Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Ross had a small shipment come in bout 7 or 8 weeks ago...6 1 lb bottles...I got 4 of em. Went from 44.99 to 64.99 new pricing this year !!! No wonder peoples hoarding !!

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
It was always my goto powder Joe, for a lot of years. Did all my 9mm, 32acp, 38sp, plus 20 ga and 12 ga..esp my 1 1/8 oz zippy sporting clays loads...duplicates the WST zippy 1 oz loads
Yes Kevin I forgot about the 9mm when I did those. They were 100% unique. Cannot say I did any 12ga however
Cheers

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
I agree Unique is a very good powder for 28 gauge, however if you don't already have some, it could be hard to come by unless you have a friend who has some...
Like most powders these days.
LOL two 8 pounders not opened and one 4 pounder here :) and no not for sale
Always kept two 8 pounders in stock over the years min
Plus the big one I know where it is :) and not out in the cold like most of my powder

·
GREYBEARD
3,067 Posts
Unique is part of my stash or what ever you want to call it, annnd nope not for sale here either:p
I think I paid 32 or 34 a pound? from Ross.

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Jaysus Joe...some of them labels have changed since you've been reloading, metal kegs are no longer used..that old powder needs to be disposed of safely and quickly...you're in luck ol buddy....I have a proper disposal facility right here. Just get Tim to load a pallet in the back of his buggy and he can bring it up for me...won't even cost ya any transportation fees...I'll handle that from my end....LMFAO

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I took the hounds out this morning with longrange and vlad with his 2 hounds. Went to try a new spot that Ive been wanting to try for years.
Drove to the spot playing follow the leader, got geared up and they were off. A few minutes and they were chasing, boomer was making fairly close circles, Maggie was off to truro chasing, and Vlad's hounds were coming . standing on the road as Steve ducked into the woods to cut em off. Too late as they circled away for another loop, boomer was on the left running great, Maggie was having a nap in truro as she was gone from the GPS handheld.
Next loop and bailey and may (vlads hounds) were running the inside tree line and the bunny bounces out onto the road and is coming right at me. Big bounces, high and long, that force me to fire twice before it stops up dead. The hounds are right behind snd check it out tgen back to work.
Back into the woods we go to track down boomers bunny and maybe find Maggie. Round and round they go with several shots fired.
Everything is going great until Steve calls out, "one of the hounds is bleeding!" Everything came to a stop as we gathered up hounds for a field check. Maggie was bleeding good from her left haunch, my day was over 1030. Went home, changed my clothes, wife calls vet, off to vet.
Turns out she has a puncture wound that doesnt require stitching. Head home $206 lighter but we know what it is and have meds for her. We would rather spend now than later for a more serious issue.

Called the guys to let them know what we.knew and to get a bunny count. 6 shots, 2 bunnies in 90min, we will be going back!

·
Registered
Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge, model 99 300 Savage
44 Posts
I took the hounds out this morning with longrange and vlad with his 2 hounds. Went to try a new spot that Ive been wanting to try for years.
Drove to the spot playing follow the leader, got geared up and they were off. A few minutes and they were chasing, boomer was making fairly close circles, Maggie was off to truro chasing, and Vlad's hounds were coming . standing on the road as Steve ducked into the woods to cut em off. Too late as they circled away for another loop, boomer was on the left running great, Maggie was having a nap in truro as she was gone from the GPS handheld.
Next loop and bailey and may (vlads hounds) were running the inside tree line and the bunny bounces out onto the road and is coming right at me. Big bounces, high and long, that force me to fire twice before it stops up dead. The hounds are right behind snd check it out tgen back to work.
Back into the woods we go to track down boomers bunny and maybe find Maggie. Round and round they go with several shots fired.
Everything is going great until Steve calls out, "one of the hounds is bleeding!" Everything came to a stop as we gathered up hounds for a field check. Maggie was bleeding good from her left haunch, my day was over 1030. Went home, changed my clothes, wife calls vet, off to vet.
Turns out she has a puncture wound that doesnt require stitching. Head home $206 lighter but we know what it is and have meds for her. We would rather spend now than later for a more serious issue.

Called the guys to let them know what we.knew and to get a bunny count. 6 shots, 2 bunnies in 90min, we will be going back!
I hope Maggie is doing ok and back in action shortly. I'm going next Monday, hopefully Charley picks up where she left off. We got 5 last Monday, she did good. All the time I spent with her in the woods is starting to pay off.

·
Registered
15,757 Posts
Jaysus Joe...some of them labels have changed since you've been reloading, metal kegs are no longer used..that old powder needs to be disposed of safely and quickly...you're in luck ol buddy....I have a proper disposal facility right here. Just get Tim to load a pallet in the back of his buggy and he can bring it up for me...won't even cost ya any transportation fees...I'll handle that from my end....LMFAO
LOL I hope you have a bag of money. Yep last two of the 12 pounders. We would buy them 6 at a time years ago :(
This is the modern stuff you should see what I have in the outdoor stash some I think the old man bought in the 70's and still works fine
Storage is the key
Lots of stuff the cans are now worth more than the powder in them :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Maggie is on the mend, couple days off and she can go again
Vet took care of her. She should be good to go Monday lol

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Was the puncture wound from the lead shot Tim..or was it a sharp branch ?
We've had branch wounds in dogs before, split pads...tore dew claws too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tim Never mentioned we were stepping on rabbits though out the day in the thickest cover, and managed to hit two trees on follow thurs ,at one point myself and the rabbit surrouned by three dogs close in. I walked out of that mess and got clear. It was fun just getting out. Seen a fox in the mix and so had Tim and had an owl in the mix at one point low to the ground flying from bush to bush after the rabbit went thru.Interesting wet day in the woods. I feel a rematch coming:)

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
My buddy Paul used to carry a bottle of that "new skin " with him for the split pads

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I carry crazy glue for foot injury but the haunch was bleeding good, as a precaution...off to the vet. Vet says probably a branch wound as she was running thickets. It happens, part of running hounds we dont like to think about. Right now shes curled up beside me as usual, she wasn't running crazy with Nori tonight but she was playing with her.

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
yup, it happens, it's sad, but...thats the nature of the beast when running beagles !! You hunt long enuff you'll see it !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah sorry to hear about the dog. I will say though, beagles in my experience are some of the toughest dogs. I’ve seen them fall in a half frozen brook and cut up by the ice and still keep hunting. Break multiple dew claws off in a day/ beat the end of their tail off/ get so many pine needles in their eyes they can’t see, and tge just goes on.
Last year playing in the yard with my lab. My beagle rosco drove a stick through his paws and kept playing . Wife was freaking out, called the dog over, ripped the stick out and bandaged him up to stop the bleeding and was out hunting 4 days later

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Lol...tough little fekkers they are!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Yup shes been running around the house playing with nori all day
Looks like im going hunting monday

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I am heading out on Tuesday with a guy that has a few dogs. Went with him a couple of times last year in the snow. Almost too much snow. We were in a spot with a good amount of rabbits. We have no snow now so it should be much better going. Glad to hear your dog is on the mend, superslickie.

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
No snow means you'll have to just about step on em to get em to move ...but the best side to it is..the look like light bulbs when they do move...lol. good luck to you both !!

81 - 100 of 106 Posts