Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
I saw that video last season, incredible story. Im wondering what i have to do to be sponsored by Winchester.
Ill make the sacrifice and get more hounds, might need to find a new wife tho.
maybe start by using one of their shotguns and take it out of the box :p when hunting
Sorry Kevin made me do it :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Im up and ready to go, hounds have been fed and are following me waiting to go too.
Gear is sitting by the door waiting for me to make the first of 3 trips out, gear, treats for tony, and then the hounds. The hounds start making that familiar howl once the first load goes as they think im leaving them behind, it gets louder after the second trip. Anyone who thought about sleeping in past 830 gets the wake up howl lol
Time is dragging for me, the anticipation of going back where we hit 19 last year has got me almost as excited as the hounds. Only time will tell if we will have a bumper day, regardless of harvest it will be a great day out with the guys and the hounds, one full hour before the hounds start the long awaited song, bawoooo

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
We made it out alive.
The day started as normal, meeting up and walking in where we wanted to start the hounds. Off they go in search of the elusive bunny, with the gusty wind it was a good thing my hounds have gps collars as we couldnt hear them chasing or singing that song. Howd they get 240m away that fast?? A 3 faced advance brought us within range and we waited for things to come our way. A shot rang out and tony had #1.
Maggie and boomer were chasing different bunnies and we moved around to find the right spot. 25/06 and his hound started before we arrived. His hound was pushing through the alders towards me on the right, Maggie was coming strong on my left, i had my head on a swivel trying to see the flash of movement. Both hounds turned away and i was left with nothing in the middle.
Boomer surprised us .being a full 10min behind, as he followed the bunny despite the gusty winds and brought it around for 25/06, his second for the day.
Maggie was now coming in from 150m on a string, fast and straight towards me. I readied myself just as the bunny busted from the thicket trying to cross 50ft of almost barren ground, i stopped it before it made the other side. Maggie wasn't far behind and brought it to my feet
Boomer was now chasing another , the hounds were going to keep us on our toes chasing separate bunnies. Tony stopped the run after a brief chase #2 for him.
Maggie was stuck chasing one that wouldn't come out of the alders, in we went to get it moving in the right direction. No idea where Andre went as the last he was seen was driving his quad to get ahead of the rabbit we shot 10min ago. Alder thicket around a swamp with spruce trees on one end, and the howl coming from the spruce, i start out and stumble on a path. Just as i get on the path i see tony raise his gun and his third stops as both hounds run past him, stray.
I move in the direction the hounds went and tony walks up towards me and takes a shot at another one hiding under a tree. He looks and cant find it, i tell him to mark it and we will bring Maggie back to chase it down.
I head to cut the hounds off and possibly see the bunny, i stand in a seemly decent spot and take the shot as the bunny tried to slip past. Maggie brings my second and we leash her and take her back to where tony shot, her keen nose doesnt take long to find the fresh scent and with her speed chases it down and again brings it to me. Tony gets half credit as do i lol.
We can tell shes tired as she starts making a bed, only one issue, boomer is still chasing strong. No time for chit chat as we move in to shoot the rabbit and put the hound outta his misery. Tony scoots left, i scoot right hitting the trail. Boomer is coming at his usual break neck trot directly towards the path im standing on so i freeze and watch. Wasn't long before the prey pops out and i fire, bunny runs straight away down the trail, i fire again and mr bunny keeps going. I call boomer over to put him on the fresh scent and he comes out, sorts out the direction it went and is after it only to stop just off the trail. Wahoo i actually hit it, number 3 for me.
Both hounds come in and get treats and the day is done, 7 in totAl. 3 each for tony and i and one we both take half credit for.
Everyone is tired. The hounds are asleep in the car while we chat before we too head our separate ways.

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
You need to load some "good " bunny busting shells for that 28 Timbo.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Im just waiting for your secret recipe to get started joe. Then if i miss in the rare occasions i can blame it on your recipe lol

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
Im just waiting for your secret recipe to get started joe. Then if i miss in the rare occasions i can blame it on your recipe lol
Nothing special about mine for bunnies . Winchester aa hulls, unique powder, aa style wads , winchester primers and no.6 shot
Ok I do use copper plated shot and original winchester AA wads but regular shot and claybusters will work fine also
Cheers

·
Registered
678 Posts
Had a good day yesterday 2 geese in the morn switched to rabbits in the afternoon got 7 not far from my house in a couple of hours walking.Got the rabbits with #4 out of a 20 ga o/u great little gun.

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
Had a good day yesterday 2 geese in the morn switched to rabbits in the afternoon got 7 not far from my house in a couple of hours walking.Got the rabbits with #4 out of a 20 ga o/u great little gun.
Good job :) Boys are living in the hole and only got one goose so far this year :( and hundreds all around them
Boys pounding the bluebills today couple 1000 in the bay now

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hard to recount the story yesterday, lots of action and shooting but ended up 13. Had 5 guns, and rabbits were making quick circles and helped in the speed of being able to shoot so many rabbits. Dog never missed a beat all day. Hopefully get out tomorrow with the old man, as he likes hearing the dog run. Then try and put another smack down on the birds on New Year’s Eve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tim asked me to do a post about our last hunt when I got home. I quickly read his above, so now I have to make sure
our stories match...

This year “Superslickie’s Boxing Day” hunt took place on Monday December 27 (seeing as the 26th was a Sunday).
We headed into the thicket around 09:00 am, cool (-2 C) breezy from the North (20 gusting 40 kmh) with a mix of
sun and cloud. Beautiful day for "rabbit hounding" with beagles Boomer and Maggie.

It took a while to figure out what Boomer’s first rabbit was up to but eventually Tim, André and I got into position.
I found a nice "choke point" between a creek and a ridge with little vegetation and stood in wait. Maggie was on
a rabbit some ways away so Boomer was solo on his but that is no concern for that 14 year old veteran. Boomer
is not as fast as he used to be and his hearing is failing a bit, but then again, join the club. I must be getting close
to 14 in dog years myself so I can relate to some of what he is going through...

Anyway with not a lot of close up pressure from Boomer (nice distancing) the rabbit casually hopped up in front of
me at a leisurely pace and stopped for a pose at about 6 yards just long enough for me to get a head shot.

My memory being not as good as Tim’s I can't recall who fired next, then next, then after that, but I do remember
the final tally was 4 for me, 3 for Tim and a goose egg for André. Very rare for me to get the upper hand on Tim…
and even more rare for André not to score at least one. Technically it was 3 1/2 rabbits for me and 2 1/2 rabbits for
Tim (as he stated in his earlier post) because a lot of the credit goes to the beagles….

On my 4th and last rabbit I could see his eyeball and ears in very thick alders and stunted spruce trees. With the
dogs being well away on other rabbits I shot at what I could see of its head through a hole in the vegetation. It
jumped then did a somersault, then disappeared. I walked up expecting to see it laying there but no trace...even
though I knew I had hit it hard...or as hard as 410 bore 2 1/2" hulls and a half ounce of #4 lead pellets can hit
(which some of you heavier gauge shooters will say is not very hard at all).

After a good search without results, Tim called out to me to mark the spot and we would come back later. I added
a waypoint on my GPS then tried to sneak up and position myself to intercept the rabbit Maggie was on but Tim
beat me to it with a long shot using his recently acquired masterpiece (28 gauge O/U).

When Maggie came up to Tim's downed rabbit, we put her on leash and backtracked using GPS to where I had
shot earlier. She lit up as soon as we placed her on scent. The chase lasted about 3 minutes before she got a
visual of the rabbit and chased it by sight then caught it. She held it down but as soon as it moved she quickly
broke it's back in one decisive shake in her jaws.

I saw the whole scene unfold and Tim was close by so he could heard everything. I shouted out that Maggie had
the rabbit at which point Tim yelled "bring it to me !". Maggie stopped what she was doing, her chest puffed up,
her tail went straight up in the air and she marched right over to her master to drop her prize at his feet. Yes...a
rabbit retrieving beagle….no exaggeration (this wasn't my first time seeing Maggie do this but it still amazes me).

So that's where the 3 1/2 rabbit for me comes....technically I shot it but Maggie caught it so half (maybe even all)
the credit goes to her.

As for Tim’s 1/2 rabbit...he shot at one Boomer was pushing as it leapt across a path. If it had feathers instead of fur
I would have said it flew across the path and Tim didn’t have enough of a lead on its nose... Tim took a second shot
at it some distance away but could not find it so he figured it was a miss. When Boomer followed up on the scent he
crossed the path where the rabbit had "flown" and disappeared into the thicket after it….

It wasn't long before I heard the particular telltale ring of Boomer’s collar bell. You see, when Boomer arrives up to
a dead rabbit he has a way of shaking off the rain, mud, pine needles and such from his coat so there is a telltale
quick succession of “ring, ring, ring, I'm done, ring, ring”. When I heard this, I knew Tim had hit the rabbit and Boomer
must be standing over it so I started bushwhacking double time it in the direction of the bell. Tim got there first and
the rabbit was laying at Boomer's feet.

So three happy hunters and two hungry dogs headed back to town. Speaking of hungry....the goodies (for me) that
Tim was talking about in his earlier post were some of the leftover Christmas Dinner they had enjoyed. For snacks
there were beef and pork kabob, meatballs, wings and pierogis then came turkey dinner with all the fixins’. Hard to
say what I enjoyed the most…....oh yes now I remember....…it was the carrot cake with cream cheese icing….
looking forward to next year. Cheers fellow hunters

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Im glad you enjoyed the entire adventure. Michelle is talking about a February long weekend trip so be prepared.
Tony must be using new math as i had 3 in the freezer and he left with 2 pair. 3+4=7 not his 3 1/2+ 2 for me+1 for boomer + 1/2 for maggie.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the old man and a young fella that hunts with me out today. Ended up with 7, could of definitely had more. Young fella fired 9 shots at the rabbit and never got it while out on the road. My dog is 4 years old now and has caught loads of crippled or hit rabbits that he’s caught up to. But never have I seen a beagle bring the live rabbit back to me like a bird dog. And he didn’t just do it once, but 3 times, couldn’t believe it. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks lol

·
Registered
Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge, model 99 300 Savage
44 Posts
That's awesome. I might try and get my Dad out for a hunt, he won't carry a gun but he enjoys listening for the dog and watching us shooting. He will be 80 in Feb, can't see very well and can't walk for a long distance. As long as we stay close to the truck and the bunnies cross the road, he will have a good time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dads got a old buddy who’s 83 years old, I’m super good shape. Still plays a bit of basketball and walks 2 times a day. There’s a little honey hole close to dads house, small junks of woods with normally a few bunny’s. Rabbits cross in the same spot every time I have ever hunted it. So I put him in this spot before throwing the dog in the woods. And let him rip some shots at the crossing rabbits, more misses than hits. But he has a blast so that’s all I care about
That's awesome. I might try and get my Dad out for a hunt, he won't carry a gun but he enjoys listening for the dog and watching us shooting. He will be 80 in Feb, can't see very well and can't walk for a long distance. As long as we stay close to the truck and the bunnies cross the road, he will have a good time.

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Camo...that's so great for you to do that for the old seasoned hunter !!! KUDOS

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
TIM...what did I tell you yesterday about using unique powder for your 28 ga.... ;) ;) you heard it from the old horses mouth here too...lol

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
TIM...what did I tell you yesterday about using unique powder for your 28 ga.... ;) ;) you heard it from the old horses mouth here too...lol
Unique is 95% of what I use in 28, 16 and 20ga
296 in 410
have never had issues and using it since the 60's
Well yes some issues getting hard to find in stock anywhere last 5 years
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
It was always my goto powder Joe, for a lot of years. Did all my 9mm, 32acp, 38sp, plus 20 ga and 12 ga..esp my 1 1/8 oz zippy sporting clays loads...duplicates the WST zippy 1 oz loads

·
GREYBEARD
3,067 Posts
I agree Unique is a very good powder for 28 gauge, however if you don't already have some, it could be hard to come by unless you have a friend who has some...
Like most powders these days.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts