Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just moved here from BC and need to find a really good Gunsmith who's into long-range shooting. I saved for several years and last fall was finally able to put together my dream set-up, a Sako 85 Bavarian in .270 with a 3.5x14 Leica Scope. The problem is I can't seem to make the scope and rifle work together at all and need a really good Gunsmith to help (I've already been to two who threw up their hands). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Huntwisely, I agree, Sam Is the man. Not a rush job kinda guy. Husqie its not the rifles fault, its usually the shooter. 270 is a fine long range gun with the right person on the stock.

Resolute try to get a hold of Sam Adams.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I've got 2 rifles at Sam's now. He is quite busy though.Don't expect mine in time for this deer season but i have others lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why is that?
poor bullet design and case, sure its an allright caliber but not a good choice for long range, you never hear anyone saying anything good about them when it comes down to long range, i guess is you had a good rifle and reloaded you might make it a decent shooter for 300 yr but thats really it.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
you never hear anyone saying anything good about them.... when it comes down to long range, i guess is you had a good rifle and reloaded you might make it a decent shooter for 300 yr but thats really it.
http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/cartridges-calibers/38102-270-win-range.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ultra-long-range.htm

Imagine...in a cheapy Savage at that at!! :eek: :)

I doubt there are too many places around here anyone would be looking outside 300yds anyway and

anyone that could, probably wouldn't be doing enough practice to be attempting to ETHICALLY take game.

ETHICALLY being the keyword here.

IMO anyone that isn't at the range every other week/all year probably shouldn't consider anything over 100yds anyway....with any caliber.

·
Registered
362 Posts
LOL we were over in PEI IN 93 i was on the rifle team LFAA with a guy from the mainland he put five in the center of mass at 500 yrds standing with a peep an pin site on a c7 thats right 5.56/223 for you civies and he was a tyro(first year rifle shooter)some guys on here probally no him i don't want to put his name up.If i recall there's 18 rules to pulling a triggar and a 100 yrds is just meant to warm a barrell up lol...

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
poor bullet design and case, sure its an allright caliber but not a good choice for long range, you never hear anyone saying anything good about them when it comes down to long range, i guess is you had a good rifle and reloaded you might make it a decent shooter for 300 yr but thats really it.
300 yds? I've got plenty of confidence in my .270 beyond 300 with factory ammo and i can't wait to try some handloads in it.Rifle is getting bedded and a timney installed at the moment.

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
300 yds? I've got plenty of confidence in my .270 beyond 300 with factory ammo and i can't wait to try some handloads in it.Rifle is getting bedded and a timney installed at the moment.
nomad...given then right shot,

I'd take a deer at more than 300 with my old 270...been there, done that, more than once too !!

....don't forget though.

Some souped up loads aren't always better than the slower ones.

It's true, SPEED kills.....Butttt accuracy ALWAYS kills more ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
LOL we were over in PEI IN 93 i was on the rifle team LFAA with a guy from the mainland he put five in the center of mass at 500 yrds standing with a peep an pin site on a c7 thats right 5.56/223 for you civies and he was a tyro(first year rifle shooter)some guys on here probally no him i don't want to put his name up.If i recall there's 18 rules to pulling a triggar and a 100 yrds is just meant to warm a barrell up lol...
Our PWT when I was in the Army used to start at 600 meters and right down to 100 and that was with peep sights on both the C1 and later the C7 not the ones now a days with the scopes.....of course with age comes failing eye and I probably couldn't hit anything @ 50 meters thes days with a peep ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Our PWT when I was in the Army used to start at 600 meters and right down to 100 and that was with peep sights on both the C1 and later the C7 not the ones now a days with the scopes.....of course with age comes failing eye and I probably couldn't hit anything @ 50 meters thes days with a peep ;)
LOL i probaley coudn't see the pin thru the peep i went thru on the c1 as well.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
nomad...given then right shot,

I'd take a deer at more than 300 with my old 270...been there, done that, more than once too !!

....don't forget though.

Some souped up loads aren't always better than the slower ones.

It's true, SPEED kills.....Butttt accuracy ALWAYS kills more ;)
Yeah i'm not looking to break speed records Kevin.Just want to get the best combination of speed and accuracy.Nothing crazy though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tried swapping scopes?

Checked your mount screws? Take the scope and base off and remount everything, those little gunsmith torque wrenches are very handy...I find that 20 inch pounds keeps everything in place. Use the tiniest dab of blue threadlocker on the screws if you need to.

Tightened your action screws? I have a Marlin Xl7 that shoots great with 20 inch pounds, alot of people tighten theirs way more than that tho.

Tried different weights and brands of ammo?

Any muzzle damage?.

I guess if you have seen 2 gunsmiths they would have checked all that stuff. The rest of the potential solutions get expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.