Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
321 - 340 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well a bit lower today so it went down over the weekend not up buddy just left
2.06 a L
It's killing me $1750 since 1st of april and still have a furnace to turn on wednesday :( Joke is riello F3 burners with .50 nozzles no smaller made plus low temp set at 55 this year vs 62 normally so have to live with it
Joe i held off planting in the green house because of cold what temp would be safe to plant and leave in green house with natural heat.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's not that hard to understand. Sleepy Joe killed a bunch of production in the US. That increases demand for current production,means higher prices Most of our oil sands have been deferring maintenance for the last two years due to covid and now have no choice but to do shutdowns because they are at a critical point where the maintenance can't be pushed any further. Shutdowns mean more lost production,means more demand than supply,means higher prices.
My site is having its largest ever shutdown right now. Virtually no production for this summer. Last I heard my site is around 250k barrels per day. Mine isn't the only one with shutdowns happening. Less supply,high demand=higher prices. Prices may come down in the fall once everyone gets their maintenance done and things come back online.
The war in Ukraine certainly doesn't help the situation. Tanks and Aircraft don't run on unicorn pee and they burn fuel like theres no tomorrow.
The fact that people are travelling again also has an effect. Passenger plains burn huge amounts of Jet-A which is basically refined Diesel fuel. We put 16k Litres on one plane last week that flew from Ft Mac to Calgary because there was bad weather and they might need to go to Vancouver as an alternate landing. Planes flying overseas routinely take 40-50 thousand litres per flight. Take a look at flightradar and the amount of planes in the air will shock you. During lockdown most airlines weren't moving much. More demand,higher prices.
I hear you, Caperaway! I am in Alberta right now and lots of jobs on the go. Can't tell you much about flight cost/fuel but the highest gas prices I saw on the way across was 201.7/l in Geraldstown, Ontario, right before Nipigon.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Joe i held off planting in the green house because of cold what temp would be safe to plant and leave in green house with natural heat.
Right now it is too early with out a heater
Days with sun it is fine but the nights are just too dam cold
My bud has all his tomato plants like 3000 of them started in his 13x14 greenhouse . His with the electric 1500 watt heater can only maintain like 40F in the nights.with an extra small fan behind it plus the fan in it
The plants don't die nor do the seeds but they don't grow either. They just sit there and turn a bluish color from the cold the plants and what I can have up in 7 days takes him 21
I keep mine at 55 min in the nights and that seems to be ok and run my furnaces even in june in the nights
I have found starting them early is a waste of time since ones planted later when it gets warmer catch up and do better
It is usually not until the end of may he shuts his heater off. Stuff like cabbage, kale and onions you can start now but only the cold weather crops
Pick up a temp monitor system and when you start seeing the greenhouse stays over 40 in the nights you will be ok
One of the temp minders I use
take care
Plus just to add that heater costs him almost 100 bucks a week to run :(

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I thought i had pulled all my onions last fall when i planted my garlic, i missed a row and now all the onion tops are 12-16in high dwarfing the garlic as its only about half as high. Guess ill have early onions

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Picked up another tiller Sunday and for the first time in my life had to factor in the cost of gas to go get it and make my offer 100 less and only went to st peters to get it . Seller was totally ok with that. My god where will it end

·
Registered
875 Posts
Went to M&S today with my dump trailer for a couple tons of class A. What used to cost me $25 last year was $50 today. They said they can no longer quote on deliveries as fuel is so volatile they lose money on anything quoted last week. They will only quote a price on delivery day the way fuel is jumping around.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Went to M&S today with my dump trailer for a couple tons of class A. What used to cost me $25 last year was $50 today. They said they can no longer quote on deliveries as fuel is so volatile they lose money on anything quoted last week. They will only quote a price on delivery day the way fuel is jumping around.
yep and a tandem is up over 100 bucks ( so far based on a march price probally more now ) compared to what I paid last year :( I have to get one every year since the floors drop so bad in the greenhouses over the winter and I have to bring them up every spring so the mrs doesn't fall and the gaps under the 6x6 are sealed to try to save oil
Cheers

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
This is total gouging and is starting to cripple people's finances. All we hear from elected officials is crickets. If this is a supply issue, why has the per barrel price not followed the pump prices into the stratosphere?

·
Administrator
10,845 Posts
A girl that works with my daughter (ECE) drives from Windsor to Hfx...has been for the last 4 yrs...she's now looking for another job...2 tanks of gas per week is now 180 bucks a week !!...she makes 15.00 hr and 40 hr weeks...the cost of gas is causing her to leave. She can't afford to drive to work !
SAD fekkin reality boyz...annnnd it AINT gettin no fkn better any time soon !!!!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
A girl that works with my daughter (ECE) drives from Windsor to Hfx...has been for the last 4 yrs...she's now looking for another job...2 tanks of gas per week is now 180 bucks a week !!...she makes 15.00 hr and 40 hr weeks...the cost of gas is causing her to leave. She can't afford to drive to work !
SAD fekkin reality boyz...annnnd it AINT gettin no fkn better any time soon !!!!
My son runs the same now working a new job at the airport, we gave him our VW to help get better mileage but from Windsor to the airport each day I figure it will be at least $500-$600 now needed in gas for the month. There are not even any affordable houses that way to buy either. I believe this is the plan, kill every thing. More and more about universal basic income in the news each day. Its what they want, surrender everything you own, get a welfare type check and live in low income government housing. Its coming.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Pure greed. Nothing more. Big oil tycoons took a major hit during covid, and they are recouping their losses. Since these dirty global elites run the dirty governments … nothing will get done. Local small businesses were looking forward to the tourist season after a long two years, and guess what ????….. there likely won’t be a tourist season, because of the high cost of fuel.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Im running the wifes car when i work, $70 to fill Saturday and had to do it again Sunday as i worked in truro and then ran a few errands back in Halifax in the afternoon. If i was running my truck i imagine double that, good thing the new jobsite is 10min from home and ill be there most of the next month

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Filled up @ $2.02/4 litre in Port Hawkewsbury on way to Fredricton for daughter University Graduation , pulled in Fredricton and gas was $1.98/6 litre , be interesting to see price this morning here to see if " MARKETS " caused spike up this way .

Was $60-70 one way from the Cape to Fredricton in the Outlander it's double that now one way was cost of return trip last August .

Our daughter relocates to Halifax in August this yr to attend SMU , discussing how that logistics with her last night for both fuel and Rental truck or my truck and trailer , what will be cheaper in long run and best way either way it's not going be cheap fuel wise .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Filled up the truck yesterday before the price went up again - $181 from about 1/8th of a tank. Absolutely Brutal. Used to be $100 back when I bought it, I could live with that. If it keeps going I may be investing in something easier on fuel for a bit. I'd have to be pretty desperate to get rid of the truck completely, but man does it hurt the wallet right now. One of the few times I'm actually glad I still live with my parents, I couldn't imagine trying to pay rent right now. (n)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
I am so glad to be retired and not have to drive anywhere. I hope the price of fuel drops before hunting season. I'm at my camp about every day. May have to take some provisions and stay for a week as opposed to driving everyday. I don't care what excuses they give us ... it's gouging ... plain and simple. Government just as bad as big oil. They are doing nothing to stop it. Gas should be $1.25 a liter according to the price of oil.

321 - 340 of 348 Posts