Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
built buildings back in the 80's & used some battery powered/cordless tools - cursed them up down & sideways. Needed a 10 pack of them on charge all time, up/down scaffolding or back to job shack/truck to swap out batteries, if we ran generators you used a cpl receptacles just for the charging, etc, etc. POS tools, waste of time, etc - give us corded. The price to pay for using a real man's tool was tripping over cords, coiling/uncoiling them at end of day, dragging heavy generators around if no commercial power. lol.
Look whats in any trade guys toolbox now - unreal. The big cordless tool companies offer more than 1,000 different tools in battery power.
Big advances coming with batteries, hydrogen, renewable type electricity - no stopping this train now.
Soon be time to trade in the block heater plug for a charging plug.
Interesting times.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Old Henry would be laughing and saying where have I heard this all before . What a bunch of cavemen here face it boys the world is changing and the stuff we love is not cool any more from guns to automobiles
Forget the grid or how the electric cars perform now. That will be all worked out. It is coming big time

Henry's words on gas at the start and that was sure worked out
In those days there were no gasoline stations, and the only place the fuel could be purchased was in a drug store. If, by chance, the druggist had a gallon of it, we were happy. Seldom were we able to buy in such a large quantity and usually we had to be content with a pint or a quart.
Henry was a lot smarter then a fifth grader however our politicians are not.
Butane was the new “ big thing” back in the 80’s how did that work out.
NSP can’t keep up now not sure what they will do once their time ends to stop burning coal. But be reassured the cost to convert will be on their customers. Unless they just pack it in and sell NSP back to the province, the price tag def won’t be $1.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The big problem with electric vechiles is charging them. Power companies have to convert to a process where fossil fuels aren’t used. Windmills lol - not likely.
Canada is the largest producer of uranium and the second biggest exporter. Nuclear power generation is supposedly clean however the cost to build a plant is astronomical. They have nuclear plants in Ontario but hey call someone there and ask how much their power bill is. My BIL could not believe how cheap electricity was when he moved here from Ontario, more then half the cost!
Unfortunately I would be very nervous if the NS gov decided to build a plant here, look what they did to NS power when they ran that. Or just look at any provincially run service, scary to say the least.
Maybe we can learn to burn recycled urine.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Seen pics of folks sitting in lawn chairs along side the road...while a Honda Inverter generator was running charging their vehicle...LOL.." all lectric my azz "...lol
What is used to run those generators??? Will we be allowed to use a fossil fuel run generator or anything else gas powered???
Where would you put your luggage if you have to transport a genny where ever you go

·
Administrator
10,997 Posts
Lol...I can just see them EV 18 wheelers goin up the big pull out of Merit BC...or goin up thru the snow sheds east of Hope in the winter...lmfao!!

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Maybe just me but I think someday the EV vehicles they go with will not need charging stations like now
They will generate what they need when driving as the small batteries do now in our vehicles which drive everything except the engine when in motion
Some smart engineer somewhere will develop something different that what we see today and way easier to implement

·
Registered
832 Posts
If folks really believe in ev's and the recharge way then it should be law you can only recharge by solar or wind power no coal fired gens or fossil fuels.I mean to do any less is just hypocritical lol......Hopefully some smart engineer can figure out a way to make a gen,alt or magnets that will make the car recharge itself on a drive that should be the real goal before every buys one and start causing brown outs.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
If folks really believe in ev's and the recharge way then it should be law you can only recharge by solar or wind power no coal fired gens or fossil fuels.I mean to do any less is just hypocritical lol......Hopefully some smart engineer can figure out a way to make a gen,alt or magnets that will make the car recharge itself on a drive that should be the real goal before every buys one and start causing brown outs.
Remember the law of diminished return, cant make more energy than you use. That is the big stumbling point they are having with charging

·
Registered
590 Posts
I will not be surprised if hybrid vehicles are more common that pure electric for quite some time.

But, I expect that just about every EV company is already working on ways to "charge while driving" to extend range and minimize the need for charging stations and/or spending so long charging while on the road.

Time will tell I guess. But either way, it would make zero sense to charge an EV with fossil fuel generated power. That is only moving the problem to a different location which gains nothing.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
built buildings back in the 80's & used some battery powered/cordless tools - cursed them up down & sideways. Needed a 10 pack of them on charge all time, up/down scaffolding or back to job shack/truck to swap out batteries, if we ran generators you used a cpl receptacles just for the charging, etc, etc. POS tools, waste of time, etc - give us corded. The price to pay for using a real man's tool was tripping over cords, coiling/uncoiling them at end of day, dragging heavy generators around if no commercial power. lol.
Look whats in any trade guys toolbox now - unreal. The big cordless tool companies offer more than 1,000 different tools in battery power.
Big advances coming with batteries, hydrogen, renewable type electricity - no stopping this train now.
Soon be time to trade in the block heater plug for a charging plug.
Interesting times.

Nailed it, Cars will be the same 20 years from now

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
There is no reason in the world that EV's can't be equipped with some form of an alternator to keep the batteries charged. There has to be a way to generate power with every rotation of a tire. When I was a kid ... my bicycle had a generator on the front tire to power a head light.... and that was 3000 years ago !!

·
Registered
590 Posts
There is no reason in the world that EV's can't be equipped with some form of an alternator to keep the batteries charged. There has to be a way to generate power with every rotation of a tire. When I was a kid ... my bicycle had a generator on the front tire to power a head light.... and that was 3000 years ago !!
Exactly! Its coming. Frankly I'm shocked its taken them this long. Even the act of braking to a stop can be used to generate electricity from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I am no electrical engineer but todays hybrids are designed to take over from the gas engine once it slows down to a specific speed and at idle. Is it not a12 volt system? I think the big issue is the weight of the vehicle and the safety aspects of vehicle. We all like our four doors, trucks or whatever but in order to get them to power up to the speeds we like to travel and to generate enough electricity to self charge the batteries these vehicles are using designers need to go back to the drawing board. Never mind charging stations that cost money. Imagine a vehicle guaranteed to charge itself while running and all electrical batteries and onboard chargers with a warranty for ten years. Maybe at this point I might be interested. Mankind has put men on the moon, a vehicle on Mars, and a singing astronaut in a research station orbiting the earth for two months, so surly as I sitting here they can design a self charging vehicle that the average person can afford without some negative results to environment.

Reactions: 682bubba

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
I am no electrical engineer but todays hybrids are designed to take over from the gas engine once it slows down to a specific speed and at idle. Is it not a12 volt system? I think the big issue is the weight of the vehicle and the safety aspects of vehicle. We all like our four doors, trucks or whatever but in order to get them to power up to the speeds we like to travel and to generate enough electricity to self charge the batteries these vehicles are using designers need to go back to the drawing board. Never mind charging stations that cost money. Imagine a vehicle guaranteed to charge itself while running and all electrical batteries and onboard chargers with a warranty for ten years. Maybe at this point I might be interested. Mankind has put men on the moon, a vehicle on Mars, and a singing astronaut in a research station orbiting the earth for two months, so surly as I sitting here they can design a self charging vehicle that the average person can afford without some negative results to environment.
They sure can but there is the problem they have right now
Cheers

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
With our current technology the alternator would be bigger then the car!

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Some real big problems with EV’s right now. Scariest being fire lots and lots burning up
Another big problem is the cost to replace the battery, cost more then the vechiles purchase price! That’s why there are lots of Telsa’s In junk yards.

Better technology is coming but gonna take time for sure.
Toyota has new hybrids with a prime system. You can drive around town on the prime system which is all electric and good for 80-100 km if you go on a trip you just switch to hybrid mode.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have a Camry hybrid and even on the highway it will maintain its speed, gas kicks in only under load, ie- excellerate or up hills. Eleven yrs old and still going strong!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I believe you're right. They can do it. They just need to start thinking differently. They're still designing for what exists now instead of going back to examine their base assumptions. Combine that with the need for whatever they design to make money, quickly, and you get the current situation.

One huge problem is that it is extremely expensive to go back to square one with this kind of thing. I've had brilliant design engineers tell me they could design a new, better version of our military product if we would give them a million or two dollars a year for 10 years. The answer was "That is not going to happen!", just as it would be in many companies. I've also seen us spend many millions over 4 years and get almost zero usable product design or advancement. The point here is - Leading edge design is horribly expensive and therefore a lot of companies simply do re-design in tiny increments over a long time. Hopefully EV technology doesn't follow that model!

I think there are probably several universities around the world currently working on battery and self-charging technologies. They are often able to justify research for its own sake where many for profit companies simply can't. So quite often a university professor and his doctoral and masters students will come up with technological advances they can then license or sell to corporations. You will also see corporations fund or partially fund a doctoral chair at a university for the prestige it gives them AND the first rights to any and all technology developed.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
The proto types have been out a few years now and well on the way

·
Registered
788 Posts
This concept must be a joke. You're talking about a zero energy device or a perpetual motion machine. They cancel each other out and you have no power. Your bike 3000 years ago was powered by your legs, which were powered by Cheerios.

There is energy recovery possible with braking systems - they do something like running an alternator with a heavy load on the wheels to reduce the wheel speed. Subway trains use this. I'm not sure if any cars do it - it would add a lot of costs if they did build it in.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts