Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
321 - 327 of 327 Posts

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 · (Edited)
For what it is worth
Hi Joe

If you plant garlic too early or too late, you risk as a mininum setting back your garlic in the spring, leading to smaller bulb development. Garlic planted too early will grow too much in the fall and waste energy that will be needed in the spring that may or may not be still there when needed again. On the other hand, garlic planted too late may not have enough time to develop a good foundation of roots to survive the winter and have a head start in spring. Ideally try for 3 weeks prior to ground freeze
However so many factors come into play from soil quality. location , type of garlic. how deep planed etc which is why you get so many opinions on this . Some see nothing others have lost their crop
So at this stage to reduce the risk and give your garlic the best chance to produce large bulbs. If garlic leaves are showing keep covering it until it doesn't again doesn't matter if you have to place a foot of straw on it some can be removed in the spring
Just after the snow goes place a high nitrogen at least 12 fertilizer on the top, one month slow release is best and allow the spring rains to wash it in. That will ensure the requirements will be there to get the garlic going again in the spring
Discolored leaves in the spring is usually a quick way to know from yellow, red, . purple etc that they need some help and the soil is lacking
Hope this helps

My old buds were about 6 inches high yesterday and we buried them again with eel grass so none are showing mine are up maybe 1" so Ok with original straw

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Think I forgot to share this years numbers which helps me when I forget :)
Normally put 2000 in but never sold them all this year and have maybe 500 left :( ( times are tough here ) so cut back to planting 1508 for 2022
Planted Oct 13&14th
Music 522
Elephant 135
Big boy 126
Purple Russian 423
Cremedelarosa 302
Total 1508

Big Boy is a new one out to me another similar they say to Music for northern climates be interesting to see . Last year I tried another new one called Majestic and IMHO sucked and gave me small bulbs
I didnot get the seed from johnboy but here is a good description on them and i planed the large size bulbs to save a few years getting there 4 bucks each :(

· Registered
2,959 Posts
For what it is worth
Hi Joe

If you plant garlic too early or too late, you risk as a mininum setting back your garlic in the spring, leading to smaller bulb development. Garlic planted too early will grow too much in the fall and waste energy that will be needed in the spring that may or may not be still there when needed again. On the other hand, garlic planted too late may not have enough time to develop a good foundation of roots to survive the winter and have a head start in spring. Ideally try for 3 weeks prior to ground freeze
However so many factors come into play from soil quality. location , type of garlic. how deep planed etc which is why you get so many opinions on this . Some see nothing others have lost their crop
So at this stage to reduce the risk and give your garlic the best chance to produce large bulbs. If garlic leaves are showing keep covering it until it doesn't again doesn't matter if you have to place a foot of straw on it some can be removed in the spring
Just after the snow goes place a high nitrogen at least 12 fertilizer on the top, one month slow release is best and allow the spring rains to wash it in. That will ensure the requirements will be there to get the garlic going again in the spring
Discolored leaves in the spring is usually a quick way to know from yellow, red, . purple etc that they need some help and the soil is lacking
Hope this helps

My old buds were about 6 inches high yesterday and we buried them again with eel grass so none are showing mine are up maybe 1" so Ok with original straw
OK, then - more cover going on - tks for the info.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
OK, then - more cover going on - tks for the info.
No problem gary. Can't hurt and makes perfect sense when one thinks about it especially here when those cold north winds start blowing off the water with the salt :(
Mine is Ok so far but I got four more bales of straw since and they are sitting close by in case they are needed
I put about 12" on at the start but now compressed to maybe 4 inches but nothing sticking out so far

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Guys that buy a lot of seeds I hope your sock is full of money this year
Have never seen such high percentage increases in one year
Beans I paid 99 bucks for a bag in 2022 $139 this year and cucumbers that were $23 a pack now $39 as two small examples
Lettuce seeds off the charts IMHO
UNREAL

· Registered
904 Posts
I save seeds from what I grow each year. I don't grow much so its not like I save much money. Just interesting to try it and see how the crop turns out. So far so good, other than the gourd/pumpkin cross I got.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
I save seeds from what I grow each year. I don't grow much so its not like I save much money. Just interesting to try it and see how the crop turns out. So far so good, other than the gourd/pumpkin cross I got.
They are most times fine but that can be a problem if not 100 feet apart or so but that is all my grandmother ever did. They never bought seeds plus she always stored them in the dark and in the freezer. I keep mine in the dark in plastic sealed totes and in the coldest spot in my basement
Hard for me to save 20 pounds of been seeds however :p:p

321 - 327 of 327 Posts