Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I hope everybody is having a good dear season.

I have an older Remington 7400, the brass keeps getting caught when ejected. Not sure if it just needs to be cleaned or a different type of amunition should be used. Either way I would like to find a gunsmith close by that could take it apart and look at it and clean it up. I've went online and watched a couple of videos on how to take it apart but I'm still not that comfortable that I will do it correctly.

I've been surfing the web to find a gunsmith here in the Annapolis Valley. I can't seem to find anything close to me. I'm close to Kentville so someone near there would be preferable.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
If you are keeping the firearm you need to get comfortable with dis-mantling,cleaning and putting it back together.
Ensure the firearm is safe/empty....
it will come apart piece by piece
set them in sequence on a bench/table in front of you
soak/clean each part individually and place them back in their proper spot
reassemble in reverse
NEVER force anything.
It is machined and everything "fits" like a puzzle,it will either go or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, the Gunworks video was the one I had watched online. Would rather have someone show me what to do rather than just start taking it apart based on a video online, and the guy in the other post is right I don't have the tools to take it apart as well.

I forgot all about Vimy Ridge, I'll have to give him a call, I haven't been there in a couple of years. Great excuse to visit as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Also this is my first post, nice to know people on here are helping others.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
To correct the problem you are having it may not require removing the barrel.
Removing the trigger assembly only might give you enough access to the breach...maybe.
All you will need for that is punches or something similar (nothing sharp like a nail/screw) to remove the pins,cleaning solvent and a toothbrush.
Put some solvent on the breech and scrub away the dirt you can get.
Another you can do/use easy enough is....this won't correct the problem but it will improve the rifle's accuracy/longevity and needs to be done.

Solvents,lubricants and Snakes are available at C/T and Walmart
I will be up that way Friday evening...
I could help you with this if you have/get the gear and are interested in learning.
It will take less than 1hr.

·
Registered
733 Posts
RemGuy, I belive stuck or sticking cases in the Rem. semis is typically a chamber fouling issue. A quick clean of the chamber with solvents and a light polishing with fine steel wool 'should' cure the sticky case issue. Make sure your cartridge cases haven't gotten dirty/patina on them if they are old ammo, as that could result in difficult extraction also. I have my Grandfather's Mod. 742 Woodsmaster chambered in .308 (precursor to the 7400) that was manufactured in the late 1960's and have never had an issue with sticking cases, but the make/model is well known for it.

I'm not sure what the difference may be between thwe 742 & 7400 but mine disassembles very easily with simple tools in anyones toolbox. I still have the original 4pg owner's manual and it shows step by step how to tqake it apart. If you don't have the manual you may be able to download a new one from the Remington website?

Good luck & good hunting!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Remguy,

I have a Rem 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06 , very much the same as yours.Sometimes there is a part associated with the extractor that wears and will cause stovepiping and or jamming on these models as previous stated in the forum.Take a look at your spent casings and look around the rim to see if there is any marks on it ? I find with mine it needs to be throughly cleaned well .As also stated check your ammo - is it tarnished / old ? I have shot some different brands of ammo from mine,call me a fuddy duddy but shoot Remington ammo in a Remington gun,my father inlaw has hunted with Remingtons for over 40 years and swears by this.If need be contact Dale Young in Granville ,over 25 yrs gunsmithing .Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
RemGuy, I belive stuck or sticking cases in the Rem. semis is typically a chamber fouling issue. A quick clean of the chamber with solvents and a light polishing with fine steel wool 'should' cure the sticky case issue. Make sure your cartridge cases haven't gotten dirty/patina on them if they are old ammo, as that could result in difficult extraction also. I have my Grandfather's Mod. 742 Woodsmaster chambered in .308 (precursor to the 7400) that was manufactured in the late 1960's and have never had an issue with sticking cases, but the make/model is well known for it.

I'm not sure what the difference may be between thwe 742 & 7400 but mine disassembles very easily with simple tools in anyones toolbox. I still have the original 4pg owner's manual and it shows step by step how to tqake it apart. If you don't have the manual you may be able to download a new one from the Remington website?

Good luck & good hunting!
100% correct .....chamber fouling and dirt (old oil) build up in the chamber is the cause of this...easy to fix with 0000 steel wool and solvent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.