Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone else has seen an increase in the number of humming birds this year. Although we have not seen as many other types of small birds around, we seem to be having more humming birds around our house. We usually have quite a few, but there seems to be more this year. Two years ago my wife kept track of the amount of the sugar and water that she made to keep all her feeders going and she made 881 cups of syrup that year. That was just over 50 gallons that year and although she never kept track this year she believes she is ahead of the last 2 years so far. I used my trail camera this morning and made a video of a feeder on our deck.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Wow that is incredible to see that many in one location as they are a fairly territorial . and will try and defend their area .

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Wicked video Duncan !! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Beautiful. I have only ever seen anything like that once in my life
My old goose hunting bud owns/ restored the old salmon lodge on yankee line and he hangs six feeders out and there are more hummingbirds than I can count
Our member called Deerman knows him well also and may have seen the set up
One would think I would have a ton here with at max over 30,000 flowers at times but not so
I put two feeders out the long weekend in may and I may get six max at one time over the summer
I have had four coming regular this year for weeks now
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Seen the news report tonight of the birds at your feeder , via your trail cam footage , very nice capture on cam , we have got several here along with several song birds who are here every day , one in particular sings same notes all thru the day in same tree right thru late evening .

We also have several barn swallows who made a nest in one our bird houses that are here all day long , flying back and forth to the house .

Only got one feeder thats filled about once a week , most ive seen is 3 at once here .

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Yep seen it on the news also and said hey that is daddy duncan's place and the mrs said WTF are you talking about you old fool :D:D

·
GREYBEARD
2,925 Posts
That is a crazy amount of Hummingbirds.
We have the usual amount here, one at a time a few times a day.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
WOW is right - never seen that many. Great vid.

havent put up a hummer feeder in a cpl years now. Must have enough flowers around cause still get the same as usual - basically, one family. The youngsters figure they own some places, in the yard, as they'll squawk and sometimes buzz you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in Bedford and have only seen a single hummingbird twice since I put the feeder up in early May. We may be just not looking at the right time I guess but last year we definitely saw them more often. Nice to see there are lots around somewhere though.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Wow humming bird city there! We have four regulars here and I really don’t mind them' it’s the GD song birds that pissme off. They start singing an hour before daylight every day.

·
GREYBEARD
2,925 Posts
Don't let them get to you 3D, there just telling you to get up and get moving.;)
Same thing here as well and sometimes I here them through the night as well (I am a light sleeper)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Very nice video! I have hear from a relative in the last week that they are still seeing hummingbirds in the Sherbrooke area.

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
No idea if true but my bud says the males leave first and then about 2 weeks later the females leave. I have not seen a male in well over a month

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
I saw one last week ...around suppertime, while I was at the BBQ. They buzz my SIL gardens all the time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Males left about 2 weeks ago and only 5-6 left around the feeders. Males come about 1st May and leave around 1 Sept

·
GREYBEARD
2,925 Posts
I have only seen one last week sitting on the clothes line surveying the flowers and then it left.
I have not seen one since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts