Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Tim's soooo far back in the woods, he has to come out to hunt !!
I did just that years ago but now theres encroachment, a new subdivision is going in.
Joe if you draw a line from halifax, Windsor, and truro, id be roughly where those lines meet in rawdon.
Im 65min to downtown Halifax, 60min from truro, and 45 from Windsor.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The biggest wind storm I remember, other than Juan, was on Feb 2, 1976. That had winds roughly equivalent to a Cat 2 hurricane. It blew in windows, tore roofs off buildings, blew down a lot of the communal barns out on the marshes all along the Bay of Fundy etcetera. Hell of a day.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Lived on Park Street in Southend , can remember a big double trunk tree coming down on the old garage out back of where we lived , Being that area of Sydney it sure caused plenty of damage from debris everywhere .
Wasn’t that some kind of freak storm. Not even a named hurricane just a crazy wind storm. Just temps went up then down or something. Cape got wind mainland got snow.
Remember some of it
Just kids helping my friend's father doing his final furniture deliveries for Kmart in a big cube truck and it tossed us off the road on our side in a field
Remember going over looking at that mobile home park in Lingan or what was left of one :(
We had a shed in the yard that just vanished never to return or know where it went
Yes is was a Freak storm! I was eleven days shy of my eighteenth birthday so was driving the old family truck. Spent three days cutting trees up with an old Pioneer chainsaw just freeing my neighbours from their drive ways. The north end of George street had some beautiful old trees both along the street and up along the edge of Victoria park that came down on the street. I remember live wires on the ground on Pleasant street along with the trees that blocked many streets in the north end. That storm caused a lot of damage in Sydney and in many others parts of the Island.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Check out www.windy.com it's a great site!.. this is the site we use for wind trends, long range projections , plus all the surfers use it for the wind / wave hotspots !!
Also a fan of windy, unfortunately the long range projection is showing another big storm making it's way up towards us next week....Hopefully it breaks up before hitting us!

Stay safe this weekend everyone!

This is a screen grab of Friday next week :rolleyes:

Ecoregion Water Art paint Azure Liquid

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just Spent the day taking pictures of everything for Insurance just in case , to say I'm worried is understatement . Rains are picking up here on the Cape , some of the roads have already begin to flood in some areas of the normal places .

Be cranking up the coleman stove and generator in the morning with no sleep , keeping a watch as well on weather and traffic cameras .

Fiona is still a Cat 3 and picking up speeds and growing with the low pressure system , this is going be a he\\ish night and following day for everyone in its track .

spoke with my daughter in Halifax and told her be ready to get to shelter if needed and stay put as best as she can . My other Daughter in Summerside was told by the Academy there is no weekend passes and they will fed meals over the weekend at the Academy .

stay put and stay safe everyone

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Just Spent the day taking pictures of everything for Insurance just in case , to say I'm worried is understatement . Rains are picking up here on the Cape , some of the roads have already begin to flood in some areas of the normal places .

Be cranking up the coleman stove and generator in the morning with no sleep , keeping a watch as well on weather and traffic cameras .

Fiona is still a Cat 3 and picking up speeds and growing with the low pressure system , this is going be a he\\ish night and following day for everyone in its track .

spoke with my daughter in Halifax and told her be ready to get to shelter if needed and stay put as best as she can . My other Daughter in Summerside was told by the Academy there is no weekend passes and they will fed meals over the weekend at the Academy .

stay put and stay safe everyone
I'm right with you Walter. Won't be getting much sleep either my girls are just going on like nothing is happening :(
Great idea on the pics thanks going to get that done asap
ALL THE BEST
Joe
he just said on the news it shifted some since the last update to the east and now sydney is right in the center but also said that is a good thing and could reduce the winds some by maybe 20-30 kms . Sure hope so since 150/160 gusts is nuts

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Powers out as of 11:15 here in the Bay....earliest restoration according to nsp...11:30 tomorrow night

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The last hour here in Truro has really been getting hairy. Wind is shaking everything. Can hear trees coming down all around town. Power is out most places and yet you can still see the sky flashing blue from arcs like a lightning show. 2 big limbs down on my driveway which I was smart enough to keep vehicle out of. They missed the garage by a couple feet.

wind blowing so hard from North it was pushing rain right under my old wood windows so 1230 out I went to brave the elements and screw the storm window on. It comes off for summers so we can use the AC in bedroom.Gonna have some plaster patching to do under the window after that. Wife thought for sure id blow off the roof, just a littLe porch roof to access this window. We teamed up and got it done I climbed the ladder onto roof, she shoved the storm window out to me through the opening so I didn’t have to carry it up the ladder.

not much sleep going on for me, listening to this wind trying to tear the street apart.

we will see what the morning brings us.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Power is still on in Bridgewater east side, not sure how Buckmark is making out on the west side.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
We never lost our power. Strongest winds seemed to be between 1 and 2:30 am. After that, it didn't seem so bad. Lots of outages and damage around us, but we were basically unscathed. Hope everyone is safe and damage was minimal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Power off here at 12:30 am or so, for about 10 minutes. Couple of small birch branches down but nothing besides that on this end. Hopefully, everyone else fared as well. Be interesting to hear how bad it was in the Cape. Looked like it was gonna blow away and join Newfoundland.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts