Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for handheld GPS’s ??? I’m looking to buy one. Nothing too fancy, but I want one with batteries that I can change. No rechargeable ones. Just looking for one that tracks my path so I can find my way back to the starting point. Crappy Tire has some, as do Cabela’s. Is there any other places that sell them ?? Like I said … not looking to break the bank.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I am rocking an eTrex20. I think the newer model is the eTrex20x.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was looking at the eTrex22x. I think that is the newer version of the 20x.
*** correction … you was right Beaverhunter… there is a 20x. All I saw was the 22x.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have a Garmin Etrex 20. I like it, though the accuracy of the maps is not as good as Garmin's older products (Etrex Legend).
My 20 is getting old so about a month ago I bought a GPSmap 64sx at Bass Prot cl. They claim the 64sx has a topo map. Don't believe it. The map is absolute crap and you would have to spend another $115 or so to buy a real topo map program for the unit. I returned it after trying it for a couple days.
The newer Garmin Etrex 22x or 32 would be my choice if I was buying another unit. They are quite easy to use, accurate, lock on to satellites even in heavy cover and have good battery life. They use 2 AA batteries. I carry a spare set all the time but have only ever had to change them during the day, even in cold weather, when I started out with less than a full charge. I use rechargables but if you wanted to spend the money I'm sure lithium batteries would last even better.
However, Cabellas has a Garmin 64X on sale right now for $199.99. The controls on this unit are very similar to an Etrex 20. Fairly easy to use and you will never get a better price in my opinion. The map will not be the best when it comes to highways but it will have excellent accuracy when used to track your movements and get back "home".

Here's a tip if you've never used a GPS. Mark a waypoint at your vehicle, camp, whatever or waypoints along your route if you're more comfortable with that. Then if you have to you can either "track back" on your route in, or, simply navigate from wherever you end up straight to one of the waypoints you marked.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good info TonyM. I was gonna go with the 22x … but I am going to check out the 64x.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
TonyM

However, Cabellas has a Garmin 64X on sale right now for $199.99. The controls on this unit are very similar to an Etrex 20. Fairly easy to use and you will never get a better price in my opinion. The map will not be the best when it comes to highways but it will have excellent accuracy when used to track your movements and get back "home".

Are you sure the sale price of a Garmin 64x is $199 - or was that a typo? I know they’re usually close to $400 and it looks like Cabelas currently have them on sale for $299. Still a good price tho.

Communication Device Font Mobile phone Portable communications device Telephony

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the 64x. It is on sale for $299. I’m still gonna check it out. Just a few more dollars than the 22x.
*** good deal on the trail cam too. Chances are, I’ll grab one of those as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was looking at the 64x. It is on sale for $299. I’m still gonna check it out. Just a few more dollars than the 22x.
*** good deal on the trail cam too. Chances are, I’ll grab one of those as well.
Sorry guys! Not sure where I was looking but somehow got the price wrong.
Years ago when I bought my first GPS I went to Mountain Equipment Coop and a guy there showed me a couple actually working. It was a BIG help in deciding which one to buy. You could try them but I asked them a question a month or two ago and knew more than than they did. Same went for Bass Pro, though there is one fellow there that seems to really know his stuff, I don't know if they will fire up a unit for you. You could buy and try one at home of course. They will return no questions asked.
Truth is I think you would be happy with either of the units you're considering.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have an older 64 and love it. Mine doesn't have all the map bells and whistles and I did have to buy the map for it. However, it has much better battery life, runs on AA, and has better reception when in the woods/ravines etc. I've gone on waterfall hikes where everyone's GPS lost signal except mine. Now I mostly just use my phone and google maps, but when it matters I still use the GPS.

I try to keep 100% of my woods gear on the same battery - AA's - it means I can carry fewer spare batteries and on multi day trips I don't have to find a way to recharge things.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I will add that I bit the bullet and bought the Atlantic Canada Topo Maps, pretty good investment, actually has what Deer Zone you are in, if you are on crown land etc. I have found it came in hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts