Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Depends on which season and how you hunt for a particular game. Mid season ruffed grouse is alot of walking in moderate weather, mid season regular season deer could be hours of sitting over a food source or a ealk and stalk. Mid season bunny could go from 12 to -20 with wet conditions, or a nice stroll through the woods on a warm sunny day.
The guys i hunt with laugh at me with my kamik boots but with a change of liners and type of sock I'm good to go year round.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I spent a lot of time last season looking for boots. Here's what I've come to the conclusion on:

1. Socks are your first line of defense. A good pair of merino wool socks will keep your feet warm on the cold days, and dry and breathable on those warm September/October days.
2. I much prefer a hiking style boot for early season hunting where the weather is not very cold, most days in October I just wear my Blundstone boots while Grouse hunting, and they work great.
3. For Deer season into Rabbit season, I wear an insulated rubber boot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an insulated pair of lace-ups, but I tend to walk through too many water holes that would be too deep for a 6" or 8" boot. My criteria for a good rubber boot is lightweight, flexible (you'll hate your life trying to hunt in a stiff pair of boots), and warm. I think 800g is fine for NS hunting seasons, if you sit all day then it wouldn't hurt to go up to a higher insulation value.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback!

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
I use 800 grams lace up leather boots for the entire season, I agree with woodsmaster that good wool socks are your first line of defense for warmth and comfort.
I noticed your from the U.S so this info may differ with your location.

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I like rubber boots for hunting uninsulated for warmer weather and insulated for colder . I like woodsmaster always manage to end up somewhere wet .

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
I like rubber boots for hunting uninsulated for warmer weather and insulated for colder . I like woodsmaster always manage to end up somewhere wet .
hard on the phones too...ain't it buddy...lmao

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
hard on the phones too...ain't it buddy...lmao
Yup lesson learned there phone lives inside waders and not your in blind bag . or one should at least check their floating blind bag to ensure all the seams are water tight :p .

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wear waterproof hiking boots until it starts to get pretty cold, or really wet. Nice and light and great for lots of walking. Then I switch to higher waterproof insulated lace up boots (2000 gram insulation I think) or the Muck FieldBlazers that I bought last year. Like many on here, I always seemed to find water when hunting. Wet feet are no fun so I decided to try the rubber boots last year and really like them for late fall. Not nearly as easy to walk any distance in but comfortable and surprisingly warm with insoles and good socks.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Mine says they are made by Red Wing on the label. Not sure if they were made in China or not. Regardless.... the best boot I have ever had. More comfortable than my every day footwear.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Mine says they are made by Red Wing on the label. Not sure if they were made in China or not. Regardless.... the best boot I have ever had. More comfortable than my every day footwear.
If made to their specs which they are it should not matter as you are seeing. It is just me with an old yank dad to keep trying to buy usa made only which he drive into my head which is getting just about impossible today. I have danner elk hunters also I love and believe it or not a pair of rocky bear claw that are great. Some of the old cabelas I have work good also and a few pair of sorel pack and rubber boots
I am like a woman with hunting and boots in general and have many many pair LOL
I find buy the best you can afford and treat them with snow seal every year and they will last a life time
not my words

Only the Heritage line is made in the United States. Their work boot lines and other brands they make (Irish Setter Boots, Vasque, and Worx) are made outside the USA in Asia, primarily China, Korea, and Vietnam.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Unfortunately 85-90% or better again is China , Tiawan, Indonesia or India or some other non confirmatory to Cabon Climate , hence why our North American Companies have manufacturing plants there to begin with .
Not to derail the O.P here, just recd. Set of chest waders in 1400 Gram 6mm Neoprene , Boot actually has cleat style sole for digging in the mud and sand , big pocket on the front for storing extra gloves as well as big deep pocket to keep hands inside right over your jacket itself to keep out draft between gloves and jacket cuff , removable 12 round ammo pouch plus smaller attached velcro enclosure you can put another 12-15 rounds inside . These will be big step up from my already warm 1000 gram Chest waders . Bought a second set of 800 for early season Fishing or fall Hunting as found the 1000 gram either too warm early fall or just a tad under on those cold NE days blowing 40-70 lmao . Taking advantage to get a set of 800 or 1000 gram 17 inch boots for the field as well b4 prices go up again .
WAYYYYY better than CT or Wal-mart in , look simular but not , can clearly feel difference in quality for being made in Indonesia , already did tank test to chect for seam leaks that claim tripple stiched and heat sealed . With 30 day exchange on sizes and one yr warranty on failure , I'll roll the dice.

My son bought pair last yr and so did my daughter and neither gave issues in the field For Waterfowl or this yrs fishing season .

None the less nothing made today will hold up like it did 10-20-30 yrs prior , its all about maximizing profits at lowest out put possible

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have a pair of Irish setter boots that I will not wear if there is the slightest chance of encountering ice . I have never had a slipperyer pair of boots on my feet . Great boot for bare ground with damp conditions . Light comfortable appear to be well built made in China.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts