Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not saying that i was excited about the opener today but i woke up at 330 and again at 6 thinking id overslept. Finally got outta bed 730 with the hounds right behind.
The usual routine of getting ready to go was longer as the hounds had to follow me everywhere as id touched a bell and it rang once.
It was finally time to go and load the truck, short drive 3miles down the road, parked and set the hounds up with collars and let them go. They took off running but no song 馃槖, we wouldnt hear that for 2 hours, 2 long hours of walking around moving the hounds farther down the road.
Just as i was getting ready to call it a day boomer started singing, Maggie hearing the song took off to join him, Nori, the pup, didn't know what was going on but headed off after a few minutes.
Tony saw it flash by with a white tail twice with no shot. I saw it once and lined up on it only to see nori headed right at it in my line of fire, i passed.
Rather uneventful after i highly anticipated the start but ill be out again Saturday

Registered
Just good to get out sometimes and hear the dogs howl at them for awhile. I鈥檓 taking the dog out in the morning for a solo run in a spot around the house. Should muster up a few, and should hold good scent after this rain and around 4c - 5c in the morning

Administrator
Little early to start conserving ammo isn't it Tim ??...lmao
That was just a vocal chord warm up for the dogs ol boyyy ! Practicing for those high notes when the scent becomes HOT !

Administrator
Maybe you should be taking super sniffer longrange with you...just in case the dogs lose the scent...he can back track and pick it up again, help those poor dogs out 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ

Registered
Took the dog out for a run this morning. Just close to the house, tried to stay out of some of the better spots till I go with friends. Me and the dog were out of the truck by 7am and headed up the bike trail. As soon as I got to the junk of woods I wanted him to run in, he was off the leash and howling in 10 seconds. Rabbit hoped the road quick before I even had the gun loaded. Made a quick circle, let two shots off, rabbit still running. Bit of rust big time on my part, not used running a pump recently all semis was using my grand fathers 20 gauge wing master. Rabbit circles back again, same thing swing and a miss. Good run for the dog I thought. Rabbit makes another big circle and back, swing and a miss. This was getting out of hand, I was not used to missing on rabbits too often, especially on a road. The dog is holding this rabbit steady, not giving it much time to react, and keeping good circles. He brought him around one last time before I finally nailed it. We were both pumped up, being first bunny of the year.
He quickly ran back in, and got another going he must have smelled another. He was off howling again. This rabbit never came towards the bike trail, probably cause of all the commotion there before lol. And stayed doing tight loops in the swamp. The dog was super tight to the rabbit, first time coming around too close to the rabbit to fire at it. Second time, he came by at Mach 5 across a grassy part in the swamp and I rolled it. But got up and kept going. Eventually the dog caught it and two down.
For the third one we walked close to an hour to get another one going. Same sort of this as the first, tight circles I missed a few times. Getting him on the third circle. He looked a bit tired, so we packed it in and back home by 10:30. Not bad for the first day out 3 bunnies, and bonus bird on the walk back to the truck.

When I was missing, I was noticing most of the pattern hitting a couple feet in front of the rabbit. Do those old wingmasters shoot a bit lower than say a Browning maxus or Beretta

Registered
Every gun is different and different again pending the make up of the individual holding it ie, big small long arms short etc. I would pattern it to see where it's point of impact is for you For example every browning I own I have to shim when new since they all shoot high and to the right in my hands
I say this since you were not with Tim where missing is the norm and not the gun :p:p

Administrator
Ha ha ha ...only if you aim there lol

Awesome story camo...felt like I was standing on the road behind you and having a chuckle !
Thanks for posting!

Registered
Had the dog out for a quick rip yesterday near the camp, managed one in the short bit of time we had. I try not to run him much up here this time of year cause of the amount of deer hunters. Me and dog are at the camp now till the deer tags are filled lol. He鈥檒l probably get run on sundays to keep fresh

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To do list was lost as i took the girls out for a run. Started late 1030 but we walked up the road and i set them free to run and explore. Took about 10min before Maggie started one, Nori stopped to listen before she set off in that direction. I caught a glimpse of it as it dashed across the road 150m away with Maggie not far behind. I stayed put as they were running the line of trees along the road, then nori came from the other side of nowhere and the bunny turned away. A short detour and they were coming fast right to where i was waiting, as the bunny dashed across the road i swung and fired.
Maggie confirmed i missed as she didn't stop. Another sighting but no shot, nori kept her nose to the ground and eventually picked up enough fresh scent to try out her singing voice. It sounded great but it didn't last long, she tried her voice a few times but would lose the scent .

Gathered them up and headed home, a short day out with limited success.
Going to cb Wednesday and chasing bunnies Friday, its going to be fun with 3 hounds running.

Registered
To do list was lost as i took the girls out for a run. Started late 1030 but we walked up the road and i set them free to run and explore. Took about 10min before Maggie started one, Nori stopped to listen before she set off in that direction. I caught a glimpse of it as it dashed across the road 150m away with Maggie not far behind. I stayed put as they were running the line of trees along the road, then nori came from the other side of nowhere and the bunny turned away. A short detour and they were coming fast right to where i was waiting, as the bunny dashed across the road i swung and fired.
Maggie confirmed i missed as she didn't stop. Another sighting but no shot, nori kept her nose to the ground and eventually picked up enough fresh scent to try out her singing voice. It sounded great but it didn't last long, she tried her voice a few times but would lose the scent .

Gathered them up and headed home, a short day out with limited success.
Going to cb Wednesday and chasing bunnies Friday, its going to be fun with 3 hounds running.
Sounds like a lot of fun for the dogs and you even when you don't shoot anything!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My joy comes from watching the hounds work, listening to the song, and on occasion bringing bunnies home
When the pup hit her song it was a magical moment, i had an ear to ear grin and when she came back she got an extra cookie

1 - 20 of 36 Posts