Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts...I have been looking for a crossbow for a while..looked at second hand but held off. I was trying to stay around the 400 dollar mark but ran into a few extra dollars..lol. I was looking for high speed..350 fps plus and high kinetic energy...100 plus. Soon realized these come at a price. Also was looking at compound crossbows but think I'm going to go with Excalibur due to the simple limb set up. These 2 crossbows sit at 305 fps and around 72 lbs of kinetic energy at 40 yrds. From what I have read it should be able to drop a deer. Anyone have any experience with any of these crossbows?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a matrix 380, cant remember the weight of arrows the wife made but the fly more like 350 fps nice bow they run a bit more price wise. It was a handme down from the wife, she now has a horton vortex its compound reverse draw. she had to use a crank on the excaliber now she can rope cock the horton i do like shooting the horton as it is balanced so nicely. both most definately in different price range than the grizzly. but that is always the problem the next model is a bit better and its only a bit more...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have a matrix 380, if I was looking now I would be looking at the Mircro Suppressor.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Supressor..ya very nice..one issue..1299.99 lol.. I don't own a rifle that is worth that so I know Im not going to pay 1299 for a crossbow..lol

I am new to the crossbow scene and the 380 is closer to my price range. I may wait and see if any sales come up. I am trying to stay at the 350 fps. I have read the faster the more power you have but I have also read that the higher the fps the higher the probability of parts breaking. I guess if I go with grz2 or grizzly I may try to get within 20 yrds. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Both the GRZ2 and the Grizzly deliver a speed of 305 fps. Which is more then enough to take down a big game animal. The GRZ2 retails at $549.99 and the Grizzly at $578.99.

My compound setup @ 28 inch draw,26 inch beman 400 with 100 grain broadhead gets me 280 fps more than enough to take down any deer. But my comfort zone is 35 yards at which I have taken deer with this setup.

·
Registered
261 Posts
the matrix 380 will go clean through a deer at 30 yards and get imbedded in a punky birch log with the fetching at on end on the side and the broad head at the other end and opposite side.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
If it's just for hunting deer and price is a factor you should look at the PSE fang. Around 350 FPS. My son has one as does a friend and they both have taken deer ( clean pass through ) at 40 yds.
I've used it myself target shooting and it's lightweight comfortable and easy to cock. Never got the hang of cocking one with the string cocker but I have no problem cocking the fang with just my hands. The bow is extremely accurate out to 40yds as well.
Of course if you got the $$$ they now have crossbows accurate out to 100yds.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought a Excalibur Grizzly three years ago all in about six hundred bucks I use the bolts that came with it and Thunderhead broadheads 100 grain. I just took my third deer with it on Thursday for me it works just fine for the dollars.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both the GRZ2 and the Grizzly deliver a speed of 305 fps. Which is more then enough to take down a big game animal. The GRZ2 retails at $549.99 and the Grizzly at $578.99.
My compound setup @ 28 inch draw,26 inch beman 400 with 100 grain broadhead gets me 280 fps more than enough to take down any deer. But my comfort zone is 35 yards at which I have taken deer with this setup.
Thanks Willy, this is the info I am looking for. I have read that it is enough take down power for deer especially at the 30 to 40 range.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info everyone..I may go with the GRZ2..read it is deadly accurate and will drop deer. May also try on a bear when time comes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GRZ2 purchased..super excited to test it out. Time to start scouting for next year..can't wait already!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just bought this in December, almost thought about leaving it behind on our move to Alberta...changed my mind..lol
Should probably bring it just in case;)

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Yes take it along,may come in handy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts