Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
For Moose hunting I have travelled 2.5 hours from home to moose camp the evening before the hunt. For deer I would travel 1 hour early in the morning of the hunt. Later in the season when the mornings were -15 or -20 C I would try to arrive at some of my favourite spots that got the morning sunshine around 11 a.m. .The deer liked to come out in the warmth of the morning sun and feed.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Sometimes I go places for small game & big game that are about 2.5 hrs away (one way).
It really sucks only getting 2 Sundays per year to hunt - those longer trips, a fella could spend the night and get 2 days out of it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
1.5 hours to camp, sometimes I don't have the ability to make it up the night before so an early Saturday morning drive is a must. Probably about the same amount of time to get into my other area once you drive the 8-10kms of logging roads. Gas bills are HIGH during hunting season lol

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2 hrs, it's a long day!! unloading gear, also another 1/2 hr or so to get into the hunting spot. Then gotta drive back. There is a reason I sometimes will take a mid day nap in the woods.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Usually an hour one way but we have done cb hunts for bunny as well as runs to aylesford.
Deer is 90min to Oxford then a 5min walk.
Id love to be able to hunt around my house again but the rottie is roaming again and my wife says no, that should be "NO!"

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My Woodlot is only 20 min away and I hunt another place that is 15 min away in the opposite direction. I used to try to be in the woods before daylight ... but I don't do that anymore. All I was doing was bumping deer. I like to head in when I can see well enough to shoot.... but before the sun comes up.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It takes me a 1 & 20 mins to my land , saying that last 30 mins are actually about 10-15 mins @ regular speeds but dirt roads and then some draws out time wise .

From the cottage it's 15 minute walk in

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got less than an hour drive (50-55 min) up the camp from my house. And from the camp, most of the stands are within a 5-15 minute drive. I might drive 30 seconds to launch the boat for duck hunting, and rabbits 1-2 hours away for most the big trips when I don’t hunt near the house mid week

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sharing, I sometimes think I drive far to hunt, usually 150 kms west or 80-100 kms east or 100kms south, seems to be the norm for most Most of you time wise/ km wise I guess. The positive is I always see game so I don’t mind lol.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Distance was never an issue for us when I hunted. Camp was over an hour one way for deer and many times we would jump in the truck and three of us head to pei for just a saturday goose hunt
3 guys driving it seemed close
Then again totally different today with the price of gas so could not afford to do that today

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Lol- depends on where I plan to hunt. Anywhere from 30 minutes to 3hours.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
50-55 mins from my driveway in Dartmouth to the Camp driveway. 40- 45 mins if I'm in a hurry to get there to get in an evening hunt.....lol. >Pete

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
50-55 mins from my driveway in Dartmouth to the Camp driveway. 40- 45 mins if I'm in a hurry to get there to get in an evening hunt.....lol. >Pete
Lol- not sure where your driveway is but I’m one minute from the highway at Kearney lake Rd. Takes me 55 mins to my spot up there and that’s at 120kms/hr to exit X ( you know) then 100k/h rest of the way! My son did it in 52 minutes total from Fairview to parking spot then 15 min walk in to meet me ( included) after I called him to come help drag out a big big buck !!! 228 field dressed. Crazy son of a ........ - yes she is! My ex that is not my current.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good to hear from you. Hope you are all settled in the new place
take care
Going through withdrawal symptoms at the new place LOL. I have to withdraw from all the junk that I have accumulated over the last 50 years. Still trying to fit everything moved from a 3000 foot 2 level home into a 2000 foot one level home. I now know for sure that I am a certified hoarder.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Going through withdrawal symptoms at the new place LOL. I have to withdraw from all the junk that I have accumulated over the last 50 years. Still trying to fit everything moved from a 3000 foot 2 level home into a 2000 foot one level home. I now know for sure that I am a certified hoarder.
Yep it is hard for sure. We cut our place in half when we moved in 95 and believe this or not last winter I was in the basement opening boxes sitting on shelves since 95 unreal
I am like you a huge hoarder Yesterday when to caulk the new greenhouse and said Ok I have a case of silicone in the basement I bought on sale so off I go
Yep 12 tubes hard as a rock in the front and no good and broke my caulking gun trying to force so what did I save NOTHING Like 12 bucks now and 4.99 on these tubes :(
Then I seen a date on one best before 2017 :( and I figured in a heated basement they would be good forever
Take care

·
GREYBEARD
3,313 Posts
I downsized six years ago from 2400 to 1100 sq ft I found out a few things about myself in the process.:)
I have said to 3macs1 previously I prefer collector to hoarder but you end up with the same results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts