Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Didnot want to hyjack Pete's trend so will start a new one

63 years is quite an achievement IMO Pete Congrats

So what do others here have for camps ???

The family one we had lasted three generations almost 100 years but it was nothing as nice as Pete's and more like the size of the green place in Pete's first pic in the later years and got burned to the ground after 2005 when I stopped hunting there due to illness and my brother heading back to live in the US

Sadly the land at the end 60 hectars was owned by three sisters, one my grandmother and when she and another died the remaining one gave it to her son and our camp was done
sad.png
for good

Today it is mainly just a big clear cut
sad.png
from him raping the land and he hates hunting, in fact he may even have sold the land in the last 3 years. I don't follow it any more upsets me too much

Lesson learned family will screw you so make sure the will is done properly by a lawyer and accurate
sad.png

Cheers

The last camp building we had was the 1967 Chappels Building Supplies float building

My dad worked there for 8 years prior to going in the coal mines and here is one. I married John Chappels niece
smile.png
19 years later. She says we met at age 10 at that camp during the summer. I don't remember that
biggrin.png
. All I remember was after we started to date I could hunt almost anywhere I liked on the Morley road since her family owned most of it in those years
biggrin.png

uSUNvAq.jpg

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
That's gotta be Kim in the red hood and you standing behind her
laugh.png
laugh.png

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wondering are hunting camps a thing of the past here. Just came back from my morning rant and like the boys there were saying only one still has an official camp now they knew of in our circle and none of them go over night anywhere any more to hunt deer

One guy was saying he sold his in irishvale about 6 years ago to an american who wanted a summer home

Never planned to but said the offer was off the charts and he had to take it . Made enough that he said he went from potentially an almost starving retirement to living comfortably

I have another bud with one in framboise ( that is it ) but that is nicer than my home on the outside 1 1/2 story style all less than 10 years old now with indoor bathroom full running water, power and even a heat pump
wacko.png
Not sure how old the original camp building was he tore down but guessing 60's

Inside is cool also with many vintage pics like Pete shared under the glass moose table he made from one of my old ontario moose racks and his deer antlers

Cheers

lna9atL.jpg

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

I have built three in my life time. One at the foot of the highlands in the early 90"s. Was going to go the route of opening hunting cabins but ACOA got in trouble, the deer disappeared and Americans stopped coming. No one like travelling 5 1/2 hours to watch me work. I ended up selling it and the land to an American. Cabin two was built in the Valley. Spent two years toiling to complete it, a week after it was done some nice group of gentlemen burned it to the ground with two others. RCMP did little, nor DNR. These folks were well known through out the province as they had done the same in three different areas. Run folks out so they could poach and grow crops. The RCMP knew them. Since that day they have moved to two other locations in the province and are still at it. Guess I was mad or just really stubborn, I then moved and bought another piece of land and started to build a bigger, better camp, cottage. Today I can't think of how many hours in the hot sun by myself it took to complete it. Looking back I guess things happen for a reason. If my cabin had not burned, then I would still be there dealing with the idiots. Sure learned a few things about doing your homework when buying land. I met some of the best people in the new area. No BS going on. Everyone keeps a neighbor hood watch.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is one beautiful cabin thunderstick. You are a talented dude my friend even if you like levers

Super Nice job for an old cripple
tongue.png

You must have taken a few huge bucks in that first CB cabin I bet also

Cheers

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
That is one beautiful cabin thunderstick. You are a talented dude my friend even if you like levers

Super Nice job for an old cripple
tongue.png

You must have taken a few huge bucks in that first CB cabin I bet also

Cheers
Good memories especially the day my framing gun started acting up, shooting two nails at once or all by itself. I took it back to get a new one. It had to be ordered so I went back to framing. Walking across the upper floor it went off and shot a three inch nail, the nice ones with the glue through my finger. No one around I had to hold the hand down and pull it out. Boy that smarted for a few years after that. I think one could shoot a deer with those things. Use a nail gun or whack your thumb with a hammer. When that bad hurricane came through the province I had the top floor on and open. That was a nervous night.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good memories especially the day my framing gun started acting up, shooting two nails at once or all by itself. I took it back to get a new one. It had to be ordered so I went back to framing. Walking across the upper floor it went off and shot a three inch nail, the nice ones with the glue through my finger. No one around I had to hold the hand down and pull it out. Boy that smarted for a few years after that. I think one could shoot a deer with those things. Use a nail gun or whack your thumb with a hammer. When that bad hurricane came through the province I had the top floor on and open. That was a nervous night.
Funny you mention that. I used one once for a few hours shingling the garage roof in 2002.

Like you started acting up and next thing I knew yep a nail in the knee cap

F'k that hurt. Walked around with it for about 1/2 hour before I got the balls to take the vice grips and pull it out

Finished the roof with my hammer and have not used one since

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
talk about accident prone
tongue.png
tongue.png

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Wow Thunderstick, nice camp ! >Pete