Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Cheaper than oil, prices used to be dirt cheap but skyrocketed last year, they have stabilised now. Any higher than they are now every restaurant in the province will close.
How much now?? vs last year
Thinking about it on the heat pumps my sister also didnot have the cash and went through some program with NS power and had two installed and pays so much a month on them. no idea what the interest is but an option for low income also. Bottom line there is 5 grand plus more coming from the province that wasn't there fon me when I installed mine :( I didnot even get the 250 since I installed it myself

update I am wrong sister just said they stopped it last week on NS power doing this dam liberals wait now they are not in power :)

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It must be nice to live in your little dream world Joe. The world is crumbling around you and you're too damn blind to see it. Yes Mr Trudeau I will vote for you again
No you are wrong and you would not like to live in my world other than start to think like I have for the last 18 years. It took cancer to fix my thinking and government and what they do I have zero control over after I vote so could not careless

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Hearing today that Trudeaus next carbon tax hike is going to raise heating oil and diesel another 17 cents or more and gas 15 cents here in Nova Scotia (on the news). My son driving 2 plus hours a day to work will be quitting I guess. Not much choice when your fuel bill has become more than a morgage payment. Nothing left for young people, its not doable.

· Registered
3,892 Posts
Does everyone have 10k+ laying around? Do people want to finance 10k+ with interest rates where they are?

I am not arguing with the savings I have a heat pump myself, I am saying that it's unaffordable to switch for most even with the 5k rebate which will only apply to people who can least afford it.

Well legal beagle, try selling your house with only a heat pump, won't pass inspection. You go on about inspections so much I would think you would be up to date on the codes.
Never said anything about just having heat pump , just it 's not affordable for many people . I'm quite aware of codes and such , I for one am just not a fan of heat pumps. Guy across the street install and removes them and says , just as many coming out and not being reinstalled as new ones going in .

· Registered
904 Posts
My son has been waiting since last March to have his fixed. Hard to source parts. We bought a new one a year or so ago with a couple years service coupons. We called and there to busy. If it was working they were satisfied. There are a lot of installers showing up now that are doing it for less than half. People are being gouged in what there charged. My brother got a quote the other day 2 installed for $4800, we paid $5200 for one?
I'd question make and model and get more than one reference before going with a low ball quote like that. Not saying 100% there is something wrong but that price seems way too low to be kosher. I paid around $11,000 for two (one has two heads inside) 6 years ago and that was the lowest of three quotes. So your $5,200 sounds bang on for one now.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hearing today that Trudeaus next carbon tax hike is going to raise heating oil and diesel another 17 cents or more and gas 15 cents here in Nova Scotia (on the news). My son driving 2 plus hours a day to work will be quitting I guess. Not much choice when your fuel bill has become more than a morgage payment. Nothing left for young people, its not doable.
Yep you are right July 1st

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Never said anything about just having heat pump , just it 's not affordable for many people . I'm quite aware of codes and such , I for one am just not a fan of heat pumps. Guy across the street install and removes them and says , just as many coming out and not being reinstalled as new ones going in .
I hate them also Walter terrible heat for a home . Since I have been using mine 100% dry eyes, mouth, nose bleeding and head aches . But doesn't hurt as much as when the oil man comes now :(
Many are upgrading but I have been a year trying to get one coming out to try in a greenhouse and no way , shot or priced crazy for good used. have three contractors watching for me also

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Our house is heated with just a single heat pump. Mind you … it is a fairly large one. Our house is single level, plus a basement.… approx 5000 sq ft. We love it. Set it at the temperature you want and leave it. Of course it is not at all like wood heat. Can’t beat wood heat on a cold day. When we first moved in … there was a oil fired forced air. We hated it. The house would warm up … then you would feel it cool down, then the furnace would cut in again, and it was just a continuing process. The heat pump keeps the house at a constant temperature. And you can’t beat it in the summer time.

· GREYBEARD
3,310 Posts
We had a heat pump installed two years ago and it is used more and more both Summer and Winter.
We also have a wood stove and I agree, you can't beat wood heat.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Our house is heated with just a single heat pump. Mind you … it is a fairly large one. Our house is single level, plus a basement.… approx 5000 sq ft. We love it. Set it at the temperature you want and leave it. Of course it is not at all like wood heat. Can’t beat wood heat on a cold day. When we first moved in … there was a oil fired forced air. We hated it. The house would warm up … then you would feel it cool down, then the furnace would cut in again, and it was just a continuing process. The heat pump keeps the house at a constant temperature. And you can’t beat it in the summer time.
Our is oversized for the house also and if the house had no doors in the bed rooms would be perfect
Girls close those doors and then wonder why it is freezing in the rooms there
It is worth it for the summer alone I agree
After just coming up from the basement burr. I think I have that root cellar for veggies I always wanted :D:D

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Yes down here seems like lots of problems with fijistu, they were suppose to be good. Guess one has to remember where all the cheap parts come from these days.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
I hate them also Walter terrible heat for a home . Since I have been using mine 100% dry eyes, mouth, nose bleeding and head aches . But doesn't hurt as much as when the oil man comes now :(
Many are upgrading but I have been a year trying to get one coming out to try in a greenhouse and no way , shot or priced crazy for good used. have three contractors watching for me also
Funny you say that I have experienced the same. They put it where they said it needed to be, I liked to have put it in a different location. Sitting watching TV it just seems to be pumping into you face and eyes, dry heat.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Funny you say that I have experienced the same. They put it where they said it needed to be, I liked to have put it in a different location. Sitting watching TV it just seems to be pumping into you face and eyes, dry heat.
Same here I hear you and agree. I really have to look at adding moisture but don't want to do that with guns stored :) and adding rust potential if they were rusty old levers I would not care:p. I put a LG in based on a recommendation from a member here some told me they were excellent others junk. Been 4 years and fine so far. I am looking at taking it out this summer putting it into a greenhouse and upgrading to the mitsubishi which they say are the best but expensive and this time ZI will heat the basement also

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Our air gets pumped through the original furnace ducts on the floor, so every room is getting heat/cooling. We shut the floor vents in the bedrooms during the winter. Gets too hot for sleeping.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Our air gets pumped through the original furnace ducts on the floor, so every room is getting heat/cooling. We shut the floor vents in the bedrooms during the winter. Gets too hot for sleeping.
yep they are the best. Neighbor has that also but his unit is like the size of a small fridge and was real expensive and not a split design but a vertical package was ducted right into his old furnace location

· Registered
1,854 Posts
My LG unit is going on 10 years now and no issues. Now after saying this it will probably crap out 🤞. Main compressor outside with two indoor units heating and air conditioning. Heats the house just fine but more so I love the air conditioning in the summer.

Couple of things:

Have the indoor units go thru a deep cleaning every 3 years. Might cost a couple hundred but will extend the life. Some recommend every year but that’s not needed.

Run the heat on the units a few times in the summer. This will help avoid mould from condensation buildup. Only need to run on heat for an hour or so each time.

Once a year (before heating season) put a shop vac hose over the outdoor condensation drip hose (s) near the compressor, then tape over for a seal and run the shop vac for a minute. That will clean / clear out any possible future issues. Condensation buildup in the indoor units over time will clog the system and water will run down behind the unit along the walls onto the floor. Seen this happen so to avoid a large tech repair bill the shop vac technique worked like a charm and remedied the issue.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Great information and you told me that in a pm some time ago and I had it done since. Thank you
I think you were also the member that suggested the LG to me if so thank you again. :)
I am more than pleased with it so far and it was 1/2 the price of some others at the time and simple to install
Take care

· Registered
904 Posts
We had a heat pump installed two years ago and it is used more and more both Summer and Winter.
We also have a wood stove and I agree, you can't beat wood heat.
We use ours for air-conditioning mainly. Almost never turn them in in winter. Set them on dry at about 22 and it doesn't matter how hot and humid it gets!
My wife doesn't like forced air heat and we have hot water baseboard heating which really should be used in colder weather to reduce the chance of frozen pipes.
I also agree you can't beat wood heat! I heated my first house entirely with a wood stove. Loved it. Especially since I got my wood free for years.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
We use ours for air-conditioning mainly. Almost never turn them in in winter. Set them on dry at about 22 and it doesn't matter how hot and humid it gets!
My wife doesn't like forced air heat and we have hot water baseboard heating which really should be used in colder weather to reduce the chance of frozen pipes.
I also agree you can't beat wood heat! I heated my first house entirely with a wood stove. Loved it. Especially since I got my wood free for years.
Yes you can. Not hard to tell you boys were not raised on COAL :)
Now that is HEAT all windows open in the middle of feb and still baking in the house and in those days when I used it here 95 being a miner with a coal card got my coal for 22 bucks a ton and used 7 ton a year
Do the math on that one my friend but man is it dirty . Took it out in 98 and still coal dust and soot in things in the basement no matter how well we cleaned
Cheers

· Registered
904 Posts
Yes you can. Not hard to tell you boys were not raised on COAL :)
Now that is HEAT all windows open in the middle of feb and still baking in the house and in those days when I used it here 95 being a miner with a coal card got my coal for 22 bucks a ton and used 7 ton a year
Do the math on that one my friend but man is it dirty . Took it out in 98 and still coal dust and soot in things in the basement no matter how well we cleaned
Cheers
No wonder you had the frigging windows open! 😊 7 tons! Holly crap! Most people burning mainly wood burn 3 maybe 4 cord a year.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts