Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my accident things have not been settled. I lost my vehicle, the other party had nothing on there machine. My insurance finally called me yesterday after three months with they said was good news. My side by side cost $27,000. They offered me $24,000. If I chose to keep it then they would write me a cheque for $14,000. When I questioned this they told me vehicles had almost doubled making salvage fees higher because it worth more now going to salvage. Salvage fee's are now 30% rather than 20. I told the lady its funny the same logic has not been applied or increased my purchase price:)
As much as I would like closeure I declined.

· Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to say but I am shocked they even offered you that much
3maccs the problem I have is when they tell me that prices of used vehicles has doubled, and thats the reason the salvage fee is now 30%, wouldn't that make the vehicle be worth more also? 6 months after I bought it they jumped in price by $7000. Besides they drug this out this long and they didn't even want to pay towing or storage fees. I had added $6000 in accessories they are not covering also. Good deal for them. Its been in my garage since September. Maybe I should show them my storage bill :)

· Registered
17,701 Posts
3maccs the problem I have is when they tell me that prices of used vehicles has doubled, and thats the reason the salvage fee is now 30%, wouldn't that make the vehicle be worth more also? 6 months after I bought it they jumped in price by $7000. Besides they drug this out this long and they didn't even want to pay towing or storage fees. I had added $6000 in accessories they are not covering also. Good deal for them. Its been in my garage since September. Maybe I should show them my storage bill :)
Honestly IMHO the problem is all insurance companies are a bunch of crooks who want to pay nothing or as little as possible and will turn over every stone they can to give you nothing
Fight them with a lawyer as tony says and I hope you get what you want in the end but it may prove to be a long battle and yes storage frees may apply :)
all the best

· Registered
905 Posts
Honestly IMHO the problem is all insurance companies are a bunch of crooks who want to pay nothing or as little as possible and will turn over every stone they can to give you nothing
Fight them with a lawyer as tony says and I hope you get what you want in the end but it may prove to be a long battle and yes storage frees may apply :)
all the best
The only problem with using a lawyer other than for advice is the cost to you which adds up quickly and the insurer knows that.

Is there a provincial ombudsmen that deals with complaints or disputes with insurance companies?

· Registered
17,701 Posts
The only problem with using a lawyer other than for advice is the cost to you which adds up quickly and the insurer knows that.

Is there a provincial ombudsmen that deals with complaints or disputes with insurance companies?
true. know there is a federal process have no clue on a provincial one for stuff like this but it may exist

· Registered
851 Posts
If they were paying storage fees this would have been settled by now. The fees add up quick and the insurance company is losing money every day it sits at a tow company. I learned that lesson years ago. Last time I had my vehicle towed to my friends shop so he could charge storage and the settlement went PDQ.

· Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they were paying storage fees this would have been settled by now. The fees add up quick and the insurance company is losing money every day it sits at a tow company. I learned that lesson years ago. Last time I had my vehicle towed to my friends shop so he could charge storage and the settlement went PDQ.
I declined there offer but the numbers I replied with were more than fair. I mentioned how they did not want to pay towing and storage fees yet while this file is open I am providing storage to them (2months). I have talked t a few people and they tell me those adds you see where lawyers only cost you if you win can be almost 50%. of your settlement. No reply yet from the insurance. I know one thing, the 5 policies I have through the one broker will not be renewed. They were just as bad in all of this. I also heard it being this time of year that they work towards the holidays, thinking a low settlement would be attractive close to Xmas and all.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
I declined there offer but the numbers I replied with were more than fair. I mentioned how they did not want to pay towing and storage fees yet while this file is open I am providing storage to them (2months). I have talked t a few people and they tell me those adds you see where lawyers only cost you if you win can be almost 50%. of your settlement. No reply yet from the insurance. I know one thing, the 5 policies I have through the one broker will not be renewed. They were just as bad in all of this. I also heard it being this time of year that they work towards the holidays, thinking a low settlement would be attractive close to Xmas and all.
IMO opinion they are like different governments in the end they are all the same and sometimes the devil you know is way better than the devil you don't This year wife says the insurance bills are here and crazy and time to leave we have been with these fools for 35 years and you and that stupid loyalty you have because you know them or went to school with the owner well has to change
OK I said here is the details of what we have covered and how much it costs fill your boots but I want exactly the same or better coverage
About a month went by and I said sept 1st is just about here so what are we going with . We are staying WHY I said OMG she said you would not believe the inspections some wanted done and the costs for some of the options we have since we are new to them and not 35 year customers
None will cover the greenhouses, your old cars or flooding without paying a small fortune , only 15 on our oil tank vs 20 , only 5 grand on your guns and all more money overall etc etc
So guess what we stayed
Do your homework first before you pull out to make sure it is really best for you IMHO since how much is being pissed worth not much to me but to each their own
But I don't have a small fortune of levers to fall back on either for cash :p:p
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts