Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
My joy comes from watching the hounds work, listening to the song, and on occasion bringing bunnies home
When the pup hit her song it was a magical moment, i had an ear to ear grin and when she came back she got an extra cookie
Charley started off slow last Thu, she would start a bunny and give up after only a few minutes, she would come looking for me ffs. She did this 3-4 times Thu and Fri morning. When she did this again Sat morning we had a little talk and I may have said a few F-Bombs followed by a few names you shouldn't say to a lady. She must have understood what I said because the next bunny she got on, she chased it for a solid 30-35 minutes. At one point she caught site of it and went absolutely ape chit. Len fired a couple shots but missed (shaking off the rust), he doesn't do that often. I suppose after spending almost 9 months of leisurely walks, sleeping in a comfy bed and laying on the back of my couch like an old cat, it's not easy to get motivated, lol. I'm sure she will do just fine, she certainly loves being in the woods. All a guy needs now is decent weather.

· Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was supposed to go hunting bunnies this morning but i called it off late yesterday afternoon due to an episode with gout. I woke at 4am with my foot on fire and in crazy pain. Pain continued until wife woke at 8am then she tried calling to get a walk in clinic i could go to, i called 811, 3 hours before theyd get back to me. Wife has a virtual clinic she can use through her employer, we went that route, 15min later we had a virtual appointment. Prescription emailed shortly after aling with a note to get a proper diagnoses at the closest emergency room.
Lets just sum it up with 811 suggestion for ER visit (11hrs wasted as we left at 1am with no one taken in for evaluation 90min)
But the drugs worked very well

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
My wife went to a walk in this morning...closed for the afternoon. She tried 3 more...by appointment only now. Couple of bottles of buckles.. some cold and flu pills ndnback home. 5 hrs and 25 bucks for gas...all for not !!

· Registered
17,692 Posts
I was supposed to go hunting bunnies this morning but i called it off late yesterday afternoon due to an episode with gout. I woke at 4am with my foot on fire and in crazy pain. Pain continued until wife woke at 8am then she tried calling to get a walk in clinic i could go to, i called 811, 3 hours before theyd get back to me. Wife has a virtual clinic she can use through her employer, we went that route, 15min later we had a virtual appointment. Prescription emailed shortly after aling with a note to get a proper diagnoses at the closest emergency room.
Lets just sum it up with 811 suggestion for ER visit (11hrs wasted as we left at 1am with no one taken in for evaluation 90min)
But the drugs worked very well
Like we discussed yesterday unfortunately way too much experience with it over almost 10 years .For some reasons here seems to be pit thing since everyone of my old mining buds suffer from it and the rich food I say BS
One event a year and down for a day grew to three or four events a year and down for 7-10 days. Some reason the doc would not give me the gout pill due to o0ther meds I was taking finally I said either give it to me or joking said cut the foot off I cannot spend another 7-10 days in this much pain in a chair
I can guess what meds they gave you but if the same or similar ones strong as F"K and takes the pain away in like 24 hours and the rest of your body feels like you are 20 again. Wish I could take them every day :)
She will only give me those for 5 days since says they will kill, carpet they are that strong
You may never have another event but if you do for me they kept getting worse and last longer each time
Now I take one small pill a day only 100g and she says 400g is the norm and I have not had an event in over a year :)
But also still get that stubbed toe feeling you mentioned yesterday and now when I do know Joe Ok what did yiou eat yesterday best cut that out for a few weeks or gout will come again and it does. For me it is dam beef roast the worst
Can eat all the burger I want but cannot even touch a roast any more . Thank god the shell fish my favorite is fine so far
Take care of yourself and for those that get it know the severe pain you are in and feel with you also BS when they told you the entire foot doesn't get red mine sure did in the end not at first
Cheers

· Registered
127 Posts
Even though it was the last day of general season. We decided to run the dog around the camp. We were either all tagged out or had more meat than wanted. So had him out in the woods for 7:30. Had the first rabbit down by 7:45, cousin shot one in the road. Then after that the rabbits did wild stuff, going 500 yards straight out without circling. After chasing the dog most of the morning, we called it around lunch with 4 bunnies and headed home

· Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Out with a friend today, he asked if i could go so off we went
We parked beside a deer dump area, 9 does, none very big, all with the back straps and hind legs gone. What a waste
We kept the hounds outta the pile and walked up the road before letting the hounds go. They ran crazy for a few minutes before settling down to work. Boomer was first to sound off with Maggie not long behind. Nori, the pup, was running behind the others and caught up with the scent and sounded off.
It was probably 40min before we saw a bunny, a tiny little thing. As it dashed across the road 70+m away followed by boomer, he stayed with it for over an hour without us getting another glimpse.
Maggie and nori kept chasing on both sides of the road. My friend and i were standing shoulder to shoulder looking up and down the road waiting for the bunny to cross when the bunny popped out at our feet before dashing back into the woods towards the hounds. We kept on alert because it had to cross with 2 hounds closing in. It popped back out for me and i fired twice as it crossed the road, Maggie was seconds behind and kept running past where i fired. She wasnt long catching it and bringing it to me, gotta love that retrieval.
Nori was continually finding and losing the track but she bumped one out to the edge of the road between us. Both of us lifted guns, his misfired so i fired and missed before it dashed back in the woods only to reappear 40m down the road with nori chasing it, leaving us no shot.
Wasn't long after the pup and boomer had enough and we called the day? Catching Maggie was a 30min ordeal as she wasn't ready to quit

The sunshine and decent temp made for an enjoyable day out
Cmon Saturday as my hounds will be out mentoring 3 other pups. Let the games begin

· Registered
127 Posts
Took the dog for a quick rip by the house today solo. With it being mild and wet figured the scent be real strong and I was right. Ran him a spot that deer hunter frequent near the house, and I run him a little in the summer. Took a while to jump one, but after that it was game on. First rabbit, came flying by, ripped two shots, never got it. But the dog was very close behind it, circled back around and I nailed it on the same trail less than a minute later. He smelt that one, dove back in, brought another around 30 yards from the first one, let two shots loose. Dog came flying out, and heard the squeals so it caught it. He dove back in the junk again, but this thing circled by the main trail. I ran out to the road, just to catch it crossing. Maybe 40-45 yards running straight down the road, settled the bead on it. And flipped it end for end. With that one down. He instantly went back into the junk the 3 rabbit came out of, and had one going again. This one didn’t behave as nice though. Made 3 big circles before coming back to the road. Finally shot it when it came close. So had 4 down in less than 1 1/2 hours. Went down the main trail further with the dog, going from side to side. He must have seen this one, and he was in hot pursuit right away, and across the road they went with him maybe 5-6 ft behind it lol. When they went across out popped a stray, and sat right in the road. That one didn’t make it lol. He circled it twice, I fired it once when it paralleled the road. Finally came back again, let 3 shots go. And wounded it, dog started going nuts. He must see it solid. Sure enough they come out on the road. Rabbit had just enough life in to be inches in front of the dog. But he eventually caught it when they crossed the trail. So not a bad afternoon 6 total. Was in at 7:30 and back home by 11:30

· Registered
127 Posts
Should be a good time Tim. 6 hounds is a lot of dogs, would sound like freight train going through the woods
Out with a friend today, he asked if i could go so off we went
We parked beside a deer dump area, 9 does, none very big, all with the back straps and hind legs gone. What a waste
We kept the hounds outta the pile and walked up the road before letting the hounds go. They ran crazy for a few minutes before settling down to work. Boomer was first to sound off with Maggie not long behind. Nori, the pup, was running behind the others and caught up with the scent and sounded off.
It was probably 40min before we saw a bunny, a tiny little thing. As it dashed across the road 70+m away followed by boomer, he stayed with it for over an hour without us getting another glimpse.
Maggie and nori kept chasing on both sides of the road. My friend and i were standing shoulder to shoulder looking up and down the road waiting for the bunny to cross when the bunny popped out at our feet before dashing back into the woods towards the hounds. We kept on alert because it had to cross with 2 hounds closing in. It popped back out for me and i fired twice as it crossed the road, Maggie was seconds behind and kept running past where i fired. She wasnt long catching it and bringing it to me, gotta love that retrieval.
Nori was continually finding and losing the track but she bumped one out to the edge of the road between us. Both of us lifted guns, his misfired so i fired and missed before it dashed back in the woods only to reappear 40m down the road with nori chasing it, leaving us no shot.
Wasn't long after the pup and boomer had enough and we called the day? Catching Maggie was a 30min ordeal as she wasn't ready to quit

The sunshine and decent temp made for an enjoyable day out
Cmon Saturday as my hounds will be out mentoring 3 other pups. Let the games begin

21 - 34 of 34 Posts