Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a Dremmel tool about 20 years ago and never used it so this week I decided to alter a set of grips that were made for left handed person with a thumb rest. I got them off Gun-Post,, homemade from a guy in Quebec. They were made for a Ruger MK1 but the screw hole were cut out for a Ruger MK11 and it didn't have the slide release bar cut out cause the MK1 doesn't have the slide stop so I went to work on them. First I went and stripped all the varnish off them, lightly sanded them, took Min-Wax dark stain and filled in some of the natural cracks on them. filed off the thumb rest and cut out the slide stop so they would work. turned out to be great, thicker than factory made grips so I like the feel of them so much more. here are pics of them, let me know what you think. I think it's better to try and modify them to use than to just throw them in a drawer and forget about them
These were made from a piece of maple,, the kind you would find in your wood box,, lol No special select

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
I'm not a fan...but it's all about personal taste..fit and function. Are you shooting any better because of them Did your target scoes go up any...lol...
I love being the tinkerer too...l've fixed, changed, altered and made a lot of chit to suit ME in my lifetime and nooooo regrets. Looks like a really good fit, yo did a good job on em. So long as you're finding them more comfortable Alan...that's all that matters.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not a fan...but it's all about personal taste..fit and function. Are you shooting any better because of them Did your target scoes go up any...lol...
I love being the tinkerer too...l've fixed, changed, altered and made a lot of chit to suit ME in my lifetime and nooooo regrets. Looks like a really good fit, yo did a good job on em. So long as you're finding them more comfortable Alan...that's all that matters.
3 reasons why I altered them Kevin were, first they were for a Ruger MK1, and I wanted to use them on a MK11,,secondly target grips for a left handed shooter, had to get rid of the thumb rest, and thirdly I wanted to be able to use them without letting them go to waste.
As far as my shooting went, Shooting USA with Jim Scoutten, contacted me for a interview on his show.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
3 reasons why I altered them Kevin were, first they were for a Ruger MK1, and I wanted to use them on a MK11,,secondly target grips for a left handed shooter, had to get rid of the thumb rest, and thirdly I wanted to be able to use them without letting them go to waste.
As far as my shooting went, Shooting USA with Jim Scoutten, contacted me for a interview on his show.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
LOL..probably to highlight the " how to NOT to " segment...lmao

1 - 6 of 6 Posts