have grown almost 3 ft high and we're getting a cpl cups of the berries every few days. We dont pick off the plant - we wait til they drop and pick em up off the ground.
I just leave them in the husk, sitting in a wooden strawberry box, on counter until we have a cpl cups or so and use them like berries - they keep pretty good on the counter. Use them like other berries/sweet stuff - smoothies, in a bowl with ice cream or yogurt, crisp, crumble, mixed with other berries, etc.
They wont sprout til soil temp is quite warm. But they grow fast.

Here's some crisp from the other day;

Food Recipe Staple food Ingredient Cookware and bakeware

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Seen them before, also orange ones... never ate them cuz we were told not to...thought they were just ornamentals. Might try and find some next year for the grand daughters gardens ! Think they'd get a kick out of them too. Thanks bud.

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 · (Edited)
Well despite insane heat to work in I am getting there with No. 5 the 16x20 the mrs calls another small one :(
Just have to pop a few windows in today and the patio door inserts, install the wiggle wire channels for the plastic and make up some 1 1/4 tube cross spreaders, bit of plywood work ( two days total max) and then tied up for 2 weeks for the gravel ( which as one can see need a lot to get it level with the beams) and then 4 weeks for the plastic
Once plastic is on will wire and plumb and furnace ducting from the brown greenhouse tot the left
Last time ever I will work with rough lumber main beams and a used greenhouse tubes
Yes I saved money but triple the time trying to get the dam thing straight and the tubes like 30 years old some were so bent I finally said f'k it so the door is 1 1/4 off level big deal just a greenhouse
I pulled these bent pipes with tirfirs, and chain hoists like the old pit days and some were off like 8 inches

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
I picked a dozen dill heads that have gone to seed a couple days ago...I see a few more empty already !! That's great news as they'll keep the perennial supply growing as well !!
When picked, I finish drying them out completely, to add to my spice bin...I do need to go pick another 3 or 4 dozen to use as my dill seed for next years canning too !

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 · (Edited)
Well despite insane heat to work in I am getting there with No. 5 the 16x20 the mrs calls another small one :(
Just have to pop a few windows in today and the patio door inserts, install the wiggle wire channels for the plastic and make up some 1 1/4 tube cross spreaders, bit of plywood work ( two days total max) and then tied up for 2 weeks for the gravel ( which as one can see need a lot to get it level with the beams) and then 4 weeks for the plastic
Once plastic is on will wire and plumb and furnace ducting from the brown greenhouse tot the left
Last time ever I will work with rough lumber main beams and a used greenhouse tubes
Yes I saved money but triple the time trying to get the dam thing straight and the tubes like 30 years old some were so bent I finally said f'k it so the door is 1 1/4 off level big deal just a greenhouse
I pulled these bent pipes with tirfirs, and chain hoists like the old pit days and some were off like 8 inches

All tied up now waiting for gravel and plastic :( so I can do electrical , plumbing and heating . Two weeks they say for gravel and 4 for the plastic :( Rear holes are for two 18" exhaust fans and I am building the windows tomorrow for them out of twinwall

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Stay bend over guys and buy more lube :(
Coming out of the garden yesterday and a person standing in the yard with a file folder so I knew this was not good
Yep property services out of truro checking on all building permits issues in the last 2 years they say and I have one
Nice individual who seen the cart full of veggies and commented so I offered some and we started to talk freely
New to the job and says they hired more staff since there is a lot of work to be done reassessing all properties in NS to get in line with the latest markets and home values
Would not share their time line but said they are fully focused on this and just because you may not see them your re assessment may be already completed
I got the full meal deal yesterday but would not share how much mine went up :( Only good news for me is they have a category now for greenhouses which is less than exterior buildings which is what they used in the past so will offset it some
take care

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Ive been keeping my seed for as long as ive been gardening. Why pay for seed when you can get free proven from your garden
LOL works for the small gardener for sure but in my case try to save enough seed to get 20 pounds of bean seeds :( as one example
Have a great day guys time to get busy and pick tomatoes :)
mama needs money for her fall trips :( as I was told yesterday

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Actually, today I gathered another bunch of ready dill heads. I'll spend the next couple hrs separating them. I always save the biggest seed for planting and dispersing to new areas. Any left over goes into my spice bin for next years batch.

Tedious work but the end result makes it all worthwhile for me and the grand daughters !

Attachments

261 - 280 of 292 Posts