Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Wondering when did the CBRM change their requirements for new building construction and allow milled lumber to be used ( non stamped ) when a building permit would be required since over 10x10

Just asking since I know a friend that did it two years ago on a 24x24 and they made it be torn down and he was 80% done at the time. :( I would hate to see that happen to your project if they have not revised the requirements
Cheers
Never mind Paul reconfirmed it for me there has not been a change
Cheers
Hi Joe,
The National Building Code of Canada requires all structural lumber to be grade stamped. This requirement applies to all construction in CBRM.

Paul Burt, QBO2
Manager Building Planning & Licensing Laws
Cape Breton Regional Municipality

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Never mind Paul reconfirmed it for me there has not been a change
Cheers
Hi Joe,
The National Building Code of Canada requires all structural lumber to be grade stamped. This requirement applies to all construction in CBRM.

Paul Burt, QBO2
Manager Building Planning & Licensing Laws
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
I built using band sawn lumber in Cape Breton, cost $50 for the lumber to be improved. One has to remember the building codes are different from area to area. I live in Kingston, my cabin is 5klms away in another county, one on one side of the line, one one the other, both have different rules.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Non stamped lumber is allowed under CBRM Building permit , checked , double checked and our new Councilor lives around the corner and is Carpenter by trade who varrified what can and cannot be done with non stamped lumber . Oh and its 8 x 12 and over 96 sq ft that requires building permit , anything over that requires now concrete slab or 4 ft deep sonotubes spaced every 4 ft , 8 inch round with rebar 3/4 thick for reinforcement .

my slab alone has 16 x 16 squares of 3/4 rebar with drive in area that has 24 ft long x 10 ft wide of 9 inch by 18 inch center with 3/4 rebar , steel costs more than slab itself .

When building inspector checked out site , he even suggested rough mill lumber for the project to keep costs low , said as long as it's not a building to housing purposes its perfectly fine ,( non living quarters )

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Non stamped lumber is allowed under CBRM Building permit , checked , double checked and our new Councilor lives around the corner and is Carpenter by trade who varrified what can and cannot be done with non stamped lumber . Oh and its 8 x 12 and over 96 sq ft that requires building permit , anything over that requires now concrete slab or 4 ft deep sonotubes spaced every 4 ft , 8 inch round with rebar 3/4 thick for reinforcement .

my slab alone has 16 x 16 squares of 3/4 rebar with drive in area that has 24 ft long x 10 ft wide of 9 inch by 18 inch center with 3/4 rebar , steel costs more than slab itself .

When building inspector checked out site , he even suggested rough mill lumber for the project to keep costs low , said as long as it's not a building to housing purposes its perfectly fine ,( non living quarters )
Good Luck Walter but asking the wrong people when checking . Paul Burt manages that Dept and he says NO so should know . I CALLED FOR MY cool bot freezer I am building this year and had to change my size to under 10x10 to be allowed or 100 sq feet max and no permit required
Like I said my friends was torn down for a 24x24 and just 2 years ago so why would yours be different
Call him and ask yourself I would to be safe
Cheers

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Spoke with Paul myself spoke with also the Building inspector who issues the permit and signed it , non stamped lumber is permitted Joe , till you actually make the phone calls , JUST MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND STOP TRY CAUSE CRAP FOR ONCE !

You simply will never change !

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Spoke with Paul myself spoke with also the Building inspector who issues the permit and signed it , non stamped lumber is permitted Joe , till you actually make the phone calls , JUST MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND STOP TRY CAUSE CRAP FOR ONCE !

You simply will never change !
Only sharing what I was told yesterday for my project and trying to prevent an undesirable situation for you. Has nothing to do trying to cause crap and you best watch your attacks now

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
awwww...cmonnn now Mr. Savage/Ruger...:giggle::giggle:

81 - 90 of 90 Posts