Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NWTF is sponsoring a JAKES event this April in Maine. This is called the First International Wild Turkey Youth Camp, where 5 father/son or mother/daughter or parent teams from NS and 3 to 4 teams from NB and 3 teams from Maine (kids aged 10-15) will enjoy classroom and field training on wild turkey hunting, habitat and turkey biology on April 26th. April 27th these kids will hunt wild turkeys (opening youth day season) with their parents and a guide for the first time ever. Kids can harvest 2 wild turkeys. April 28th will be LL Beans / Cabelas day and on April 29th opening general season the parent and kids will hunt together where they both can hunt wild turkeys together. NWTF members from NS and NB will travel to Maine and volunteer their time with Maine NWTF members. NWTF will be providing money to each team to attend this first time event. This will mean 22-24 first time wild turkey hunters getting the chance to learn and hunt together this spring. This event will be hosted in the spring of 2014 as well and we plan to look at a youth fall hunt for 2013. This Youth wild turkey camp is full for this spring. NWTF plan other events with youth, habitat and raising money to send more kids to Maine, so if anyone wants to help, PM me. Thanks for supporting NWTF and look forward to seeing everyone at the outdoor show or at the 11th annual Banquet/uction/dinner in Bedford. Truro and Sydney will be having banquets as well this spring/summer. Please note that NWTF members from each chapter will be sending a team to Maine. Look for updated information and photos from this event, as the kids are preparing for there journey to Maine. TH

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The First Ever NWTF International Wild Turkey Youth Camp is getting closer, just one month away....There is 7 father son/daughter teams (kids ages 10-15) taken part in this 4 day hunting event in Maine. These teams will learn classroom training on wild turkey habitat, biology, calling and scouting....sighting in shot guns as well as roosting wild turkeys the evening prior to opening youth day. Youth opening day hunting season will see these teams head to the woods with anticipation of wild turkey hunting for the first time.....13 teams in total...7 from NS, 3 from NB and 3 from Maine. This is a 4 day filled NWTF sponsored event with LL Beans and local NWTF chapter support. Local NS Chapter volunters will attend and help with this event to ensure a safe and satisfying weekend. There is talk of a fall youth deer / wild turkey combo hunt in October and another May 2014 spring youth / parent wild turkey hunting event. NWTF will be holding several events in NS this year, if your interested in getting involved or hunting wild turkeys or youth deer hunts in Maine, contact us and we will be more than happy to meet and disucss our kids outdoor events, women in the outdoors and wheelin sportsmen event. Remember you can join NWTF now for $35 online and receive a $25 basspro gift card....so memberhsip is only costing you $10 for the year. Kids membership is $10....Membership gets you turkey country magazine every 2 months, newsletters and special membership deals on NWTF site..... www.nwtf.org

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My whole family are members and the boys really love the banquets they had a blast on Sat.They had some great Jakes prizes...
It was a bit noisey at the house sunday with owl calls,crow calls and turkeys clucking,,,

Thanks to the volunteers of the NWTF keep up the great work....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scouting reports out of Maine from Yesterday and this morning are showing lots of turkeys and birds are struttin and gobbling. The Jakes International Wild Turkey Youth Camp is only 23 days away and the 7 Nova Scotian Teams are preparing for there trip. There is talking about a fall youth deer/wild turkey youth camp as well. TH

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
good stuff TH!........NWO reports the same thing....still snow on the ground but the birds are getting active......

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hunting RIO Grande turkeys last week, it was tough hunting and most of us tagged out with 2 birds. Texas is a great area to hunt. Hopefully confirmation will come soon on the Maine month long extedned fall season and the 2 bird fall limit. Remember anyne that wants to join NWTF do so online for $35 and receive a free $25 bassspro gift card, membership includes magazines and new letters. Once your a member you can attend banquets/dinners for the price of the visiting member dinner which is usually $15-$20....NWTF events are great. TH

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maine International Wild Turkey Youth camp was a great success, 7 father son/daughter teams from NS, 3 from NB and 2 teams from Maine took part in this event. Two kids ages 10-15 harvested their first ever wild turkey, several other kids had chances. kids and parents enjoyed roosting wild turkeys, hearing them google and seeing them coming to the call while in the Maine woods hunting. The educational seminars were put on by top NWTF members volunteering their time to organize and put this great annual event on in Maine for kids/parents from Atlantic Canada. We now have several NEW young and old turkey hunters here in NS. Pictures and full stories to follow in the next few days. Now its preparation/planning time for the FALL wild turkey / youth deer hunt, great to see these 10-15 year olds taken to the woods to have a life changing experience. Big thanks goes out to the NS volunteers that travelled to Maine to help put on this event. TH

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just got in the door the trip was truly amazing,BIG THANK YOU TO the NWTF and all it volunteers,especially T.H.,Lisa,Gary,Rob and Jim and Mark our Guide what a great bunch...No doubt in my mind that the NWTF is a class act organization..I really apreciate the opertunity to take part in such a event,At times during the trip I would think I just cant believe Im up against a tree turkey hunting in maine...The actual hunt was only a small part of the trip,T.H. kept telling me these guys will teach you how to hunt Turkeys not just guide you,he was right,we learned so much about Turkeys how to scout,hunt,call it was awesome.

I dont think my son truly understands what he was given,im sure later in life he will look back think holy crap I was given a chance to learn and hunt wild turkeys in Maine at the age of 12 from some of Top Turkey Hunters, Turkey Callers,Box Call makers in all of U.S and Canada...

The Kids didnt stop all weekend from Roosting,Hunting,Trip to LL bean,and great Turkey Dinner,Camp fires,Fishing it was action packed...(we ate like kings)Except T.H.mashed the meat balls.lol

As for our Hunt we roosted birds every night and things were looking good,we had 2 Toms and 4 hens camped out rgt in frt of the woodlot we were hunting maybe 50 yards away...
We also roosted a few other birds in several other locations so we had some back up spots...

We woke at 3.30 on Sat A.M.(dont think I slept) after a quick 20 min drive and 15 min walk we were set up...Ready for Youth Opener.It didnt take long we heard the first gobble then another and another,we could be more then 50 yards when they flew down,but we could see them again we called and they responded this went on for hours but the Toms would not leave the hens to give us a look...
We packed up and headed accross the road and it didnt take long we set up and started calling again we heard gobbles this guy was a bit farther so we made a move to get closer.We called again he was close we set up again.This Tom was going crazy gobble after gobble he was pacing back and forth on a 100 yard line(strut Line) but would not come to our call...Evetually we had to give up as time ran out,you can only hunt untill 12 noon....

Youth Opener was now over that gave us one morning left to hunt monday morning...
Monday Morning was again another early rise,we scouted a few new areas on Sunday night but our best chance was our first location we paterned the birds after coming off ther roost they moved along 3 feilds then heading back in the woods around 9 A.M.
We set up behing the birds again for first light but the same results they wouldnt come in,we decided to head back out and check the fields sure enough they were in the 3rd field..We decided to try to cut them off so we heading back into the woods and set up 100 yards behind the field...They continued to answer our call and several times seemed very close but would not step out.Cam was getting tired and frustrated but stuck it out untill 11.30 they finally stopped answering our call so we called it quits...

We returned to the truck with 20 min of hunting time left,we tried the call again can you believe that Tom Called again he was just accross the rd maybe 70 yards....We decided to try one more time, one quick sit but we must have scared him going in as he wouldnt answer and our hunting time expired...

So no birds for us this trip but an amazing experince and dont think I would change a thing(except not getting a bird)but thats hunting...WE WILL BE BACK,WE ARE NOW TURKEY HUNTERS!!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with everything you said FP, NWTF is definitly one hell of a organization. Spencer and I had an awesome time and would like to thank everyone involve for all there time and effort. I post some pics, but not very computer savy,,LOL
Thanks again, still can't wipe the smile of my face.
EB

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are great pictures, i think we have some new youth and new older wild turkey hunters. From what ive been hearing we have 14 new wild turkey hunters from NS that experienced the Spring woods of Maine. Good Luck to all wild turkey hunters this spring. There was a few other wild turkey hunters that returned to NS yesterday with a few wild turkeys from Maine. TH

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got back from Hunting with the same guides (Jim and Rob) that took out the Youth groups. They were so excited when they told us all the stories of the hunts. Sounds Like everyone had a blast. That is a fantastic thing that all of the volunteers did Last week. Good on you all. As for our hunt, I managed to Fill both tags with Jim Westcott. Was a hard and hot few days but Jim pulled out all the stops for us and I had a fantastic break. We saw Three turkeys in New Brunswick on the way up.......lets hope they multiply and move fast!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Awesome pictures. Great memories for sure.>Pete

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Few more pics from the trip....

All the youth had been given box calls right from the start so there was lots of turkey noises going on day & night.

The Friday was an educational day for all - the turkey experts shared their knowledge & experiences.

Niles Oesterle was on hand to share his experiences and expertise - he's a great call maker and great person. Niles gave each youth one of his handmade owl hooter calls. Thanks from all of us Niles!!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Here's the crew after a real good meal from the staff at the place we stayed.

Then off to the woods for some gun safety and target shooting.

The weather was great the whole trip - the youth had a lot offun with some fishing, campfire and even a cake.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Saturday was youth turkey hunt day - there were quite a few encounters, close calls and such however no one got a bird that day. Storytelling was held during lunch on the river. Each youth told us how their morning hunt went.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.