21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I dont need to kill em, just slow em down for the hounds
12 hrs before i head to the spot and prepare to RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Im like a kid on Christmas eve, excited for the event...tomorrow
Not sure ill sleep well in anticipation of the morning to come.

·
Registered
15,799 Posts
Wife just said is that thunder I hear all morning . I said nope my guess tim and his crew of bunny hunters have arrived:p
Hope you do well Tim :)

·
Administrator
10,511 Posts
He probably only got one box of shells left outta 6...🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I was awake at 6 ready to go, the hounds wanted more sleep. Finally at715 they stirred so i got up.
Made my tea, breakie, fed the hounds, fed the puppies, then sat around waiting for time to go.
We met at the spot at the usual time, geared up and walked in about 300m before we set the hounds free.
It wasn't a minute and boomer was sounding off, Maggie was right behind with her chorus. The hounds chased it back and forth across the road a few times before we ended that chase. Unfortunately for the hounds it wasnt the one they were chasing, they continued the chase for another 5 minutes. #2 dropped and Maggie brought it to me.
The hounds were on different bunnies and when they came close ya had to have eyes everywhere to cover the alder thickets as the bunnies flashed by. You were lucky to catch a glimpse of white as it ran past.
Standing in a small clearing in the middle of the alders i saw a flash beside me and turned to see the bunny running away from me but toward boomer, things were going to get interesting.
Someone fired, the hounds chased on, running the circle closing the distance to me, i blinked and missed it as it ran by, it stopped to catch its breath as i ended the chase. Once again Maggie brought it to me, proud as can be.
Catch the hounds, move 100m and start again. Maggie starts the song, boomer singing backup.
Round and round a very tight circle several times without a glimpse, we move in as i see it cross the road. Wasn't long before it crossed back and once again running the same tight pattern. I moved in and waited as it came around and we had #5 , not bad for 1230! Boomer came over and laid down beside me tired, done.
I started to walk him back to the car when he dashed off on another mission. It took another hour to get the last one and the hounds.
A great day out with good friends. The hounds are now stretched out tired after the run today.
It was worth the wait,

·
Administrator
10,511 Posts
Great story Tim !!! Thanks for sharing... lmfao

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey i got as many as the other 2 guys combined.
I got 3 outta 6 shots, tony got one for 3 shots , while andre managed 2 outta 4 shots.
It was good to get out again with the hounds and friends.

·
Administrator
10,511 Posts
I said that cuz you only had the first line and a half posted....lol...you went in and edited in the rest of the story 😅😅😅

·
Administrator
10,511 Posts
Sounds like a helluva opener for you and the rest of the hare hitmen !!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes the "bunny blasters" had a great opening day and we made plans to return dec27th (boxing day is Sunday) and kick more bunnies to the curb.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hard to say after one outing but we usually get a few more from that spot
Ill know once i get out more whether or not numbers are up or down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I run about 20 regular cameras and 7 cell cams. Plus all the walking/scouting a lot through the year and also running the dog. I’ve noticed a small increase in the rabbit population in the areas I typically hunt. But as per usual there’s pockets with good numbers

·
GREYBEARD
3,069 Posts
Congrats on the bunnies and what sounds like a great day Tim!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got the dogs collars charged up, going to take him for a run tomorrow with a buddy. Staying fairly close to the house. Going to take my sweet 16 A5 for its first shoot of the year. Hopefully they move better in the open areas with the snow down

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Im going Tuesday with a few if the guys. My new bunny buster is ready to go

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yesterday went off to a great shot. Let the dog out, he jumped a rabbit in the first couple minutes. Couple minutes later, the rabbit crossed the road and I shot him. One down! Dog went back into the thicket and jumped one that took off 550-600 right off the hop, no circle just a B-line down the bike trail. As we were chasing after him to get into position, noticed the bike trail cleaned out more than it was 10 days prior. Upon closer look, located 3 coyote snares. I’m not against trapping in the slightest, just wished they were marked somehow, so fellas like me that run dogs would know to stay clear of the area. So gave my buddy my gun, and went in diving into the thick woods after, as I didn’t care about shooting the rabbit anymore. Just didn’t want the dog to run into any traps I couldn’t see. After some struggle, finally got him. Walked back to the truck, and drove to another spot. He was off and running on another rabbit in minutes, couple circles and he came blazing by me, ripped 2 quick shots as he crossed the road. Must have hit him in the back legs as the dog caught him a few minutes later. 10-15 minutes later, he jumped another that ran the tightest circles and never wanted to come in the open and the dog was right on its ass the whole time. My buddy went in the woods, and shot he said after the rabbit near ran through his legs. At this point the wind had picked up and the rain was starting to come down and we called it a day

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well with that bout of snow gone. That only lasted a few days and getting the dog updated on his yearly shots. We’ll be back out and running tomorrow, a half day Friday and bunch of us going Saturday where we had good success last year. Rabbits should be glowing like light bulbs going through the woods now

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Im getting slack in my reports, ill try to do better

Last Tuesday it was only 3 of us with 2 hounds in an area that held good numbers last year, this time round it seems that the bunnies knew we were coming and vacated the area. The hounds ran well but we couldnt get in the right spot at the right time.
I did manage to stop one as it tried to sneak past, turned out to be a stray. I still left it for Maggie to bring to me once she found me again.
It was rough going as they were running a swamp and a blow down area, advantage to bunnies.

Saturday we went out again in the pre rain storm. The snow from the previous storm was heavy on the branches and caused a lot of movement in the woods. The wet snow clogged the bells so we had no direction on the hounds if they weren't barking. The snow was up to the hounds bellies making their chase slow, painfully slow. They would pick up and lose the scent in 20ft, making our job harder than hard as we never knew where to be. Once you thought you were in a good spot the bunny got the message and moved on. Im guessing the area was cut 10 to 15yrs ago and is growing back in thick pockets and the bunnies were sticking to the thick stuff. I had one bunny pop out at my feet and was gone in less than the blink of an eye.

Next trip is Saturday with a seasoned bunch of bunny busters lol

·
Administrator
10,511 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ...you're just afraid of pulling the trigger , cuz they cost soooo much lmao

21 - 40 of 106 Posts