Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Boxing day hunt was a success!
Ill let Walter add the events to his chronicle.
Kevin i have an eye witness that saw me tag the first one, it ran to cliff edge and threw itself off the cluff to get away from Maggie and i.

· Registered
173 Posts
The young fella took my dog today down towards Windsor/ellerhouse area and they scrounged up 9 between a few different junks I told them about. Dog done pretty good, every rabbit he was on they got and totalled 22kms

· Registered
83 Posts
Had a great day out yesterday with Charley, she was awesome. We only managed to get 2, missed a few more but she stuck on every bunny like chit to a wool blanket. It seemed like every one she was on had to run a marathon, sucked for us but it was great for the dog. It was also good to see strays ripping across the woods road when she was hot on a bunny. I had to take her off the last one she was on, it was 2:15 and we had to hit the road, she was not happy with me at all. She sure slept good last night. I didn't check my GPS but if I was to guess she probably logged 15-20km.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Im thinking im going to take the pup for a run once i get a few things done this morning. We had a skiff of snow last night and want to see whats around for sign around the house

· Registered
173 Posts
Boys ran the dog today around the camp. They managed 5, really good scenting with the warm weather. They said was a few other guys with dogs out today, ran into one group and could hear another dog off in the distance. Seems like everyone was out enjoying the nice day off the dogs

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
What a day we had today
It was light flurries here as we left for the intended hunting spot, we were meeting up with longrange and the new guy. We met up and prepared for the day to come, expecting great things. Today was the first day that boomer does not go of his choice, a milestone.
With the hounds loose in the wet woods it was going to be a great day if they could bump a bunny. Maggie, Nori and Penny (Noris sister) were down to business as they dashed through the woods. 10 to 15min before they pick one up 150m from where i was, so i move to a better spot farther up the trail. Nori has a good scent trail and is singing as she comes my way, nsuplander ended the chase, nori gets full credit as the other 2 are chasing off in the distance.
Wasnt long before longrange had #2, credit to the 2 pups, #3 was an hour to end, we kept closing in around a swamp with a brook in the center, toneman got it with help from nsuplander. Credit again goes to the pups. We decided to move spots so we gathered up the hounds and off we went.
Travis is cold and wet and decides to call it a day, leaves 4 of us with 3 hounds. We let the hounds go about 75m off the road and it wasnt long before the new song began, the pups again start it, we spread out with me going down the main trail, the hounds are running down and away from the others hunters, headed to where i was going. Flash!, it crossed the road. I let the others know and prepared as the hounds had crossed too and headed my way. The hounds lose the bunny and double back, they pick up the trail again and run down the main trail out of my sight, turning to the woods on the trail of the bunny. It did not take long before nsuplander is firing 3 to stop it as it tried to get past.
4 hrs out and 4 bunnies down, not a bad day

The pups, nori and penny, are showing real promise

· Registered
173 Posts
Flew in late Friday night from work. And had my buddies hounding at me to take the dog out. We all met at my house to drive up toward Mount Thom area Saturday morning in a good junk I know up there. 5 of us piles out of the truck at 8am and the dog was off barking before we even had the guns loaded, and rabbit down short time after. With the fresh snow down and temp just below zero, the scent was wicked and the hound out steady pressure on rabbits all day. Ended up with around 2:30 with 8 rabbits in the truck, and pair each for my buddies to take home. Dog ran wicked and they kept him in real good shape running a ton. With the cold temps this week probably focus on Ducks/Geese for the team aiming few days

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
We were out yesterday too, boomer retired and stayed home cuddled with my wife.
We had one of nori's litter mates, rufus, out for the run. Fresh powder overnight and temperature around freezing made for great scenting for the hounds.
A new area to us so we were guessing as to where to begin the day but we finally got a spot picked and let the hounds run. Straight down the road 300m before dashing in and started to work, except for rufus he wanted to play. The girls went to work and they were soon chasing with rufus taking any chance of success away as he would run from where i was into the tree line causing the bunny to alter its course. Tony went in the thicket and managed to hit one, one shot to the butt to slow it down so he could hit the head with shot #2! His 410 made a mess of that one.
Wasnt long before they were singing again with rufus still not wanting to join the ladies, he was leashed and taken out of the woods. We focused on the ladies and #2 was down in short order. We called the day so we could get rufus home and his owner settled down. He was super frustrated with the hounds performance and lack of "drive"

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Back home now warming up with the 3 hounds asleep beside me, i guess chasing bunnies wore them out.
After a minor mixup with location we were finally able to release the hounds. Boomer decided he wanted to go this morning too.
Took a few minutes before the song started, both ladies 130m out going strong, they are small enough to run under the canopy of trees we were not. Longrange went in to rescue the hounds from the bunny while i stayed closer to boomer. For 30min the hounds were running a very small circle about 25m when nori takes a sharp turn away and is pushing the bunny my way, i get ready as boomer crosses in front of me turning the bunny away. They run parallel to the road im standing on for a few seconds before going into the woods. Another big circle before it breaks up with hounds going in different directions.
Maggie and Nori are back to the small circle with boomer on the other side chasing away. I call the ladies off and we move down to where boomer is singing.
All crap breaks out as all 3 are chasing different bunnies within a one acre plot. If they ever come out of that thicket we got them covered. A flash as i was putting on mitts on to try to fend off the -8 temp. With boomer 5min behind the bunnies i focus on the ladies, here they come... Flash, bang. No ideaif it was hit or missed as no hound comes in to check, i go look where i thought it was and see nothing from tge path, boomer comes from behind and goes right in where i fired but doesn't stop. Minutes later Nori comes and follows the same track as boomer, she didn't stop either.
The singing continued as i once again get ready, the hounds are coming back my way but stay in the trees as they pass only to cross the path just out of sight. I relax a bit and wait as they are close, really close. Flash, bang! Reflexes kicked in for that shot, the hounds run past. Maggie comes along and goes in on the spot i fired first, she brings a bunny out and drops it at my feet and gives the look like i get when i cant find something only to have wife come along and hand it to me from where i already looked.
That being done she heads in the spot where i fired the second time but keeps going.
They run for another hour before we call it a day and head back to the cars. Saw 3, shot twice, got 1 , not too bad in the woods today.
The day started -10 and ended up about -4 with bright sunshine and no wind. Great day to get out

· Registered
97 Posts
There a particular name i cannot repeat when 3 hound have 3 bunnies on in a 1acre plot of thick woods. I uttered it a few times yesterday. I was on the line in the open and had rabbits running around me but never laid eyes on 1. I would move to cover the next dog and they were running in my tracks were i stood before. There was so tang manny rabbits the dogs would run one then 20min later they hit a fresh one. I figured 9 different rabbits.The wood next to were Tim was was a massive blow down and the rabbit held up in that mess in the end.I use to hunt one of them 30 years ago with my hound. Next round there I have a plan:sneaky:

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
That was your problem ol boyyy moving all around.. lol youll turn the rabbits every time with your movements...ya gotta sit tight.
Pretty sure all moving bunnys lay down fresh scent except pregnant females and very young (so ive heard)
Must be losing your touch.. you could only sniff out 9 rabbits....lmao

· Registered
173 Posts
Dropped the little fella off at daycare, and was cleaning up some of the gear from duck hunting the last few days in garage. And beagle dog came around the corner and looked at me, almost wonder when it was going to be my turn. Even though it was raining, not much wind, I fought my inner bitch and decided to hit a spot close to the house. Even just to give him some run as he hasn’t been out much to even hang out in the yard with all this rain. Charged his collar for an hour and hit a spot close to the house. Took the 20 gauge Wingmaster for a walk today. Figured I’d change it up after carrying semi’s the last 4 days duck hunting.

Soon enough, he had one running and hard. With the sopping wet ground. The bunny must have been held up under an spruce tree, and the dog seen it and spooked it up. He only let out 4-5 barks and they crossed the bike trail almost together. He held him super tight, and 2 minutes later and smacked the bunny on the second shot. Even seen the water fly off it after it was hit. Dog was only second behind, gave it a few quick bites and gone again. Took him about 20 minutes to get the next one going. But this one was further off in swamp they like to run in. The rabbit and dog made 3 small circles in the swamp before I got a flicker of it crossing through a alder swamp. It sat right pretty and hit it, 30-35 yards away. The dog was still barking, came by but wasn’t the rabbit he was on. I walked over, grabbed that stray, and stayed out. On the next pass the rabbit the dog was on, followed the same trail as the stray. And I hit him, but he never fell right there. Dog came flying by 10-15 seconds later. And ran to where I shot, picked up the trail, and I eventually heard the squeal of the rabbit meaning I got. Fairly soaked, I put the leash on the dog signalling the day was over. Put the dog back on the bike and drove him. Now we’re both curled up on the couch by the fire trying to dry off

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Ahhhhh...great to be that young again... nuthin but pizz and vinegar when you wring out your socks...lol

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
The 10 stages of being "wet" !!

1) I'm wet
2) I'm really wet
3) I'm soaked
4) I'm drenched
5) I'm wringing wet
6) I'm saturated
7) I'm waterlogged
8) I'm soaked thru and thru
9) I'm drowned
10) **see # 1.....I'm wet !!

· Registered
173 Posts
I was at like a solid 7 when out hunting yesterday, with a bit of 5 as I was wringing my clothes out pretty good. What else can you do when you want to go hunting and it’s been raining for almost a week straight lol

The 10 stages of being "wet" !!

1) I'm wet
2) I'm really wet
3) I'm soaked
4) I'm drenched
5) I'm wringing wet
6) I'm saturated
7) I'm waterlogged
8) I'm soaked thru and thru
9) I'm drowned
10) **see # 1.....I'm wet !!

· Registered
173 Posts
Probably had my most memorable hunting trip of the year. I’ve had bigger numbers, but definitely not better shooting days. I was trying to take the old guy out today that taught me how to run beagles more than 20 years ago. Had everything packed up ready to go. He called me around 7:30 saying he forgot he had a doctors appointment in the afternoon. Told him we’ll go tomorrow morning.

With everything ready to go. The dog had heard his bell and seen the gun come out of cabinet. Decided to take him for no more than 2 hours, maybe a 10 minute drive from the house. Threw the collar on GPS collar on him, and he was gone like a rocket and barking his head off in no time. Get in position, can hear the rabbit coming my way ahead of the dog. Next thing I know a rabbit crosses 10 yards in behind me. Let a shot loose out of 20 Ga Wingmaster. But the dog and the rabbit he was on never crossed the road, just stayed 12-15ft off the road. I chase after them to get a better spot. They do a bunch of really tight circles in this junk, but never come out near me. They cross 150 yards above me. I set up where they crossed back into the initial junk, and I hear the dog coming back my way fast. Catch a flicker in the trees, get the gun ready. And the rabbit comes flying across this bike trail and I nail it. 1 down, threw the rabbit in a tree and take him to where the stray crossed me in the first just. He had him going in no time flat. They come flying out across the road, but I let them go as my truck was in the shooting lane. 30 seconds later the bunny comes across again. And I winged it, but I heard the squeals a short time later, signalling I got him. And the dog carried it out to me dropped it at my feet. And took off back into the woods. I was just hanging that one in a tree, when I heard him barking his head off again. Got ready, Rosco brought the rabbit around to the road. 1 shot and another rabbit. What a roll 3 rabbits in shots, and I wasn’t even 20 minutes in. Sat there on a stump off the road with the sun shining bright with a big shit eating grin, thinking doesn’t get better than this.
A few moments later, he gets another going 250 yards away. I slowly walk my way there, he chases it solid, like never shutting up barking for 20 minutes straight. Could never get a glimpse of it or always out of position. Then I dove into the middle of the woods and kept right still in an opening. Next thing the rabbit and dog are heading right towards me. Got the gun ready, rabbit crossed the grew in skitter trail, shot fired and bunny down. Few moments later he had another going, brought it back around to the same skitter trail I got the last one on about 10 minutes later, quick flash of white and a shot later. Had number 5 bunny down. Packed up the bunnies hanging in trees, leashed the dog and headed home. In the woods at 9:15 and back home 11:20. Nothing better a dog and decent shooting

61 - 80 of 96 Posts