Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I recently moved to the Shubenacadie area, spent four years in Halifax and prior to that, grew up in Newfoundland. I've been big game (moose) and small game (grouse and ptarmigan) hunting quite a bit in Newfoundland but have not explored the NS areas just yet.

I see an abundance of great fields in this area and have been spotting a few flocks of geese in the early mornings, as well as flocks feeding in the fields throughout the day.

Looking for advice on gaining access to some of the fields in the area. Any hunters out there who hunt in this area, or any field owners willing to give permission for land access?

Any advice is appreciated! Very excited to get back into hunting activities that I haven't been involved in since moving to Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Start knocking on doors to gain access to fields. If you are polite it goes a long way. Dont show up in full camo toting a gun hoping for same day access, youll get alot of no's but one yes will do it.
Offer something in return for the access, share of the harvest, a day of help on the farm.
If you get a NO ask if they know of someone having issues with wildlife that may need help. Might not be goose but you could end up with a great deer spot.

Ive done all the above and now have unlimited access to farms up Oxford way. Been 20years and they all know me as being responsible and trustworthy. One day helping harvest berries goes a long way with these farmers, and i get berries too.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Start knocking on doors to gain access to fields. If you are polite it goes a long way. Dont show up in full camo toting a gun hoping for same day access, youll get alot of no's but one yes will do it.
Offer something in return for the access, share of the harvest, a day of help on the farm.
If you get a NO ask if they know of someone having issues with wildlife that may need help. Might not be goose but you could end up with a great deer spot.

Ive done all the above and now have unlimited access to farms up Oxford way. Been 20years and they all know me as being responsible and trustworthy. One day helping harvest berries goes a long way with these farmers, and i get berries too.
You are so right Tim especially helping out on the farm
It goes a long way we have proven time and time again over the years
Especially if one can fix the hay bailer in my case :D:D
Cheers

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Also be advised there is a fairly large buffer zone around the wild life park .if that is the area your looking to hunt water fowl .visit the local office they can print you a map showing the buffer zone .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the feedback everyone. Also open to driving some distance for other accessible areas if you have any tips or advice on areas which may not require a fee to gain access.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You are so right Tim especially helping out on the farm
It goes a long way we have proven time and time again over the years
Especially if one can fix the hay bailer in my case :D:D
Cheers
I cant fix the bailer but i can install windows and doors during his home reno. Got them all trimmed nice inside too.
That was a busy weekend as i showed them how to install laminate floor, then installed 2 doors and 4 windows. That was a happening place

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I cant fix the bailer but i can install windows and doors during his home reno. Got them all trimmed nice inside too.
That was a busy weekend as i showed them how to install laminate floor, then installed 2 doors and 4 windows. That was a happening place
Yes Tim it really doesn't matter what we do but do something extra in appreciation
How many guys did I know that would hunt on private land and not even offer the owner some deer meat and leave the property with roads torn up and garbage everywhere and then they wonder why no one will let them hunt on their land
Take care

1 - 9 of 9 Posts