Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Lots of people are shooting/competing in rim fire PRS shooting across Canada.You can spend bigtime money on your setup....checkout Vudoo V-22 barreled actions...$2600.00...no trigger, no stock! I'm a member of NSRA, and it looks like we might be shooting some PRS matches with .22's. I know of a couple of guys that have thousands of dollars tied up in their .22 rifles! Just two weeks ago I was shooting with a fellow member, and he was shooting his CZ 457 at 300 meters. Like Kevin mentioned, it doesn't take much wind to blow around a 40 gr. bullet.Very challenging! I believe AMA on the Old Guysborough Rd.is also getting into this.Try it out sometime, you'll probably regret that "girly man" comment.
I would be scared of the recoil and more than likely flinch
biggrin.png

·
Registered
798 Posts
I shoot lots, just not small stuff, why would you think someone with a 22 shoots more than me?
Simple economics....if I shot as much centerfire as I do rimfire I'd need to be a millionaire. I still shoot thousands of centerfire rounds but rimfire is in the tens of thousands per year. Perhaps you're a millionaire and it doesn't matter but I doubt it since you're whining about .22's being more than a couple hundred dollars lol.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
^^^^^ He HAS to troll...he's a lever man..probably has a mares leg collection
happy.png
happy.png

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Simple economics....if I shot as much centerfire as I do rimfire I'd need to be a millionaire. I still shoot thousands of centerfire rounds but rimfire is in the tens of thousands per year. Perhaps you're a millionaire and it doesn't matter but I doubt it since you're whining about .22's being more than a couple hundred dollars lol.
People probably shoot a lot of 22's. I see thousands laying all over our range. Apparently such a quantity is hard to pic up
biggrin.png

·
Registered
581 Posts
I 'm guessing that cost might be a big factor in 22 shooting as well, when you can get decent 22 ammo for $50.00 for 500 rounds compares to $50.00 plus for only 20 rounds of center fire if your on a fixed income, that's my biggest thing, I know reload reload ,,tried that as well, don't tell me that isn't costly, 22 my choice,

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I 'm guessing that cost might be a big factor in 22 shooting as well, when you can get decent 22 ammo for $50.00 for 500 rounds compares to $50.00 plus for only 50 rounds of center fire if your on a fixed income, that's my biggest thing, I know reload reload ,,tried that as well, don't tell me that isn't costly, 22 my choice,
You have to change your name now to maybe 22 long, short, or mag.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
wiz-bang
tongue.png
tongue.png

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Guess I should have asked more....sold for full list in less than 3 hrs with multiple offers at list plus shipping.
Yep been watching guns I have sold on nutz going for double on that gun post now

If I decide to sell more they are going on for what I call crazy prices also especially since all I have left are vintage ones

Why not

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Wood and luster bluing from yesteryear are now commanding more $$$.

HOOLLEE..cripes, just look at all the entry level guns now compared to 3 or 4 years ago..bead blasted finish (if you want to call that a finish)..cheaper than cheap stocks that were terrible to begin with, are now FUGLIER than ever stocks and most are inflated 600 -700 bucks instead of 300 -400

·
Registered
798 Posts
No way I could get that add to view. So my post was insane prices, but if used 22's are going for that and up then are the rest of the guns over priced or normal?
Some are overpriced for sure with guys trying to get every dollar they can get but most of the ones I see listed are just inflated enough to account for the guys who will always offer $100 less than asking, no matter what the price. As Kevin stated the new stuff is cheaply made junk, that while they may be accurate because of modern machining techniques, certainly don't have the quality feel of older wood and blue rifles. People will still pay for quality.

The problem many of us older guys have is reconciling the fact that we used to get this stuff for $75-$150 dollars while the young guys pick up an older gun and feel the weight, see the nice blueing and compare it to what's available today and realize that to get that blue steel and nice wood stock they jump way up in price on a new gun. When they look at it and realize they need to step up to the $700 rifles to get that quality in a new gun suddenly the value of the older guns goes way up.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Some are overpriced for sure with guys trying to get every dollar they can get but most of the ones I see listed are just inflated enough to account for the guys who will always offer $100 less than asking, no matter what the price. As Kevin stated the new stuff is cheaply made junk, that while they may be accurate because of modern machining techniques, certainly don't have the quality feel of older wood and blue rifles. People will still pay for quality.

The problem many of us older guys have is reconciling the fact that we used to get this stuff for $75-$150 dollars while the young guys pick up an older gun and feel the weight, see the nice blueing and compare it to what's available today and realize that to get that blue steel and nice wood stock they jump way up in price on a new gun. When they look at it and realize they need to step up to the $700 rifles to get that quality in a new gun suddenly the value of the older guns goes way up.
Many of the old firearms being sold are in poor shape. I have no problem spending on something that is excellent. I see countless adds where old worn out junk is being sold saying 50% blueing loss, patina, safe marks, cracks, horrible finish jobs, rifling worn and the adds yet says very good condition. Many have discoloration from peoples attempts in covering stuff up with cold blue. It amazes me how some sell, must be a lot of people dissatisfied once they get it home. There is actually new stuff that is not junk, one just has to pay more for it compared to older days. I see a big loop marlin I paid $699 at Ellwood Epps a couple years ago now on GP for $1450 used, a used 45-70 octagon barrel Marlin that I paid $900 at Tillsonburg gun shop on GP for $1750, good god. Like some have said one can buy them new cheaper than GP.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
There is an ad on GP this morning for a Browning XBolt White gold medallion with a Vortex scope for $3200. Must be one hell of an expensive scope. You can still buy those rifles for under 1700. I have a Lefthand (no longer made) white gold medallion that is basically brand new (6 shots down the pipe) that I thought about selling. Might have to "up" my asking price.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
The old man used to say...there's 2 kinds of good...good for nuthin and no good at all
tongue.png
tongue.png

Vortex makes a "good" scope
ph34r.png
ph34r.png

41 - 60 of 90 Posts