Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we have another year behind us. Spent the last day going through all my seeds and tossing old ones( any more than 2 years for me ) , seeing what I may have missed etc and now ready to go after a very small 23.00 order just now so did not miss too much. Well not tossing giving away to some that put gardens in with their kids etc since many will still germinate just fine so if you plant them heavy are fine to use and a huge milk crate box off to the mainland to my sister for her and her gardening friends
The way things are going I figure that will be the first of March I will be planting here

Like seriously WTF is going on 10 degrees again today the one load of snow we did get last week all gone after the first day of rain
Never in all my years living here have I seen so much water in the ground. Am now over 30 gallons coming up over the footer into the chimney clean out and caught in my set up and I don't get more than 3 gallons a year normally
Looking at the french drain from the house this morning and a full 4" pipe flowing which is usually what I see in May

In fact out last night January 16th :eek:getting yes night crawlers and got a ton to freshen up the old worm farm here praying we may see some ice this year and I get some smelting done
Don't know for sure but IMO if doesn't get cold soon we are going to have more bugs and weeds than we have ever seen in our lives in the garden
The old garlic I just look at it and shake my head as I cover and cover and cover it and it keeps growing up through. I bet I have 12" of straw on it now and no idea what that is going to do to it
Oh well guess I could have that terrible freezing rain my sister is still fighting on the mainland so not complaining
Sure helps with the heating of the old house however :)

· Registered
2,973 Posts
I must've missed a few things.in the garden as i see green shoots poking up from the garden bed
We took down the greenhouse so the winter (snow, winds, etc) wouldnt trash it. I wonder if the kale is growing under the materials, wouldn't be surprised

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must've missed a few things.in the garden as i see green shoots poking up from the garden bed
We took down the greenhouse so the winter (snow, winds, etc) wouldnt trash it. I wonder if the kale is growing under the materials, wouldn't be surprised
That dam kale they should make tires out of it IMO that stuff nothing can kill it
Think I mentioned it before I have three cabbages in one greenhousue I never planted about 10 inches around, a four foot tomato plant with flowers in another and some petunias and impatients blooming in a third. Two greenhouses are full of weeds and grass growing like it is summer
Crazy year

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have recorded in a book in my tool box since 95 when I moved here how many times I used the snowblower per year and there was a year of 32 times and most were high 20's last year twice and this year once so far Not complaining either just scared to see what it is going to do to the gardening season this year. I just tossed two lady bugs as we speak never see those in the house this time of year but then again when one releases 10,000 a year in their greenhouse not shocked I guess

· Registered
240 Posts
I got a number of those asian beetles (look like lady bugs)in my basement as we speak.Not sure how they are getting into my house in the summer and fall.They bunch up together in corners i suspect trying to stay warm.Also get the odd stink beetle i have to dispose of down the shitter.Cant vacuum those the smell is unreal.Never had either of these creatures up until 4-5 yrs ago.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good thing thats a honda😉
Many of them I use all depends how deep the snow is and how wet it is . Five in fact of my own ready to go from a small 724 to what I call the beast a 11/28 one honda never made they made the 1132 but I made one and the perfect combination for power bucket size and weight and yes I have the 1132 also but IMO the bucket is too big and the 11 hp should be a 13 which I am watching for now for a few years and it weighs a ton
Honda snowblower motors have metric shafts and normal easy to find 13hp are no good with their 1 inch shafts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a number of those asian beetles (look like lady bugs)in my basement as we speak.Not sure how they are getting into my house in the summer and fall.They bunch up together in corners i suspect trying to stay warm.Also get the odd stink beetle i have to dispose of down the shitter.Cant vacuum those the smell is unreal.Never had either of these creatures up until 4-5 yrs ago.
Have not seen those here so far

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was thinking about this last night must be the Liberals and Justin to blame also to let these asian bugs immigrate here

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Have not seen those here so far
They're everywhere here up the Musquodoboit / Stewiacke valley! Esp in the fall of the year...thousands of em. They always find a way into the houses...camps. You can vacuum up 200 one day then 300 of em 2 days later. Even 20 kms back in the woods ! Hoards of em.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
They're everywhere here up the Musquodoboit / Stewiacke valley! Esp in the fall of the year...thousands of em. They always find a way into the houses...camps. You can vacuum up 200 one day then 300 of em 2 days later. Even 20 kms back in the woods ! Hoards of em.
Sounds like ticks you guys can keep them.:p I seen two ticks here last year and spend a ton of time in the fields and have not seen these yet but I am sure they are coming wonder if the fact I release 10,000 lady bugs a year and treat the aphids has anything to do with it Apids are their main food these asian bugs and are a show stopper in the greenhouse business so always on the look for them

· Registered
1,153 Posts
All kinds up in the Malagash area too. How they get in the house I don't know.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I have not seen the “stink bugs” in my life, until a couple of years ago. Went in my camp one day and there were a bunch around the window. I killed one, and right away, was hit by this pungent odor. Didn’t kill anymore, just put them outside. I think this past fall was only the 3rd year I have seen them.

· Registered
240 Posts
I have not seen the “stink bugs” in my life, until a couple of years ago. Went in my camp one day and there were a bunch around the window. I killed one, and right away, was hit by this pungent odor. Didn’t kill anymore, just put them outside. I think this past fall was only the 3rd year I have seen them.
Right?The smell is very strong.I get the odd ones in my house and have no idea where they are coming from.Only thing i can think of is firewood maybe?I vacuumed one upone day and vacuum stunk awfully bad for days.If i come across any now i gently grab them with paper towel and flush down the shitter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts