Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Professional install from a certified installer Joe. You don't get the 5k for wiring up your own unit that you bought off Amazon. 1 unit runs around 5k installed, if you were doing a whole house I would guess you would need at least 2 units unless you are living in a camp you built yourself too so there is 10k right there. You also need someone to remove your oil tank and furnace etc., also a heat pump can't be your primary source of heat you need a backup. So you either need to install electric baseboard heaters again I dunno how much they run and the min required for a house sq. ft. wise tack on an electrician to do that work you are easy into the 10-15k range as I originally said.

So you get 5k off that 15k even with some of the other incentives they aren't much I feel like when I got mine installed it might have been $250 or something. So you need at least 10k to spare if you were going to convert over your house. I would say the 10k at a bare min, reading from others who have done it it has costed closer to 20k to remove and replace totally with heat pumps without the 5k helper.
Just what6
It matters not what one has laying around. pay the same for oil this year or put in one heat pump and add extra pumps later if needed
YOU have one in the lodge :p and where are you getting that one. Ton being sold with just them now daughters friend who works selling homes looking at me right now as I asked her

Just want to clarify. daughters friend was here last night and I discussed this in detail and told here I have a smart beaver friend that says it won't pass inspection with just heat pumps but I also know of some homes you sold that just had them
Her words yes joe he is right but the inspector could not careless they just report what they see to who hired them
It is the insurance companies and banks that care
So if your heat pump is right into ducting in the home 100% fine by itself
If ductless yes we need another heat source for insurance and the bank but all that is being done is they install one electric header in each level and it is fine. not right I know but that is what is going on

· Registered
46 Posts
Agree but the hit on my power bill for two months so far was only 30 bucks vs I would have used about 1500 in oil
It was minus 8 here this morning and I finally turned the furnace on for a couple of hours so the girls would be warm getting out of bed and that heat pump has not shut down for one minute all night
Both said OMG the house is so nice and warm what did you do :)
Well we must keep the ladies happy☺.Cold here also was going to go for a walk with the gun but decided to stay inside where its warm instead.$30 increase over two months in winter?say january or february?Something doesnt seem right.The way i understand it,heat pumps loose up to 50% of their efficiency once the temp hits around -15C

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Well we must keep the ladies happy☺.Cold here also was going to go for a walk with the gun but decided to stay inside where its warm instead.$30 increase over two months in winter?say january or february?Something doesnt seem right.The way i understand it,heat pumps loose up to 50% of their efficiency once the temp hits around -15C
No sept and oct have not run it at all yet in any real cold months. had it 4 years but this is my first year trying to heat with it
time to get my old bud for his morning coffee take care :)

· Registered
38 Posts
Installed 3 heat pumps 05/21 to heat 3,000 sq ft home. 18k btu main, 12k btu in basement and 9k master bedroom. All-in including electrical was $10,200. 12 MWH Solar just went in 2 weeks ago. $29,000 less $6,000 rebate for $23,000 net. Payback on heat pumps is 4 years, Solar 8.5 years. One tank of oil (back up) was $1,600. Dual metering so no on site battery storage. LG Chem Resi 10 installed likely $15,000 (lithium battery alone US$8,500!). Might go with 12KW generator that runs off tractor PTO. Diesel expensive but at idle not too bad. Those units are about $6,000 all-in. Summary, all these endeavours are damn expensive! In NS 19% are on heat pumps now. Solar just over 4,000 residential installs. JCG

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Good read here IMO
682bubba said
It came out last night to set up properly with heat pumps is in the 20 thou range i got an older farm house with heat pumps their not worth a shit in the coldest weeks in the winter .They are ment for large long rooms not a bunch of LITTLE rooms like alot of the older houses.You deffinatly need a reliable back up if you have an older house i'm livin it and don't care what anyone says about efficiency.Then once everyone is changed over guess who's going to be jacking electricity up or wait till power is out for a week in the winter your goin to need a bigger gen.
Whats the price of the big ground unit that replaces the hot air furnace and is hooked up to existing vents that what i will probally need at the end of this bs.Is it just me or does anyone else feel like a tax serf...
I'm sorry I though you wre looking to get into them. Just seen a huge one on the side of your house
How is it working for you

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Installed 3 heat pumps 05/21 to heat 3,000 sq ft home. 18k btu main, 12k btu in basement and 9k master bedroom. All-in including electrical was $10,200. 12 MWH Solar just went in 2 weeks ago. $29,000 less $6,000 rebate for $23,000 net. Payback on heat pumps is 4 years, Solar 8.5 years. One tank of oil (back up) was $1,600. Dual metering so no on site battery storage. LG Chem Resi 10 installed likely $15,000 (lithium battery alone US$8,500!). Might go with 12KW generator that runs off tractor PTO. Diesel expensive but at idle not too bad. Those units are about $6,000 all-in. Summary, all these endeavours are damn expensive! In NS 19% are on heat pumps now. Solar just over 4,000 residential installs. JCG
nothing wrong with 10K IMO for what you have. I know 100% I can do my upgrade for under 7 with a new higher end larger pump and 2 heads this time already priced it out

· Registered
277 Posts
Got a built-in York unit. Was put into the house 18 years ago when built new. No alternate heat source. Insurance wouldn't allow a woodstove. Working on a possible second source/primary source as the 18-yo unit is in the non-repairable state now. It still works fine but when it breaks, it needs replacement, and that's going to be ~$30k because both the external and internal portions need replacement.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Well my son had his heat pump finally fixed again yesterday. Stopped working this am. I think its been repaired five times, long wait for parts. Been with out it since last Feb I believe. Looks great going forward with heat pumps, can't get parts, cheap parts, don't work good in the cold etc, etc With that note I am off to the woods. :)

· Registered
911 Posts
I'm sorry I though you wre looking to get into them. Just seen a huge one on the side of y
They work great in the kitchen and bedroom but today you wouldn't know there running got the woodburner on as well. I got the split head set up by daiken 24,000 mainfloor 16,00 master bedroom and bath the house has great insulation new windows all that.Once the wind gets up and the temp down below minus 20 /25 they are not that warm.I was looking for a price on the big hot air vent setups but at this stage of the game with the price i'm not intrested...

· Registered
46 Posts
Well my son had his heat pump finally fixed again yesterday. Stopped working this am. I think its been repaired five times, long wait for parts. Been with out it since last Feb I believe. Looks great going forward with heat pumps, can't get parts, cheap parts, don't work good in the cold etc, etc With that note I am off to the woods. :)
Time for a change then.Its only november.

· Registered
46 Posts
Got a built-in York unit. Was put into the house 18 years ago when built new. No alternate heat source. Insurance wouldn't allow a woodstove. Working on a possible second source/primary source as the 18-yo unit is in the non-repairable state now. It still works fine but when it breaks, it needs replacement, and that's going to be ~$30k because both the external and internal portions need replacement.
Do you mind me asking how you got insurance with one heat source?I tried this and it was a no go.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
They work great in the kitchen and bedroom but today you wouldn't know there running got the woodburner on as well. I got the split head set up by daiken 24,000 mainfloor 16,00 master bedroom and bath the house has great insulation new windows all that.Once the wind gets up and the temp down below minus 20 /25 they are not that warm.I was looking for a price on the big hot air vent setups but at this stage of the game with the price i'm not intrested...
Understand. It wasn't until today I took a real hard look at your place
Man that home is huge :) and so cool. Was not aware it was a farm house at one time but now I know one can sure see it in the design
You did a beautiful job doing it all over

· Registered
3,437 Posts
TS … we had a new heat pump (they call them air handling units) installed in our house in Florida last November. It shit the bed a few months ago. We waited four weeks for the parts. Technician said the heat pump demand is so high, there are no parts around.

· Registered
904 Posts
My 2013 LG worked at temps below -20 C (unless Environment Canada weren’t reporting correct temps in downtown Fall River).

Some Daiken and LG’s are rated for -25 C Don’t know about other brands except:

From Fujitsu’s website. (good for -26 C)

….. anyway, “you presumed that someone out there was claiming different or the guy wouldn’t have mentioned it“ - maybe it was much more than one person and that’s why he mentioned it. 😉

Bottom line is that they are a great heating/cooling option for a lot of homes whether -20 or -26.

Edit: just got a text from my buddy in Halifax who installs and repairs Ductless Heat Pumps. Let’s just say I’m not out to lunch - at least not on this subject. They really do work below -20.
Glad to hear the LG works well for you. Interesting I was told -20 was pretty much a go/no go point by more than on person in 2016. Maybe they were all trying to manage my expectations? Don't know, but if that was their plan, it worked. :)
We're happy with the Fujitsu units we have even though we don't heat with them. Or maybe I should say didn't. With the price of oil now I just may be able to convince my wife to use them more for heat this year to try to save a few bucks. Like Joe, she doesn't like that forced air heat tends to dry the air out more than hot water baseboard.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts