Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
We head out tomorrow morning, odd weather for January but ill take it. Im looking forward to it, like kevin says theyre going to stand out like javex Bottles on the beach. If the hounds can get them to move we should be in for a great day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We head out tomorrow morning, odd weather for January but ill take it. Im looking forward to it, like kevin says theyre going to stand out like javex Bottles on the beach. If the hounds can get them to move we should be in for a great day.
Yeah we’ll see how the scent is tomorrow supposed to drop to -5 by tomorrow morning. Hopefully the grounds not frozen solid and doesn’t hold scent. But you’re right, they don’t like to move with no snow down, but if they do glow light bulbs in the dark. Can even hear them crunching in the leaves well before you see them too

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I forgot to add a picture of nori with the last bunny i got. She was real tentative on the approach until i dropped it in front of her, then she barked at it before attacking it. Licked it and pulled big mouthfuls of fur before i claimed it. Once i had it ready for the freezer i shared the heart, liver, and kidneys with the 3 hounds. Nori ate her share without hesitation and was looking for more.
Dog Carnivore Floor Art Fawn

·
Registered
Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge, model 99 300 Savage
44 Posts
Went out for a hunt today, did plenty of walking in several different spots I hunted over the years, nothing. Charley was on 1, I missed. Little bugger was all brown. We probably walked 6-8 km and I can count on 1 hand how many turds I saw. It's disappointing. Last week we got 5 on Monday down the 103 near exit 9. So long Stewiacke Valley, it was nice knowing you.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
We went out again today and had a few laughs. We met up as planned did the carpool thing to the hunting spot. We get ready, get the hounds on the ground and chat as we wait for the chorus to begin. Vlad had his 2 hounds and i had my two. We continue to chat periodically checking the gps so we dont lose a hound, at 600m they circle back without a bark, we decided to gather up and move on.
11am we set them free again, Maggie in one side of the road boomer and vlads on the other. We can hear the bells as they move through the woods and we move to stay abreast. There it is, boomers voice ringing clear, hes on! We stop to get a direction and Maggie starts, then vlads two. Things are looking up.
Tony and Vlad go after boomer, Darlene and i head to Maggie.
Maggie is looping towards us so we pick a spot and ready, bunny must've heard us and turned away, farther left and starts back towards us. Im pumped, ready to go, bunny is coming straight at us if the hound is any indication, Darlene sees it behind and takes a shot, Maggie is there in short order and has a quick sniff before heading away. Complete miss, but at least she was ready and took a shot, a marked improvement from last year. Maggie lost the bunny so we moved across the road to help.
We hear boomer 300m out so we move to a spot where the hounds have run and we wait. Bailey and may are coming strong, left to right, and im on a cross path they have to hit. Never even saw them cross 30m away lots of underbrush. Bang! Tony calls out he has the first one.
Boomer is now under 100m and we wonder if hes chasing another one or that far behind. Wait theres bailey picking it up, and may, it was another one!
Of course hes farther in so we move as the hounds run the circle, getting closer, closer, closer, and off to my left where we just left. Thats my luck. Nope boomer is right and i just see white flash by, wait for everything to come back around but boomer decided to take his bunny to truro, another huge circle.
May is coming, bailey is behind, i can hear the bunny in the dry leaves as it moves away, bang, bang. Vlad curses as the bunny comes back my way. It jumps out 11 steps away and i shoot taking the head off.
Maggie is done as she is making a bed. I call to the guys and day is done
Great day out

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely not our best start to the day this year. Went to a spot I haven’t been to in years. At the beginning of the road, it’s normally gated. Well I guess the gated been open since then, and spot I used to walk into has been free range, and not a rabbit to be found. Picked the dog up, and went to a junk of woods in mount uniacke closer to the old mans house, that I never hunted last year. Dog did some crazy circles on one rabbit, couple shots fired but everyone was out of position. Grabbed the dog, and went into my favourite junk of woods, killed up to strays before the dog even barked. Dad shot one, and my friend the other, then Rosco got one going. Quick circle he was down. Then we had a rabbit parallel the road 10 times, never crossed before we got a shot. Short walk down the road, he got another going and got him on the second circle. Was like 3pm by this point, and was thinking about calling it a day, on the walk out but he must have kicked up that crossed the road we never saw. And it ran into a small junk of woods, covered by big open woods on either side. Put him on that rabbit and off like a shot. Barking hard, rabbit came out in the big woods flying more than hoping. And looked like folding a bird might flight into the decoys #5 was down. And headed back to the truck. Not the best day, but salvaged after getting to second spot till 11:30

101 - 106 of 106 Posts