Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Currently in NS, our power is about 60% coal fired generating station. So that's what a Tesla is running on, 60% coal, which is dirtier than gas when the math is done.

Trudeau just swung by and promised $230 million for wind power in NS. The problem is, coal generation can't be switched on and off as the wind goes up or down. So they have to keep the coal generation plants running 24/7. Wind power does not displace coal power generation. NS needs either imported power from Quebec, or we need something like small modular reactors under development. We need power source that's available all the time, not solar and wind power.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Currently in NS, our power is about 60% coal fired generating station. So that's what a Tesla is running on, 60% coal, which is dirtier than gas when the math is done.

Trudeau just swung by and promised $230 million for wind power in NS. The problem is, coal generation can't be switched on and off as the wind goes up or down. So they have to keep the coal generation plants running 24/7. Wind power does not displace coal power generation. NS needs either imported power from Quebec, or we need something like small modular reactors under development. We need power source that's available all the time, not solar and wind power.
Only for 8 more years

·
Registered
590 Posts

My BIL works for NB Power and that's the problem they have with wind power. Simply cannot count on it so you need hydro , nuclear, coal etc in addition to be able to swap over instantly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I believe you're right. They can do it. They just need to start thinking differently. They're still designing for what exists now instead of going back to examine their base assumptions. Combine that with the need for whatever they design to make money, quickly, and you get the current situation.

One huge problem is that it is extremely expensive to go back to square one with this kind of thing. I've had brilliant design engineers tell me they could design a new, better version of our military product if we would give them a million or two dollars a year for 10 years. The answer was "That is not going to happen!", just as it would be in many companies. I've also seen us spend many millions over 4 years and get almost zero usable product design or advancement. The point here is - Leading edge design is horribly expensive and therefore a lot of companies simply do re-design in tiny increments over a long time. Hopefully EV technology doesn't follow that model!

I think there are probably several universities around the world currently working on battery and self-charging technologies. They are often able to justify research for its own sake where many for profit companies simply can't. So quite often a university professor and his doctoral and masters students will come up with technological advances they can then license or sell to corporations. You will also see corporations fund or partially fund a doctoral chair at a university for the prestige it gives them AND the first rights to any and all technology developed.
Exactly!

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
My BIL works for NB Power and that's the problem they have with wind power. Simply cannot count on it so you need hydro , nuclear, coal etc in addition to be able to swap over instantly.
Agree but they don't need coal any more. Coal will be a thing of the past in both provinces
Without a so-called equivalency agreement, NB Power would have to build a new natural gas-fired generating station, a $1.5 billion expense that would have to be passed on to ratepayers.
While natural gas is cleaner than coal, it still emits greenhouse gases, meaning a new plant would be subject to carbon pricing and other climate policies.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Agree but they don't need coal any more. Coal will be a thing of the past in both provinces
Without a so-called equivalency agreement, NB Power would have to build a new natural gas-fired generating station, a $1.5 billion expense that would have to be passed on to ratepayers.
While natural gas is cleaner than coal, it still emits greenhouse gases, meaning a new plant would be subject to carbon pricing and other climate policies.
Yes I agree. In my opinion coal is by far the worst fuel in in terms of pollution and no one should be burning it any more. Hopefully none of the utilities in Canada will build more fossil fueled power plants but I expect they will. I don't like to see rivers dammed up to build power plants but I'd rather see that than wood, coal or oil fired power plants! I can see nuclear power making a comeback in some countries too.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Yes I agree. In my opinion coal is by far the worst fuel in in terms of pollution and no one should be burning it any more. Hopefully none of the utilities in Canada will build more fossil fueled power plants but I expect they will. I don't like to see rivers dammed up to build power plants but I'd rather see that than wood, coal or oil fired power plants! I can see nuclear power making a comeback in some countries too.
Agree 100%. We both have friends at the power plants. :)
I have no idea what they will change to at NSP but coal it not something they want to keep and one can understand why
Take care

·
Registered
Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge, model 99 300 Savage
70 Posts
Maybe just me but I think someday the EV vehicles they go with will not need charging stations like now
They will generate what they need when driving as the small batteries do now in our vehicles which drive everything except the engine when in motion
Some smart engineer somewhere will develop something different that what we see today and way easier to implement
Has anyone gone to dealership recently to see what's available for Hybrid/EV vehicles? My wife is looking at getting a Plug In Hybrid at Hyundai, they told her at least 1.5-2 year wait. If your looking for 100% EV, 3-5 year wait. The gov't is offering some pretty decent rebates if you buy a Hybrid or EV, however I'm sure that money will dry up long before the cars are available...unless of course your in Toronto or Vancouver.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Has anyone gone to dealership recently to see what's available for Hybrid/EV vehicles? My wife is looking at getting a Plug In Hybrid at Hyundai, they told her at least 1.5-2 year wait. If your looking for 100% EV, 3-5 year wait. The gov't is offering some pretty decent rebates if you buy a Hybrid or EV, however I'm sure that money will dry up long before the cars are available...unless of course your in Toronto or Vancouver.
Have a friend two years waiting for a hybrid truck he ordered. Then again my wife had to wait months for her 2022 regular gas rogue as did my daughter for her 2022 VW suv. Both had to be ordered at the factories and one had to come from over seas and the other from the US

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Yep I only worked underground mining it for 24 years and seen this stuff many many times from those including me who at one time believed it would never go away
The world has changed and coal is not cool any more in canada for sure IMHO and only old dinosaurs now will support it
Steel making yes power not IMHO. If it was the federal government would have NEVER closed DEVCO here where we still had 100 years of coal left to mine in the cape
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
788 Posts
Same at Nissan for the Leaf. I think a person can get a Tesla the same year.

The rebates on the Tesla only allowed purchase of the low range option. Strangely enough, that car has the same battery pack as the higher range version, so the limitation of charge and range is purely done by software. I've seen a number of the used Tesla standard range models for sale at NS car dealerships. People get their car and rebate and then realize 150 KM doesn't take them far, and you're also driving a rear wheel drive car, which in winter is no fun. Standard range seems to have increased by 2022. I'm not sure if the low end Tesla prices have remained low enough for rebates in 2022.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
It's too bad most of us will never see it but would be nice to have this same conversation 20 years from now . Any bets we will say be saying no way EV vehicles will never replace gasoline. I sure think they will and much sooner than we think and my blood is full of coal dust and old leaded gas:p
In fact time to get the old girl started today and smell some of this toxic stuff :) Nothing like an old 396 big block with standard brakes to get the blood flowing :)

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am no electrical engineer but todays hybrids are designed to take over from the gas engine once it slows down to a specific speed and at idle. Is it not a12 volt system? I think the big issue is the weight of the vehicle and the safety aspects of vehicle. We all like our four doors, trucks or whatever but in order to get them to power up to the speeds we like to travel and to generate enough electricity to self charge the batteries these vehicles are using designers need to go back to the drawing board. Never mind charging stations that cost money. Imagine a vehicle guaranteed to charge itself while running and all electrical batteries and onboard chargers with a warranty for ten years. Maybe at this point I might be interested. Mankind has put men on the moon, a vehicle on Mars, and a singing astronaut in a research station orbiting the earth for two months, so surly as I sitting here they can design a self charging vehicle that the average person can afford without some negative results to environment.
There are at least two different types of hybrids out there. One of them I actually like. It uses a gasoline or diesel engine but runs it like a generator. This allows it to run at it's most efficient speed. This is then used to drive 2 or 4 electric motors in the wheels which eliminates much of the parasitic losses of the drivetrain. A small battery or capacitor helps fill in sudden demands.
The other kind is the kind you mention and I think they suck. You still have all the parasitic drive train that the electric needs to drive, and then the engine not only drives the wheels but also charges the batteries, which makes it less efficient.

Statik

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I surely hope I am long gone before I am forced to buy an EV. Gas and diesel will still be here long after most of us are worm food. I just can't imagine electric semi's, farm tractors, locomotives, and aircraft. How will they power generators when the power goes out ???

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ha Ha! Good one! I especially like the hair in a bun line.
It was actually very discriminatory and not politically correct.
We never met you do not know me. Perhaps I was a participant in the pride parade maybe even the leader. Kevin and Joe on either side of me. You both should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves! Gay bashing is a crime!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
It was actually very discriminatory and not politically correct.
We never met you do not know me. Perhaps I was a participant in the pride parade maybe even the leader. Kevin and Joe on either side of me. You both should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves! Gay bashing is a crime!!!
My comment was about men having a "man bun". Which I am not a big fan of as you probably guessed. Nothing to do with sexual orientation whatso-ever I assure you.
My adopted son is Gay. Not that I have to explain to you.
I also thought the man purse bit was hilarious too! As a matter of fact, my last boss, who I consider a friend, carried one that I believe his wife bought for him. He wasn't gay but he did have a man purse. :)
I thought the original post was funny as hell and not at all mean spirited.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts