Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I spent the day in the blind with my crossbow, late in the afternoon it started raining so I decided to leave a little early. I got back to the vehicle took out my hunting bolt and put in the discharge bolt and fired into a sandy bank. As soon as the bolt hit I knew it broke, proceeded to go over and pick up the pieces and was about to turn around when I felt something strike the heel of my boot. To my amazement when I looked down it was a leg hold coyote trap. Of all the ground around me I was able to find a 5 inch piece of ground that had a trap buried under it, I bought a lotto ticket last night but I didn't win. My apologizes to the owner of the trap, I placed it in the bushed next to the drag just in case prying eyes came across it.

Northwind

·
Registered
742 Posts
I used to have a concern about getting into a conibear trap, and watched some videos about how to open them up with a boot string or similar. But I've never encountered one. I think usually they are placed in something like a bucket on its side where no one would be walking.

I've noticed some spots marked off with a set of strings between trees and trail marking tape on each. I've assumed there is likely a trap inside the zone.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
At least you owned up to what took place and put it where it could be found by the trapper , I'm sure he be happy it was not stolen and if they see or hear of this thread knows it was a "accidental catch " lol .

I'll pass word around in the trapping groups

Take care out there and good luck

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I used to have a concern about getting into a conibear trap, and watched some videos about how to open them up with a boot string or similar. But I've never encountered one. I think usually they are placed in something like a bucket on its side where no one would be walking.

I've noticed some spots marked off with a set of strings between trees and trail marking tape on each. I've assumed there is likely a trap inside the zone.
All conibear traps set larger then 6" (160 model ).that you think might get caught in SHOULD be set inside a dog proof enclosure. or 60" above the ground. Smaller one 110-120 size not going to hurt a foot in a boot.

Although they can break a few finger if your hand was to be inside of one.

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,568 Posts
Non-Crossbow hunter here with dumb question.

Do you have to fire them to uncock them? I thought it would be similar to cocking (in reverse of course)...?
Or is it just a faster option?

Thanks and glad you were able to escape! ha ha

R

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Non-Crossbow hunter here with dumb question.

Do you have to fire them to uncock them? I thought it would be similar to cocking (in reverse of course)...?
Or is it just a faster option?

Thanks and glad you were able to escape! ha ha

R
I have a Matrix xbow - here is a demo vid on de-cocking the Matrix. btw bought the xbow 4 years ago and haven't used it yet (tags still on) -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts