Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Newest updates are in ..not lookin good for Eastern NS and the poor ol Cape boyz !
Could be the lowest millibar drop in CDN history ! Comin in at least as a CAT 2 storm...saw on the tele we have record sea temperatures too !
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best peeps !! All we can do !
Lookin at the potential rainfall levels associated with this storm...Jumpin
Jeezus they've still not recovered from the flood damage from last fall around the island...whatever work was done will most likely be erased again !!
My heart goes out to the folks who are dreading the same thing happening to them again this next go round.
For me rain I can handle wind is my fear
Cheers

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Checked the skies here this morning , not good sign on that , there was a deep reddish / purple hue in between the layers of greys , air is humid , still and heavy feel soon as I walked out . We both have PTSD from the 2016 storm that wrecked many homes down this way .

Going be watching something We deeply opposed about the Baille Ard Trail system that got partly demolished to put in Berms to redirect storm waters to mitigate flooding here . If intense flooding does occur and those Berms do not hold up , it will only solidify what the CBRM was told not to do and did it anyway( only 3 members of Council opposed this , The Mayor , and two Councillors who live directly in the Flood Zone of Sydney , every other councillor living on out skirts voted in favor of demo part of the trail ) , over 3 million dollars spent on this project . That money would been better spent in down town area where the water gets bottle necked to run out into the harbour.

Instead they partly demolished a Boreal Forest with wildlife frequent the area and endangered plants to boot , where monies from our hunting and fishing licences habitat fund helped to fix and bring back fish into those brooks , I personally worked yrs prior on those projects rebuilding those brooks and am member of the trail group.
Now threats of flooding and yrs of work building that area up could and very well be destroyed once again . 2016 did a lot of damage but got rebuilt fast with volunteers , those areas are now flattened with berms in place , not a tree standing for 30 yards in any direction , if that fails 2016 flooding will be a walk in the park compared to whats been forecasted .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Checked the skies here this morning , not good sign on that , there was a deep reddish / purple hue in between the layers of greys , air is humid , still and heavy feel soon as I walked out . We both have PTSD from the 2016 storm that wrecked many homes down this way .

Going be watching something We deeply opposed about the Baille Ard Trail system that got partly demolished to put in Berms to redirect storm waters to mitigate flooding here . If intense flooding does occur and those Berms do not hold up , it will only solidify what the CBRM was told not to do and did it anyway( only 3 members of Council opposed this , The Mayor , and two Councillors who live directly in the Flood Zone of Sydney , every other councillor living on out skirts voted in favor of demo part of the trail ) , over 3 million dollars spent on this project . That money would been better spent in down town area where the water gets bottle necked to run out into the harbour.

Instead they partly demolished a Boreal Forest with wildlife frequent the area and endangered plants to boot , where monies from our hunting and fishing licences habitat fund helped to fix and bring back fish into those brooks , I personally worked yrs prior on those projects rebuilding those brooks and am member of the trail group.
Now threats of flooding and yrs of work building that area up could and very well be destroyed once again . 2016 did a lot of damage but got rebuilt fast with volunteers , those areas are now flattened with berms in place , not a tree standing for 30 yards in any direction , if that fails 2016 flooding will be a walk in the park compared to whats been forecasted .
I've been seeing a lot of clearing along roads and such in HRM. Plus all the clear cutting around the province. I think this could be bad. I remember Juan well.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
New reports today that Fiona will be down graded to a tropical storm by the time it hits the Atlantic coast. Still lots of rain and wind … but better than a cat 2 hurricane. Still lots of time for it to change. Seems it changes every few hours.

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Anything over 100 kms a hour for winds scares the crap out of me with greenhouse fitted with plastic roofs
Any idea if the winds will be south since that is the best direction for me and my set up
Like walter I spent all day doing what ever I could think of to get ready
Cheers

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
All northerly then norwest for us...best case scenario here...but it's the opposite direction totally from what we're used to with storms coming up along the coast.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anything over 100 kms a hour for winds scares the crap out of me with greenhouse fitted with plastic roofs
Any idea if the winds will be south since that is the best direction for me and my set up
Like walter I spent all day doing what ever I could think of to get ready
Cheers
If you go on zoom.earth , you can activate the wind map and see which way the winds are.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We brought lawn furniture in and secured other stuff ahead of the storm. I picked any tomatoes that are starting to ripen so they won't get blown off the vine and tied up the plants a bit more. Got the propane tank filled yesterday.
Other than that, its wait and see now. Nothing else you can do really. Hopefully the storm will lose strength before it makes landfall so there isn't too much damage.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Check out www.windy.com it's a great site!.. this is the site we use for wind trends, long range projections , plus all the surfers use it for the wind / wave hotspots !!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
New reports today that Fiona will be down graded to a tropical storm by the time it hits the Atlantic coast. Still lots of rain and wind … but better than a cat 2 hurricane. Still lots of time for it to change. Seems it changes every few hours.
...changing its structure will change its name to post tropical, but it's still gonna be a cat 2 on land fall impact !

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Light gusts of wind started late pm today in Windsor. Overcast and gloomy. … By far the worst storm I have lived through was the Storm of Oct. 74 while living in the north end of Sydney. Just unbelievable!
Lived on Park Street in Southend , can remember a big double trunk tree coming down on the old garage out back of where we lived , Being that area of Sydney it sure caused plenty of damage from debris everywhere .

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Light gusts of wind started late pm today in Windsor. Overcast and gloomy. … By far the worst storm I have lived through was the Storm of Oct. 74 while living in the north end of Sydney. Just unbelievable!
[/t
Wasn’t that some kind of freak storm. Not even a named hurricane just a crazy wind storm. Just temps went up then down or something. Cape got wind mainland got snow.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts