Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while out for a day of duck hunting with my daughter, we were looking around the duck blind , I've hunted this spot off and on for over 30 years so pretty aware of the surroundings . Had one bird come in straight on and level , took the shot and it wizzed past my shoulder into a small thicket of spruce only 3-4 ft high , my daughter went to find it as she seen it fall into the thicket . Pushing the spruce aside she says Dad there is a duck decoy in here , I said really , but where's our duck she said right next to it . Was a nice Black duck hen , but what she pulled out next was pretty neat , a old 1960s hard plastic decoy, on the bottom of the weighted keel says Victor Majestic Decoys with a pic of a duck inside a square, logo of it . The other side says " Animal Trap Company Of America " decoy also had a swivel head , string was wrapped around the head and the weight was a old rusted door stopper. Was easy to see it was there in the brush for sometime , imprint of it was in the ground and keep was split open along the keel.

Something to go up on my shelf as a momento of a great day hunting with my daughter teaching her about the outdoors . Now all I hear is when we going duck hunting again ! Lol , Everytime tho I see that decoy on my shelf I'll remember of the days of teaching the kids proper and ethical ways to hunt , fish and the excellent memories made , we've always made great memories in the past and had lots of fun but there's always somethings that stand out more .

·
Registered
14,202 Posts
Very cool. They were one of the first plastic decoys we seen up here replacing the wood

I think d-9 were solid head and d-10 were swivel. They were a very hard plastic and split real easy in the cold so handle it carefully

Cheers

·
Registered
14,202 Posts
You are right 3macs1. I have a D9 here.
Very nice. Looking back they were probably one of the ugliest decoys made if you compare them to what is out today

I have just one a d9 also that sits on a barrel LOL

I have also some earlier 50's paper duck ones here made by jc higgins with the glass eye and two paper goose decoys from sears roebuck

Like an idiot I hung about 6 of them on the front of the green house and put the geese in the yard about 3 summers ago for display and the dam mice ate holes in 3 or 4 of them. They did look good hanging by an old 16ga sxs however but should have been indoors

Cheers

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They make a nice conversation piece and yes quite a ugly decoy compared to today's decoys we use. I've got a few old wooden decoys from the 40s , this one will go up on the shelf next to them with a old wood hand carved call I found about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice memento for sure and something you can give to your daughter later on, she will remember that day for years after your in the old age home, lol

·
Registered
14,202 Posts
They make a nice conversation piece and yes quite a ugly decoy compared to today's decoys we use. I've got a few old wooden decoys from the 40s , this one will go up on the shelf next to them with a old wood hand carved call I found about 20 years ago.
Check your old wooden ones for signatures/ id stamps. If there some are worth some real serious money

Cheers

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Lol. Old age home , I'll be in a Wheel chair and saying to all my Kids get me to the gd duck blind. I'm in need of the cold salt air , a good NE wind and the smell of fresh gun powder with that sight of cupped wings and feet down with the blow of a duck call . As for that Decoy YES ! that will definitely be passed to her someday , hopefully any grandkids she has will be doing the same as I taught her . Hopefully they will hear the story of finding the decoy

3macs1
As for the wooden ones there's 2 with stamps but very hard to read, I collect decoys so never thought anything about their value , as I said they make for interesting conversation .

·
Registered
728 Posts
Pretty cool find. Just out of curiosity, were you hunting somewhere around Crooked Lake Rd or Pig Point Rd? I heard a bunch of shots while sitting in my tree and thought they were coming from somewhere in that area.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I was down Fuller's Bridge on the outer islands , so yes that would have been us there yesterday . There was couple guys as well that hunted lower bay off Pig Point . You must have heard the coyotes howling yesterday morning if you were up there , there was a few on Morrison Beach that we heard plus another group was howling on upper part of Pig Point Road just at sunrise .

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've taken 3 yotes off Morrison Beach this year already, coming right to the goose decoys back in , Sept . Few calls from the goose flute and they were coming in hard . Just goes to show how bold they are .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts