Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Harvesting or killing or?

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Tripple D 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I bumped into a conversation on Reddit where the topic of the term we use for successful hunting came up. There was a person who pushed back on the term harvesting instead of killing. So I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.
For me, I use the term harvesting as a subset of killing. If I run over a deer, I've killed it but I haven't harvested it. Harvesting is killing in a way that allows for the use of the animal. A hunter who gut shoots a deer and waits a day to recover it, finding all the meat spoiled hasn't harvested it.
So, what do you guys think? Harvesting? Killing? Or something else?

#7 ·
Come to think of it....I never hear anyone say " killed " when it comes to harvesting deer, moose, ducks.....any of the game we hunt ! It's always GOT !!
Got my deer...got 3 partridge...got a few ducks.....same thing on and on, over and over...never "killed"

The one thing I and most other do say the word killed...or killing for is related to biding time !

#9 ·
To say you just killed sounds so inhumane after almost I say 90-97 % of those that hunt use "Ethics" and try to dispatch a animal and retrieve it as quick as possible without causing any suffering from the injury we cause it's death by . 15-30 Minute rule after shooting big game as not to stress out a large animal once shot and allow it to surcome quickly from well placed shot .

Waterfowl , going and retrieve it as fast as you can and dispach it by what ever means if still alive , same for upland game .

Trapping , making sure traps are set corectly and checked daily , never leaving a animal in leg holds for any amount of time that is deemed unfit .

I always used the terms " harvested " or "got "

Besides I always knew people who viewed hunting as cruel even as a kid growing up learning the ropes of it , people are over opinionated about things they truly don't understand a thing about .

#13 ·
For me it usually depends on who I'm speaking to, If it's someone who doesn't hunt or isn't familiar with hunting I try to be more soft and use words like harvest, but if I'm chatting with fellow hunter's I'll use words like got, took, shot. Interestingly enough, I listen to the Big Woods Bucks podcast hosted by the legendary deer tracker Hal Blood and his team of guides in Maine quite a bit and they use "Kill" when talking about hunting, I don't find it too harsh but I think it has something to do with the fact that I know these guys are respectable hunters and eat everything they shoot. I think it's quite subjective IMO

Reactions: Statik
#16 ·
Joe my friend, i only gave out 139 awards last year. Between the 4 sites i frequent. Funny that i remember sending one guy in Alberta 5 or 6 for his buddies. Almost 40 went to the capers, with my buddy nominating 8 of his friends. I hand delivered most of those 🙂 and the look on one guys face was priceless, deer in the headlight when i congratulated him on getting skunked.
This year is year 10 and ive started cutting already

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.