Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be worth looking into if you qualify with mama still working full time no good for us :( but. Yes I am running my heat pump 100% now after 4 years only using it for air conditioning and yes I hate the heat compared to oil hot water but my last oil bill made the decision for me
I think the total for median income was like 77,000 in NS for a couple but not sure plus they said one would qualify also for some other NS grants already in place. Some may get a new heat pump for free which is great for Sr's etc

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Once again ... my tax dollars going towards Trudeau's vote buying schemes. They better do something with the infrastructure, because with all of the electric vehicles in the near future, the system can not handle much more. .... not to mention that we lose our power more often in the last few years than we ever had. It's just a matter of time before these left winged assholes ban wood burning. Get ready ... because it's coming.

· Registered
124 Posts
Once again ... my tax dollars going towards Trudeau's vote buying schemes. They better do something with the infrastructure, because with all of the electric vehicles in the near future, the system can not handle much more. .... not to mention that we lose our power more often in the last few years than we ever had. It's just a matter of time before these left winged assholes ban wood burning. Get ready ... because it's coming.
i feel it coming too. Especially with the carbon taxes and heating oil going up lol. Lots of people going back to wood stoves. It’s a scary world where a government bans wood stoves. The future scares me

nothing would surprise me after the last 7 years, especially last 2

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny when I was reading some of white pines first posts I thought man he must be buckmarks brother wonder if he thinks bill gates is behind it all too:p:p
Here you go:p:p dudes

· Registered
5,078 Posts
My son has been waiting since last March to have his fixed. Hard to source parts. We bought a new one a year or so ago with a couple years service coupons. We called and there to busy. If it was working they were satisfied. There are a lot of installers showing up now that are doing it for less than half. People are being gouged in what there charged. My brother got a quote the other day 2 installed for $4800, we paid $5200 for one?

· Registered
2,074 Posts
This whole gov't program is useless. You basically need to make peanuts to get the money, and if you make peanuts it's hard to come up with the other 10-15k that you need to convert to heat pumps. There is very few that will benefit from this program.

· Registered
5,078 Posts
i feel it coming too. Especially with the carbon taxes and heating oil going up lol. Lots of people going back to wood stoves. It’s a scary world where a government bans wood stoves. The future scares me

nothing would surprise me after the last 7 years, especially last 2
Seen some where's the other day were he is considering a carbon assessment tax on your house. Guess that probably means if you use oil or wood you will be taxed more

· Registered
124 Posts
Funny when I was reading some of white pines first posts I thought man he must be buckmarks brother wonder if he thinks bill gates is behind it all too:p:p
Here you go:p:p dudes
Bill gates should go back to being a computer geek instead of trying to be a medical expert. The bigger opponent is communist; China, Russia. China is the biggest infiltrator to Canada though. BC hit hard

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It must be nice to live in your little dream world Joe. The world is crumbling around you and you're too damn blind to see it. Yes Mr Trudeau I will vote for you again
You complain when they send money out of the country and say it should stay in canada and now bitch when they do
make your mind up
Have no fear chicken little I will be releasing the new double model in a month to protect you and your new friend:p:p

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This whole gov't program is useless. You basically need to make peanuts to get the money, and if you make peanuts it's hard to come up with the other 10-15k that you need to convert to heat pumps. There is very few that will benefit from this program.
??? Less than 7K for most. I did mine myself for like 3500 where is the 10-15 coming from Plus that is only the federal grant, provincial applies also to those that qualify

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Don’t forget they will
Make you remove your current oil heat, which will mean you need to get ANOTHER heat source installed along with your heat pump. So prepare for a rewire job To get baseboards installed through the house. Their 5 grand won’t get you far. and like mentioned only the lowest incomes will get anything. The working class family paying thousands on fuel to drive to work won’t get a dime of help.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
??? Less than 7K for most. I did mine myself for like 3500 where is the 10-15 coming from Plus that is only the federal grant, provincial applies also to those that qualify
Professional install from a certified installer Joe. You don't get the 5k for wiring up your own unit that you bought off Amazon. 1 unit runs around 5k installed, if you were doing a whole house I would guess you would need at least 2 units unless you are living in a camp you built yourself too so there is 10k right there. You also need someone to remove your oil tank and furnace etc., also a heat pump can't be your primary source of heat you need a backup. So you either need to install electric baseboard heaters again I dunno how much they run and the min required for a house sq. ft. wise tack on an electrician to do that work you are easy into the 10-15k range as I originally said.

So you get 5k off that 15k even with some of the other incentives they aren't much I feel like when I got mine installed it might have been $250 or something. So you need at least 10k to spare if you were going to convert over your house. I would say the 10k at a bare min, reading from others who have done it it has costed closer to 20k to remove and replace totally with heat pumps without the 5k helper.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Good friend of mine just put a heat pump , after all the discount, incentives or what ever they call it , he's into it for 12K AND the price to remove his furnace and oil tank , he's on fixed income at almost 70 , he clearly said if he knew all this b4 hand he would stay clear , not everything was declared and explained till unit was installed , plus they brought a team from HRM and they did nothing that was explained and did what they felt was adequate and fastest way to get in and get out .

as far as I'm concerned if gotta get rid of oil , i'll go propane first , another guy my age we hunt with just did that very thing and he said savings has been better than expected .

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Professional install from a certified installer Joe. You don't get the 5k for wiring up your own unit that you bought off Amazon. 1 unit runs around 5k installed, if you were doing a whole house I would guess you would need at least 2 units unless you are living in a camp you built yourself too so there is 10k right there. You also need someone to remove your oil tank and furnace etc., also a heat pump can't be your primary source of heat you need a backup. So you either need to install electric baseboard heaters again I dunno how much they run and the min required for a house sq. ft. wise tack on an electrician to do that work you are easy into the 10-15k range as I originally said.

So you get 5k off that 15k even with some of the other incentives they aren't much I feel like when I got mine installed it might have been $250 or something. So you need at least 10k to spare if you were going to convert over your house. I would say the 10k at a bare min, reading from others who have done it it has costed closer to 20k to remove and replace totally with heat pumps without the 5k helper.
A tank of oil is over 2000 bucks now won't take long to pay for itself especially with another 5000 off from the feds plus NS is adding a new program with this
I have saved over 1500 bucks based on my meter reading in two months ALONE and they are not the cold months. If selected correctly one unit will do the one level. Mine is fine with one in a single story with an unfinished basement and bought the same place the contractors get them here not that it matters not amazon and you would be shocked how many it is now their primary and only source of heat now. Nothing is in the league of a heat pump which transfers over 300% of energy vs what is uses propane is 93% at best. Yes I hate the dry hot air heat but it is overall cheap heat vs the rest of the options
But hey to each their own

· Registered
2,074 Posts
A tank of oil is over 2000 bucks now won't take long to pay for itself especially with another 5000 off from the feds
I have saved over 1500 bucks based on my meter reading in two months ALONE and they are not the cold months. If selected correctly one unit will do the one level. Mine is fine with one in a single story with an unfinished basement and bought the same place the contractors get them here not that it matters not amazon and you would be shocked how many it is now their primary and only source of heat now
Does everyone have 10k+ laying around? Do people want to finance 10k+ with interest rates where they are?

I am not arguing with the savings I have a heat pump myself, I am saying that it's unaffordable to switch for most even with the 5k rebate which will only apply to people who can least afford it.

Well legal beagle, try selling your house with only a heat pump, won't pass inspection. You go on about inspections so much I would think you would be up to date on the codes.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Does everyone have 10k+ laying around? Do people want to finance 10k+ with interest rates where they are?

I am not arguing with the savings I have a heat pump myself, I am saying that it's unaffordable to switch for most even with the 5k rebate which will only apply to people who can least afford it.

Well legal beagle, try selling your house with only a heat pump, won't pass inspection. You go on about inspections so much I would think you would be up to date on the codes.
It matters not what one has laying around. pay the same for oil this year or put in one heat pump and add extra pumps later if needed
YOU have one in the lodge :p and where are you getting that one. Ton being sold with just them now daughters friend who works selling homes looking at me right now as I asked her

· Registered
2,074 Posts
It matters not what one has laying around. pay the same for oil this year or put in one heat pump and add extra pumps later if needed
YOU have one in the lodge :p and where are you getting that one
Yeah the lodge has one. Cool here in the summer and well the days where I enjoy getting the fur dryed by a hot hair dryer it's on. Otherwise the propane boiler is running for radiant heat & HW. FYI I converted from Oil to Propane years ago so I know a bit about the differences as well as heat pumps.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts