Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
911 Posts
Don’t forget they will
Make you remove your current oil heat, which will mean you need to get ANOTHER heat source installed along with your heat pump. So prepare for a rewire job To get baseboards installed through the house. Their 5 grand won’t get you far. and like mentioned only the lowest incomes will get anything. The working class family paying thousands on fuel to drive to work won’t get a dime of help.
It came out last night to set up properly with heat pumps is in the 20 thou range i got an older farm house with heat pumps their not worth a shit in the coldest weeks in the winter .They are ment for large long rooms not a bunch of LITTLE rooms like alot of the older houses.You deffinatly need a reliable back up if you have an older house i'm livin it and don't care what anyone says about efficiency.Then once everyone is changed over guess who's going to be jacking electricity up or wait till power is out for a week in the winter your goin to need a bigger gen.
Whats the price of the big ground unit that replaces the hot air furnace and is hooked up to existing vents that what i will probally need at the end of this bs.Is it just me or does anyone else feel like a tax serf...

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It came out last night to set up properly with heat pumps is in the 20 thou range i got an older farm house with heat pumps their not worth a shit in the coldest weeks in the winter .They are ment for large long rooms not a bunch of LITTLE rooms like alot of the older houses.You deffinatly need a reliable back up if you have an older house i'm livin it and don't care what anyone says about efficiency.Then once everyone is changed over guess who's going to be jacking electricity up or wait till power is out for a week in the winter your goin to need a bigger gen.
Whats the price of the big ground unit that replaces the hot air furnace and is hooked up to existing vents that what i will probally need at the end of this bs.Is it just me or does anyone else feel like a tax serf...
Good read here IMO

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Our heat pump is a Tempstar. It has a rating of -19 degrees Celsius... from what I can remember. If the temperature goes below that … a heating element in the “furnace” (not sure what you call it) (air handler unit ???) will turn on for “emergency heat”. The only time our emergency heat cuts in, is if you crank the heat up by 3 or more degrees at once.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Don't know a lot about these but if you have a hot air furnace now with ducting expensive but yes you can get something central like buckmarks to work with the size of your house if not I hate to say but you and the mrs may have to look at other options :)

· Registered
904 Posts
You're right. Heat pumps lose efficiency as it gets colder so that under -29 C they are not heating much if any. Or at least that was the case 6 years ago. At that time I was told by a guy that worked for one of the manufacturers not to believe any BS about any of them working below -20 because they simply didn't. You always need a backup heat source in this climate IMO.
As to the large ducted units, my understanding is that set up is actually less efficient than the ductless ones. Only advantage is the warm air is pumped into each room. Unless you went with a water to air unit maybe but those are not cheap either.
As you say, the ductless units are made for large rooms and/or open plan interiors.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
TonyM said :
”Or at least that was the case 6 years ago. At that time I was told by a guy that worked for one of the manufacturers not to believe any BS about any of them working below -20 because they simply didn't.”

Interesting - guess I’ll need to let my unit know to stop working after -20. I’m assuming by BS that the expert who works for a manufacturer is saying people are lying? Maybe he should have said their efficiency will decrease in colder weather.

For chopped up rooms as “682 bubba“ mentioned (smaller rooms in older houses) the ductless heat pump will not be efficient. Any twist, turn or corner is an issue.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
May drag my sore body to the woods tomorrow. Nothing heats up the house on the cold damp days like hardwood, and especially during a bad storm and no power :) . We put one heat pump in but frankly it was more for the dog in the hot summer.

· Registered
46 Posts
Yes you can. Not hard to tell you boys were not raised on COAL :)
Now that is HEAT all windows open in the middle of feb and still baking in the house and in those days when I used it here 95 being a miner with a coal card got my coal for 22 bucks a ton and used 7 ton a year
Do the math on that one my friend but man is it dirty . Took it out in 98 and still coal dust and soot in things in the basement no matter how well we cleaned
Cheers
This is very interesting and u actually worked in a coal mine.How did you get it delivered?Im going to do some research on heating with coal,pretty cool stuff imo.My grandparents used it(i remember almost like a horse stall in their basement wher the coal was stored)but not my parents,they heated with wood.I heat with wood myself and its not cheap anymore

· Registered
46 Posts
May drag my sore body to the woods tomorrow. Nothing heats up the house on the cold damp days like hardwood, and especially during a bad storm and no power :) . We put one heat pump in but frankly it was more for the dog in the hot summer.
Forget the damp its supposed to be -10 tonite thats just dam cold then -3 in the morning with windchill of -15😬Then rain again.Nice mild fall its been though cheap heating season thus far. Cant agrree wit you more,i will be out wandering around the woods also tomorrow morning,and will be very thankful when i return frozen,and feel that blast and smell of 80 degree wood heat smack me in the face when i open the basement door.The older i get,the more i look forward to the simple things rather than the hunt itself,like coming home from hunting to a nice warm fire and maybe the smell of a roast or a stew in the slow cooker

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
This is very interesting and u actually worked in a coal mine.How did you get it delivered?Im going to do some research on heating with coal,pretty cool stuff imo.My grandparents used it(i remember almost like a horse stall in their basement wher the coal was stored)but not my parents,they heated with wood.I heat with wood myself and its not cheap anymore
I worked in the engineering department for devco for over 23 years and in charge of their coal clearance systems so spent a ton of time underground at all sites since 95% of the equipment responsible for and men that took care of it was all underground. I was not classed as a miner but wrote and passed all provincial mining papers right to underground manager papers in case my dept got cut I had a ton of other options for work underground ( where the real money was :) ) . I was one of those bad non union management:D:D employees
On the domestic coal It was real simple on the side of the house a basement window was replaced with a door and a chute
The driver would back in a hand load a ton down the chute into my basement into a large hopper
I would then shovel it into the stoker from the hopper about every 4 days and take out the ashes and clinkers. We used what they called pea coal since it was sized under 3/4" I think to run in the worms of the stoker. This is the iron fireman stoker same as mine which in my case fed an arco 22 coal hot water furnace which fed baseboard hot water heaters same in my case as used in oil; furnaces not the older cast iron ones
In my garage I hand fed a old warm morning coal stove
Cheers
iron fireman stoker

my warm morning exactly like this one

· Registered
904 Posts
TonyM said :
”Or at least that was the case 6 years ago. At that time I was told by a guy that worked for one of the manufacturers not to believe any BS about any of them working below -20 because they simply didn't.”

Interesting - guess I’ll need to let my unit know to stop working after -20. I’m assuming by BS that the expert who works for a manufacturer is saying people are lying? Maybe he should have said their efficiency will decrease in colder weather.

For chopped up rooms as “682 bubba“ mentioned (smaller rooms in older houses) the ductless heat pump will not be efficient. Any twist, turn or corner is an issue.
I was told by the seller that the ductless
Fujitsu units we bought, which were supposed to be best tech available then in 2016, really didn't work below -20.
Yes, BS includes lying. Though, I have to say, no one at the companies I talked to ever claimed any different, I presume someone out there was claiming different or the guy wouldn't have mentioned it.

· Registered
46 Posts
I worked in the engineering department for devco for over 23 years and in charge of their coal clearance systems so spent a ton of time underground at all sites since 95% of the equipment responsible for and men that took care of it was all underground. I was not classed as a miner but wrote and passed all provincial mining papers right to underground manager papers in case my dept got cut I had a ton of other options for work underground ( where the real money was :) ) . I was one of those bad non union management:D:D employees
On the domestic coal It was real simple on the side of the house a basement window was replaced with a door and a chute
The driver would back in a hand load a ton down the chute into my basement into a large hopper
I would then shovel it into the stoker from the hopper about every 4 days and take out the ashes and clinkers. We used what they called pea coal since it was sized under 3/4" I think to run in the worms of the stoker. This is the iron fireman stoker same as mine which in my case fed an arco 22 coal hot water furnace which fed baseboard hot water heaters same in my case as used in oil; furnaces not the older cast iron ones
In my garage I hand fed a old warm morning coal stove
Cheers
iron fireman stoker

my warm morning exactly like this one

This is so cool thank you for sharing all the information:)

· Registered
1,854 Posts
My 2013 LG worked at temps below -20 C (unless Environment Canada weren’t reporting correct temps in downtown Fall River).

Some Daiken and LG’s are rated for -25 C Don’t know about other brands except:

From Fujitsu’s website. (good for -26 C)

….. anyway, “you presumed that someone out there was claiming different or the guy wouldn’t have mentioned it“ - maybe it was much more than one person and that’s why he mentioned it. 😉

Bottom line is that they are a great heating/cooling option for a lot of homes whether -20 or -26.

Edit: just got a text from my buddy in Halifax who installs and repairs Ductless Heat Pumps. Let’s just say I’m not out to lunch - at least not on this subject. They really do work below -20.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
I hate them also Walter terrible heat for a home . Since I have been using mine 100% dry eyes, mouth, nose bleeding and head aches . But doesn't hurt as much as when the oil man comes now :(
Many are upgrading but I have been a year trying to get one coming out to try in a greenhouse and no way , shot or priced crazy for good used. have three contractors watching for me also
What’s more important money or your health?

· Registered
7,526 Posts
My son switched last yr. Had oil fired furnace. So heat pump, back up propane system, remove old furnace and tank - total- $ 22,500. As to the rebates still waiting getting the run around on both provincial and federal. Told him who to call to straighten it out but he seems to know better.
As to the rebates , well lots of curve balls, the best one - certain heat pumps qualify there is a list but the list is a moving target. People follow the list pick one and even go through NSP all is fine until they find out the heat pump they purchased was removed from the list, even after their’s was installed and on the list; still get denied the rebate! So don’t count on getting the big rebate $$$.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
What’s more important money or your health?
Can't take care of my health if I have no money to buy my pills which are like 1200 a month of which I pay 300 but real soon will have to pay it all when my plan stops
last year it cost me 3600 for just the house in oil this year if nothing changed I am on route to hit 8600 something has to change
It was 1.80 a L yesterday

· Registered
46 Posts
Technology.Give it a couple years and we will be replacing our heat pumps with the next "most efficient" means of heating.These things are great in the summer months,and do heat in winter,but when its really cold they struggle,and we see that struggle in our power bills.I find the heat patchy,warm in some areas,cold in others.Personally,im not fan for wintertime heating.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Technology.Give it a couple years and we will be replacing our heat pumps with the next "most efficient" means of heating.These things are great in the summer months,and do heat in winter,but when its really cold they struggle,and we see that struggle in our power bills.I find the heat patchy,warm in some areas,cold in others.Personally,im not fan for wintertime heating.
Agree but the hit on my power bill for two months so far was only 30 bucks vs I would have used about 1500 in oil
It was minus 8 here this morning and I finally turned the furnace on for a couple of hours so the girls would be warm getting out of bed and that heat pump has not shut down for one minute all night
Both said OMG the house is so nice and warm what did you do :)

41 - 60 of 77 Posts