Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Christ he would pass for my old buds twin and those who know who I am speaking of would agree 100% :) yep the guy with one gun for everything and one bullet a year for deer Had a good laugh this morning went to pick him up and there is the slow cooker on the floor in the porch. WTF oh the mrs won't let me cook deer in the house :D:D

· Registered
1,153 Posts
The Proenneke post reminded of this Nova Scotia story.

I came across the hermit's shack while hunting one day, in the area, in the '70's. Fished Gully Lake back then too - nice brightly coloured brookies, from what I recall. Seen him once on his bicycle.

I read the book about him. Interesting read.

I actually saw him in the general store in Earltown once though didn't know what or who he was until I read the book years later.

A woman relative of his would pay his tab at the store but she wouldn't pay for tobacco or booze. He came in that day and must have asked for tobacco because the guy at the counter refused him but he did leave with some food.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
I remember the story was told on the CBC years back , takes you back to when life itself was the important factor and the solitude of being at peace with ones self
He was a WWII deserter. Jumped off the train on the way to Halifax to ship out to Europe and went to ground in the backwoods. I guess pacifists, if that's what he was (I don't recall his reason), were not looked on favourably at that time. If I remember right there was a pardon after some time but he still continued to live in the woods isolated.
Eventually his shack burned down when he was quite old. Locals built him a new place near "town" but he didn't want to stay there and took off for the woods. They didn't find his body until the next spring I think it was.
I must gave seen him no more than 2 years before he died.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Cant even imagine living like this.Takes a special person.Love going to camp but i love coming home as well
Some one with serious mental problems and a deserter which this yank has no time for
They called my dad a deserter for a while also coming up here to work in the coal mines from west virginia and not going to nam but he was here way before that started and his family sure went lucky no one died but my 1/2 uncle half assed they called him lost a butt cheek like he said from running away for his life and got shot in the ass he is gone now but never said a word about it and no wonder I can just imagine what he seen and did. Brother still has his m16 which I sent down in 78 I think and looked like it had a million rounds through it

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Cant even imagine living like this.Takes a special person.Love going to camp but i love coming home as well
I think it is fair to say the isolation for so many years did not help his mental state.
As you say, its nice to camp and get out in the woods but nice to get back to modern conveniences too.
I had a brother in law (former bil now) that left a good job and moved back in the woods here in NS back in the early 80's. The first winter (they were over a mile from plowed road) no car, no phone, no running water, not even a generator! And the son had to walk to get the school bus!
Bit crazy if you ask me!

· Registered
240 Posts
You know i spent the nite in camp tuesday alone relaxing with some drinks fried beef weiners onions and mushrooms not a sound but the woodstove very peaceful.But im almost to the point where id just as soon sleep in the comforts of my own bed along with electricity and a toilet.I appreciate my home and everything that comes with it more it seems as i get older.Funny years ago i couldnt wait to head to the woods for a couple nights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts