Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
We made it to 1 before the metal was too hot to hold onto and pull it up onto the roof. Then my shoes were melting on the panel as i was screwing it down.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We made it to 1 before the metal was too hot to hold onto and pull it up onto the roof. Then my shoes were melting on the panel as i was screwing it down.
That sounds like absolutely no fun at all! I've worked on roofs in the heat (but not like it was yesterday) and in the cold. I think overall I prefer cold.
Over Christmas vacation in December '72 I worked in bare hands when it was -22 F. It was cold as hell but I was young, stupid and tough/showing off. It was dry which made it bearable, couldn't have stood it otherwise. Fast forward to three years ago - we put metal roofing on the sister-in-law's mini home around mid November. It snowed 8 inches the night before and stayed cold enough the snow hardly melted all day. Passing the panels up onto the roof my fingers were completely numb to the point I couldn't feel them to get my hands in my pockets! Hurts even more when they start to warm up! Strangely, my wife's nephew and his bubby who are in their 30s didn't really seem to mind the cold much!:(

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
We have our usual hummers
7 -10 being 2 different groups that "battle" over the feeders. I have a set of chimes that i made from old silverware and the fork is bent to hold the spoons , the hummers sit on the tines waiting their turn at the feeder

·
Registered
440 Posts
We have a couple of hundred, going through 4-5 feeders a day. Its getting to be too much, but they will leave by the end of the month. Will see if I get time to get a couple of photos.

·
GREYBEARD
3,255 Posts
We don't seem to have as many Hummingbirds as usual 1 or 2 maybe, and they were here in the yard early, it seemed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Would love to see the pics
Will see if I can get a few pictures tonight with cell phone, all my cameras are packed up. We are moving to a new house close to town. Hate to leave this place on the lake, but my wife has a few problems and she could not live way out here if something happens to me. Its getting to be a lot of work to keep 40 acres maintained at my age. So we are in the middle of packing and I am amazed at all the stuff we have hoarded up over the last 20 years. Never threw anything away as it is a hour trip to town and back, but never used any of the stuff that we held onto LOL.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Will see if I can get a few pictures tonight with cell phone, all my cameras are packed up. We are moving to a new house close to town. Hate to leave this place on the lake, but my wife has a few problems and she could not live way out here if something happens to me. Its getting to be a lot of work to keep 40 acres maintained at my age. So we are in the middle of packing and I am amazed at all the stuff we have hoarded up over the last 20 years. Never threw anything away as it is a hour trip to town and back, but never used any of the stuff that we held onto LOL.
Real sorry to hear that
No rush my friend and you go slow moving that stuff. I don't know if I have another move in me which is why I never built again after I sold our new place I built in 95
Mrs told me this little place we bought is close to everything and perfect size for when we retire and once again she was right :( now if I can only find the money to do the kitchen over since she has never shut up about what she had and gave up and what she has now
take care

·
Registered
65 Posts
Be careful outside today boys and girls going to be another real hot one
To hot to do outside chores so I decided to start picking green and yellow beans to blanch and vacumn bag for freezing and just finished doing about 15 2 cup bags and it is to hot to do that going to drink a few cold beer instead.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think I have two hummingbirds, maybe, here in the older part of Bedford. One for sure though I assume its a pair and we only see one now and then. I keep hoping to attract more but no luck so far. Both us and the neighbors have lots of hostas and there are lots of trees here so I hoped between that and the feeder more would come.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
No way on earth i was cooking inside in the heat, started planning Monday when i took a turkey out to thaw. Last night i broke it down and boned the breast, then into the brine overnight. Today we made atomic buffalo turds (stuffed jalapeno wrapped in bacon), stuffed mushrooms, strawberry shortcake, and candied salmon. I took the thighs and made turkey salad to go on baguette.
We invited good friends to share the feast and some long overdue social time. We started eating about 5pm with apps then moved into the main dishes. By 7pm we were groaning, decided to sit a spell before having dessert. It was made in a large dish and was allowing the flavors to soak in the pound cake, it made for an incredible end to an incredible meal.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hard to get pictures of the birds with a cell phone. If I get close they fly away, they also shy away if I get too close to a window. But I got this picture through the sliding door at 7am this morning, in the fog. They empty the 6 large feeders everyday. Unlimited activity daylight till dark
Water Sky Tree Plant Lake

·
GREYBEARD
3,255 Posts
nice photo, i didn't think they would congregate like that because they are so territorial.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Hard to get pictures of the birds with a cell phone. If I get close they fly away, they also shy away if I get too close to a window. But I got this picture through the sliding door at 7am this morning, in the fog. They empty the 6 large feeders everyday. Unlimited activity daylight till dark
View attachment 98439
very cool. You must by sugar by the 50 pound bag :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where are you located?
Have you already sold the property?

121 - 140 of 168 Posts