1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Could be the huff noise a bear makes as well. >Pete

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have had a fair number of deer, pretty much all bucks, snort/wheese at me over the years. But if I'm hearing the video clearly, I've never heard one make quite the sound I'm hearing here. That makes me think maybe it could be a bear, which I have never heard I admit. At the same time though, the nice clear grunt I heard on the video definitely sounded like a buck grunt to me.
I'm not much help here so will be interested to hear what the others think.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I listened to it a few times, and my initial reaction isn’t deer. Sounds more like a bear, deer is normally a snort wheeze or a distinct multiple blows if they wind you
That's been my experience exactly. Usually one snort/wheeze if they know you're a human and off they go. But, a couple times over the years I've felt like the buck only heard me and was then challenging what he thought was another buck because the loud snorting and blowing went on for 5 or 10 minutes. Both times would have been during the rut. Didn't get a look at either animal unfortunately.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
So who can tell the difference between a buck and a doe grunt????? Someone asked Bill Jordan that question on his show when realtree outdoors first came on TV, his answer was NO.
Big bucks will sneak away quietly if they can and won’t snort, a doe on the other hand will often remain in one place, stomp her hoof and begin to snort, sometimes a dozen or more times. Does are more apt to snort then a buck simply because most does have a fawn or two nearby or maybe another doe, bucks are more solitary. Remember that snort is a warning to other deer in the area. Snort grunt wheeze is different and not likely gonna hear it this early in the yr, but not likely a mature buck would mistake a human for a rival buck!!!
The only way I know that you can tell the difference between a buck grunt and a doe grunt is to actually see the deer that grunted, or you could ask another deer. I’ve heard deer grunt many times and it sounds exactly like your grunt call, buck or doe. Snort the same buck or doe, the only difference would be how “deep” sounding it is and to distinguish you would have to have another to compare it too.
What I heard in that video did not sound like a deer. But I was wrong at least once ,I think.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have another video from another place with a bunch of does where the senior one knows I'm around, but not where. She stomps and snorts for a while before leading the girls away.
The snorts at the start and end sounded to my ears exactly like other deer I have heard snort. Its the sound in the middle that sounds exactly like my buck grunt call. First time I've heard it in the wild.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I have another video from another place with a bunch of does where the senior one knows I'm around, but not where. She stomps and snorts for a while before leading the girls away.
The snorts at the start and end sounded to my ears exactly like other deer I have heard snort. Its the sound in the middle that sounds exactly like my buck grunt call. First time I've heard it in the wild.
The snort is a warning.
The grunt is communicating with other deer. A doe will grunt and sounds the same as a buck, but could be a deeper sound depending on specific animal . I have had does come to my grunt call and when they could not find me they would grunt hoping for a response.
Some calls are adjustable and supposedly slightly different in the tone. It is pretty difficult for humans with good hearing to actually distinguish ( maybe if they had bionic ears) the difference between a buck grunt and doe grunt unless you were in a situation where first a doe and then a buck grunted and then only if it was a mature buck. Deer grunt calls are marketed as “ buck calls” because most hunters dream of big bucks with massive racks. Like I said Bill Jordan was asked if he could tell the difference between a buck and doe grunt , his response was a flat NO.
We are talking about the guy that started Real Tree outdoors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts