Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
301 - 320 of 327 Posts

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 · (Edited)
Well finally I can say no.5 is pretty much done. Just waiting for some stainless staples to pretty up the plastic ends and a few 3/4 fittings to finish the water system. One more day max
It is my now standard design and identical to another NO>3 I built 4 years ago
She is set up just for real large containers and window boxes and 12" baskets that is why pallets on the sides
Will free up a ton of room in no.4 for trays of flowers and veggies and make our lives easier
She is double wall greenhouse plastic this time 7.4mm vs 6mm and treated for moisture control blown up with a 75 cfm fan to give R 4 insulation
Two exhaust fans one 16" and one 18"and one 24" circulating fan all on auto temp controls and a auto 24x24 louver
30 amp 8 circuit panel all bx since mice eat other wire and dripper watering system ( main lines in but have to wait for basket location to install dripper lines)
Heating is supplied from another greenhouse with a kerr compact and riello F3 lthrough a 8" duct reduced to 6" at vents and with a 420 cfm booster fan installed also on temp control . Once the duct gets 7 degrees hotter than the air it comes on. Real pain to get the ducting trough ther side but did it with some 10" culvert pipe ( ever price that F"K ) and did no. 3 the same time taking out the underground system which didnot work well
Tore the cape apart trying to find used when I could to keep the cost down and even with a second hand set of greenhouse pipes ( saved me like 1500 bucks ) vs new when I bought the exact same greenhouse 4 years ago which cost $3200 this one is like $6300 :( so anyone thinking of building a greenhouse they are not cheap any more
Prices today on everything are crazy
Now to more to No. 4 and do all the improvements I have wanted to do since I built it

Heating trough the side :)

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 · (Edited)
I left a few cabbage in the greenhouse and went out to get one for supper only to find the row of kale up a foot and one cabbage i already cut growing like crazy.
yep still have a fair amount of items growing in the garden that should be dead :)
Dam near froze today taking in all the dripper lines and hoses over there drained , reeled up and put away way too much work and have to cut back next year
When do you want that garlic?? this weekend??
Tomorrow looks like the last day of warmer weather they say 12 here so have to make the most of it and get the old 68 impala out for a run and burn off some of that old gas and fill it with new stuff before I have issues with the heads
Terrible to only be driving it once this year :( Oh well too many other more important items on the go . Also have to find room to store two more new friends that followed me home :)

Ya I know like I needed more horse tillers. Oh well these are now 4000 bucks each today new and pretty much the same machine as these which are 40 years old and sold for 600 bucks new so well worth what I paid for them and worth overhauls even if I resell them can make a few bucks since covid. tillers are back in demand and price for used has more than doubled . What I would get 550 for now will bring 1200
take care

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Gotta try to get my garlic in the ground today or tomorrow. I'm a month later than last yr but we only really had 1 decent frost here so far ! 16-18 degrees for the past 3 weeks I thought was just too warm to plant ?? ...yes or no Joe ??

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
Gotta try to get my garlic in the ground today or tomorrow. I'm a month later than last yr but we only really had 1 decent frost here so far ! 16-18 degrees for the past 3 weeks I thought was just too warm to plant ?? ...yes or no Joe ??
Yes it seems this year you are the smart one. My buds are up 6" ( planted over three weeks before mine )and mine just starting to poke about 1/2 inch
Never seen anything like it but know it is not good to have them up six inches now
Christ was going to be 14 here today and like 7 and blowing 38-40 knots :p:p freezing out there
old car will be getting new gas and started but staying inside :(
Time to get my rubber fishing boots on and get to work :(

· Registered
2,962 Posts
does it hurt the garlic if it sprouts - mine is just showing some green breaking through the ground. Planted 3rd week of October.

Still pulling some carrots & parsnip - got these guys this morning.

Food Plant Ingredient Natural foods Root vegetable

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
On the garlic I asked those that sell me the seed ( he does 2 million bulbs a year so should know I hope ) so will see what they say. I have never had mine up before so not sure

· Registered
79 Posts
does it hurt the garlic if it sprouts - mine is just showing some green breaking through the ground. Planted 3rd week of October.

Still pulling some carrots & parsnip - got these guys this morning.

View attachment 98943
Won"t hurt them at all aslong as you cover them with straw or leaves and some evergreen branches to protect them from frost and snow they will get a jump on any garlic planted next spring.Kevin after all that rain last night how are you going to work the ground or should I say mud in order to plant . This is why you plant them before the fall rains. Good thing they are chezzetcook strain of garlic and used to poor soil and fog:p

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 · (Edited)
Won"t hurt them at all aslong as you cover them with straw or leaves and some evergreen branches to protect them from frost and snow they will get a jump on any garlic planted next spring.Kevin after all that rain last night how are you going to work the ground or should I say mud in order to plant . This is why you plant them before the fall rains. Good thing they are chezzetcook strain of garlic and used to poor soil and fog:p
Who plants hard neck garlic in the spring??? in NS have never heard of that They need the cold and many months for proper clove growth and must be planted in the fall or one must like peewee garlic with poor taste. Some plant soft neck fine which also grow poorly here but never heard of anyone planting hardneck which is all we grow here normally fall planted
Cheers

· Registered
79 Posts
Who plants hard neck garlic in the spring??? in NS have never heard of that They need the cold and many months for proper clove growth and must be planted in the fall or one must like peewee garlic with poor taste. Some plant soft neck fine which also grow poorly here but never heard of anyone planting hardneck which is all we grow here normally fall planted
Cheers
Well 3macs i know you have way more experiance with growing than me but have planted last years garlic in the spring to fill in bare spots and they have done quite well just a little late cutting scape and not as large but Russian Red hardneck can be planted early spring with good results cheers

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
Well 3macs i know you have way more experiance with growing than me but have planted last years garlic in the spring to fill in bare spots and they have done quite well just a little late cutting scape and not as large but Russian Red hardneck can be planted early spring with good results cheers
I know they need vernalization to form proper size and tasting bulbs. How do you achieve that, Must be real small

· Registered
79 Posts
I know they need vernalization to form proper size and tasting bulbs. How do you achieve that, Must be real small
You are probably on to something as my garlic is stored in an unheated garage and gets the vernalization and that is why it still grows well in the spring thanks for the info 3 macs

· Registered
17,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
You are probably on to something as my garlic is stored in an unheated garage and gets the vernalization and that is why it still grows well in the spring thanks for the info 3 macs
Yep storing it over the winter as you do is the same as it being in the ground pretty much . That is why they grow well for you. I have found some on the floor in my unheated garage behind a box or something in the spring that also have shoots coming up but I have never planted them
Take care

301 - 320 of 327 Posts