Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the evening before the season starts for hounds and bunnies and every other year id be checking my gear to make sure it was all in order, this year ill be sitting out to allow Maggie more time to recover from the stress of pups on her.
Itll be odd not going but the pups haven't been off her 3 weeks, our first outing will be American thanksgiving weekend in cb. All the pups will be in their new homes and Nori will staying with the inlaws while we chase bunnies. Ill bring a fresh bunny home for her to "chase".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah I’m itching to run the dog. I’ll be home off the boat in a few days and not due back to work till mid January. So there will be lots of bunny hunting in my future. Seemed to be a decent number of rabbits in the areas I hunt in the spring, early summer. Hope the population is still good

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im days away from getting out. Ive checked my gear, twice. Got everything lined up ready to pack in the car and this morning i wake up to a white world!
Now i gotta go to work wishing i could run the hounds in this first snow, the brown bunnies wouldn't know what to do, or which way to run.
And the cape is still getting rain

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Im days away from getting out. Ive checked my gear, twice. Got everything lined up ready to pack in the car and this morning i wake up to a white world!
Now i gotta go to work wishing i could run the hounds in this first snow, the brown bunnies wouldn't know what to do, or which way to run.
And the cape is still getting rain
Rain it hasn't stopped. Left one of those big wheel barrels out and it is full of water and spilling over the sides
Watched my fox friend last night going with one of your brown bunnies . First one I have seen in months bunnies that is
Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ran the dog for a quick training session on Monday before all the rain. The woman’s been complaining about how wild the dogs been recently in the house and needs to burn some energy off. Took him to spot we train at during the summer not farm from the house, where I’ve been seeing reasonably good numbers of rabbits. No deer hunters in the area I’d be disturbing either. Out in the woods half hour after legal shooting time, threw the GPS collar on him. And he had one kicked up in a couple mintues. Rabbit skirted the bike trail a few times in the circles but never popped out. After 45 minutes of this decided to go in the woods. Was full of blow downs and thick balsam for trees. Stood on one of the blow downs to get a better vantage point, seen a half white flash coming my way and bang. First rabbit down of the season. Showed him the rabbit and he was gone back into the thicket again on another rabbit he smelled in his travels. Back barking again in minutes, he brought that rabbit around to almost the exact spot I shot the first one. Leashed him up and brought him a 100 yards further down the trail. Took him about 5 minutes to get another one going. First circle around, little brown rabbit cross the bike trail and and 2 quick shots, cause I missed my first 3 down. Turns out that was a stray, and not the one he was on. By this time the wind had started to pick up probably blowing the scent around and he was struggling to hold it as solid. But he pushed through and 30-40 minutes later I shot the 4th. I grabbed him and we went back to the truck with the morning finished around 11:15 and weather worsening. He still had lots left in the tank but good 1st trip for him

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This day is dragging along and im about insane. Yes almost, not quite, but nearly
Sitting here triple checking the stuff ive double checked ten times now, im all set for the morning, Maggie is in need of a good run, boomer i think hes going, tony has arrived in cb for his anticipated super duper triple bunny down feat. A feat i must say that he missed before due to a flaw in his reasoning and lack of concentration.
This should be Maggie's crowning year, she has the drive, she has the focus, she has the speed, this year she should catch her first bunny without an assist from any hunter. Boomer caught 6 in his career and i think Maggie will surpass that number.
Only 16 hrs left before we hear that familiar chorus

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
The rabbits are all washed down stream now Tim...head to the ditches and the ocean's edge

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
Haven't heard ya mention it...so I'm assuming you'll not be breaking in the new 28 ?

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
I got 2 emails today from CP...sorry for "your delays...we'll do our best to get your goods to you as close to the original time as was quoted" !!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Delivery date 3dec
Ill have to use my 20ga mossy that ive been using for tge past year. #6 thru a mod choke will slow em up for the hounds to catch.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
I got 2 emails today from CP...sorry for "your delays...we'll do our best to get your goods to you as close to the original time as was quoted" !!
They are using their old favorite on me :(
Delivery By Canada Post
Tracking ID:
Thursday, 25 November
10:28 AM
Delay in delivery due to external factors

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
# 6..Thats bird shot...almost sporting clays stuff. You need some good # 2s, 3s or 4s !! Something that'll penetrate and not sting their arses..lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts