Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any input to this issue: My Best friend who I've slowly introduced to hunting over the past couple of years has finally caught the bug. He took his firearms course in 2019 and received his PAL. Now here's where the issue starts. Because of his busy University schedule, he opted to take his hunters safety online via HuntersCourse.com (Same way I took mine many years ago). He started the course in the fall of 2019, but only got about halfway through before life got in the way. At the time, the course was setup the same way I took mine, complete the online course, pass all the quizzes and then book a final written exam with your local DNR office. However, since covid, that was updated so that you could complete the final exam online as well, and not have to book an exam with DNR. But due to the fact that my friend created his account and started the course before this was changed, he did not have the option to finish the course by doing the online exam when he logged back in this summer to finish it. Tech support has not been able to update his account to allow him access to the final exam, so he is now on a "wait list" with DNR to be able to go in and write the final exam.

So, since hunting season has already started, and the grouse season is fast approaching, I'm wondering if it would be possible for one of the private instructors to administer the final exam to him as long as he has proof of his online course completion? I'd really like to get him in the woods this year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
been a long while since Ive done any "specials" for Hunter Ed, WM - dont even know if its possible anymore with the latest way things are set up..

has your bud contacted Reg Madden - the Lands Forestry Hunter Ed Coordinator? If it was me, I'd be talking to Reg about the situation.

1-866-639-3949 prompt#7
[email protected]

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been a long while since Ive done any "specials" for Hunter Ed, WM - dont even know if its possible anymore with the latest way things are set up..

has your bud contacted Reg Madden - the Lands Forestry Hunter Ed Coordinator? If it was me, I'd be talking to Reg about the situation.

1-866-639-3949 prompt#7
[email protected]
Thanks Gary! It's certainly an interesting situation. I'll pass along Reg's contact in the meantime.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Gary is right with contacting Reg. However this is the busiest time of the year for any of the courses and with the New Government there is a shake up happening. After waiting too long the chances are after all this is settled out the season could well be over.
We had 2 young people last year that did not complete their paper work in a timely manner and it took 6 months to finally get it sorted out. All this works out one fact remains when it comes to Government be prompt do not wait as for your friend I wish him well.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
any update Spence ??? Enquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No update as of yet, My bud had previously contacted Reg but was told by someone that he was "away for an undisclosed amount of time" and that is why he was put on a wait list until Reg returns. I'll push him to call again this week and hope he gets an update. Stay tuned...

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
okies

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked to my Buddy - He's booked in to write his exam Oct 20th. Just in time for rifle season, and I'll even be able to squeeze him in for some grouse hunting for a few weeks after that. (Assuming he passes LOL)

Reactions: Pete

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
That's GREAT ! Glad he got it straightened out. Best of luck to both of you this season !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts