Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Just a heads up guys If you plant get your seeds when you see them they are getting just like ammo scarce in various types and sizes and don't look at the price
Beans I paid 96 bucks for last year for 5 pounds are 139. I am ok since I ordered everything last fall like October and here in the stash but my old bud who ordered first of jan is getting e-mails today that they cannot supply his order of 10,000 beans and he can only get 1000 max and the big one price goes from 10 bucks a 1000 to 20 bucks plus so he is calling everyone he knows to order 1000 for him as I just did with shipping 36 bucks for a pound crazy but these are the type of beans he likes to plant and sell
If you are a packet buyer only supply may not be an issue other than some types but price sure went up again on small packets and once again amount of seeds in a pack down again
Cheers

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok Truegrit I told you I owe you a big thank you for your post that said I have to get a hobby in the winter and here is why
Nine months I don't have enough hours in the day and have no problem getting more exercise than I need then in dec, jan feb it is like a switch goes off and everything stops
In the past I would be out blowing snow , shoveling and smelting most days but the last two winters being so mild none of that happened
Wife for about 5 years now has been saying there is so many projectes you could be still doing if that dam garage had heat so section a room off and get at it
Nope not chopping up my garage and the only approved heat the insurance company will accept is electric like ya on a 50 foot uninsulated building not going to happen

So two years ago I bought the steel, did the graveling, extra patio door and some wolmanized to extend greenhouse no. 4 by 9 feet
Huge job since I had to cut off all the 4 foot 3/4 rebar rods holding down the 6x6 and try to move the huge wall fitted with windows and doors in one piece but was on the list to do this summer
It looks like this now but very deceiving since that is a 24x36 greenhouse with just an end stuck out

So out getting ready for the storm putting stuff away and old truegrts post in my mind and it happened a brain fart
WTF am I moving the wall why not buyild a second one do the 9 foot extension and there is your 9x24 foot spot to work in the winter which can be used for a greenhouse addition in summer and then the work place Could heat it with a candle and all the big money is already spent since you have the steel, done the gravel have the second patio door and some woolmanized not to mention 1/4 the work vs sliding the wall so out comes old pencil and that evening meeting with finance minister
Likes the idea she says but how much Think I can pull it off for 1300 bucks with used windows, one storm door and some more wolmanized. OK she says but one penny more and you have to come up with that out of that sock I know you have which you don't think I know where it is ( after meeting sock hiding place changed :D:D )

So bought one window so far and one 36" storm door went to my two usual used window dudes and both have nothing which I have never seen before seems since covid may are using used vs new windows in what they are building so hitting a guy tomorrow that says he has over 75 and can help and some would be only good for a greenhouse so we can talk
So with any luck I can pull this off and be out all next winter not bored fighting here :p and active
This is the wall I was moving before all the windows were installed so weights a ton and would have been a nightmare to move in one piece and like I said big

So thank you Truegrit once again :)

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Looking at it here I am starting to think it is 28 that wall not 24 which would be even better of a shop even if only 9 feet wide The garage is 50 for sure Christ just thinking on the real sunny days with the poly roof I can work on my tan :p if too hot to work there

Jaw Gesture Thigh Chest Thumb

· Registered
630 Posts
Seems to be quite a project that you have going there, Joe. I have seen numerous pictures of stored Chevys and tillers. Aren't any of those buildings heated for you to tinker in or like most, just too full to get around in?
I would have given this a "like" but I didn't want people to question which picture I was liking:LOL:

· Registered
419 Posts
Ticks are bad down here, especially if you have rabbits around, they feed off them and drop off everywhere and produce more. Found a baby rabbit couldn’t of been more than couple days old in the middle of my trail, dead, it’s ears were caked with embedded ticks that were all ballooned up, went right into it’s skull.
I’ve had 20 at one time on my boot, mostly dog ticks(dermacenter) but deer ticks too

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Seems to be quite a project that you have going there, Joe. I have seen numerous pictures of stored Chevys and tillers. Aren't any of those buildings heated for you to tinker in or like most, just too full to get around in?
I would have given this a "like" but I didn't want people to question which picture I was liking:LOL:
garage and shed full and not heated all greenhouses empty this time of year and all heated with oil but just too dam expensive to turn a furnace on today plus the mrs doesn't want any grease or crap like she says in her greenhouses. That extension would be 1/4 of the work the original extension would have been Hope I can pull it off in may be 10 days now you scare me on the like :D

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ticks are bad down here, especially if you have rabbits around, they feed off them and drop off everywhere and produce more. Found a baby rabbit couldn’t of been more than couple days old in the middle of my trail, dead, it’s ears were caked with embedded ticks that were all ballooned up, went right into it’s skull.
I’ve had 20 at one time on my boot, mostly dog ticks(dermacenter) but deer ticks too
Where did ticks come from?? You Ok :p

· Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like ticks you guys can keep them.:p I seen two ticks here last year and spend a ton of time in the fields and have not seen these yet but I am sure they are coming wonder if the fact I release 10,000 lady bugs a year and treat the aphids has anything to do with it Apids are their main food these asian bugs and are a show stopper in the greenhouse business so always on the look for them
Smh

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Well just got back with the last window and door I need for this new wall and extension That took long last greenhouse took me a year to gather the windows and doors needed in my price range this time maybe 5 days and done
Yep my pal who I normally buy from that had none gave me a name on the north side which was new to me call the guy and he says come on over sunday
Sweet jesus where has this fred sanford of windows and doors been hiding all my life , he must have had over 100 doors and 150 windows in the yard 5 or six barns full etc
Told him what I needed them for and they don't have to be perfect and have a budget First window he says 200 second he says 100 I say sorry looks like we are not going to be able to do any business at those prices and what they are in that condition and too bad since I have the cash with me to buy the 6 or 7 pending size I need plus a screen door

My god talk about a head swivel once the old wallet was mention with cash on hand and how many items I wanted
Long story short got all of them I was short 6 and the door for just over 50% off his first asking price and only 75 bucks over my budget which was not a bad hit on the old sock:D
Will sit until august when I start the project but that is Ok The last load

21 - 31 of 31 Posts