Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well , since we have a thread about Sharp Tailed Grouse on the Mainland and to be polite and not high jack the thread , I'm going start a new one , this pertains to any Fish / Animal / or Bird released illegally upon lands or waters in our Province .

I was recently coming home from up the country and decided to come down the opposite way I normally drive and what do I see along the road side but a pair of Hooded Guinea Fowl , had to stop and even take a video , pics attached to confirm species .

Anyways , i know several people in the area that live there and said yes last 2 yrs more are showing up , still waiting on email on the pair running around with 8-10 chicks in tow . Was told a resident complained about the amount of Ticks in the area and took it upon themselves to release 3 mating pairs they raised . Well I guess they love our weather cause low and behold they survived . Also told this coup!e plans to release Wild Turkeys thru the area in undisclosed locations thru the Cape .

Not going get too heavy into what kinda got heated cause these people I know, they believe its a good thing to have these tick eating birds around , and I reserve my judgement on how I would deal with it . Any introduction of invasive species should result in stiff fines and so on . It's to prove tho who really did it is the other issue .
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Grass

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Mammal Tree

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well , since we have a thread about Sharp Tailed Grouse on the Mainland and to be polite and not high jack the thread , I'm going start a new one , this pertains to any Fish / Animal / or Bird released illegally upon lands or waters in our Province .

I was recently coming home from up the country and decided to come down the opposite way I normally drive and what do I see along the road side but a pair of Hooded Guinea Fowl , had to stop and even take a video , pics attached to confirm species .

Anyways , i know several people in the area that live there and said yes last 2 yrs more are showing up , still waiting on email on the pair running around with 8-10 chicks in tow . Was told a resident complained about the amount of Ticks in the area and took it upon themselves to release 3 mating pairs they raised . Well I guess they love our weather cause low and behold they survived . Also told this coup!e plans to release Wild Turkeys thru the area in undisclosed locations thru the Cape .

Not going get too heavy into what kinda got heated cause these people I know believe its a good thing to have these tick eating birds around , and I reserve my judgement on how I would deal with it . Any introduction of invasive species should result in stiff fines and so on . It's to prove tho who really did it is the other issue . View attachment 98597
View attachment 98596
I agree that no one should release any non-native animal, bird, reptile or plant for that matter, ANYWHERE! Period. There should be heavy fines and/or jail time in my opinion.
No one can hope to understand all the effects and interactions that result. The world is full of existing examples where the results have been catastrophic. A few cases have been successful, like Ring Neck Pheasants for example but those seem to be the exception in my opinion.
It would be great to have more birds that eat ticks and supposedly turkeys just love ticks. But what about all the other things they eat and the long term effect on those insects and therefore the whole eco system?
Unless the guinea foul are just free range livestock that won't be able to go feral and survive I would report them to DNR.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
So Walter if we “ don’t have” them then there is no open or closed season so "........... we’ll roast them up!

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I agree that no one should release any non-native animal, bird, reptile or plant for that matter, ANYWHERE! Period. There should be heavy fines and/or jail time in my opinion.
No one can hope to understand all the effects and interactions that result. The world is full of existing examples where the results have been catastrophic. A few cases have been successful, like Ring Neck Pheasants for example but those seem to be the exception in my opinion.
It would be great to have more birds that eat ticks and supposedly turkeys just love ticks. But what about all the other things they eat and the long term effect on those insects and therefore the whole eco system?
Unless the guinea foul are just free range livestock that won't be able to go feral and survive I would report them to DNR.
There are huge fines for releases any no native creature in every province. The problem is proving John Doe was the one that did it.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Too many people think they know more then the experts. Look at what has happened to our native fishes ( fresh water ) some clowns thought releasing pickerel would be a good thing, now their everywhere, same as introducing bass to waters they weren’t present in. Just caught a bit of something on the news about the authorities doing something in certain waters to get rid of the bass and help the native trout, but didn’t catch where it was or any details maybe someone else heard something.
Let’s not forget Whitetails were introduced here back around 1900; look how well that turned out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too many people think they know more then the experts. Look at what has happened to our native fishes ( fresh water ) some clowns thought releasing pickerel would be a good thing, now their everywhere, same as introducing bass to waters they weren’t present in. Just caught a bit of something on the news about the authorities doing something in certain waters to get rid of the bass and help the native trout, but didn’t catch where it was or any details maybe someone else heard something.
Let’s not forget Whitetails were introduced here back around 1900; look how well that turned out.
DNR poisoned Dobson's Lake in Guysborough County. Smallmouth were introduced there a couple of years ago, killed off native species in the lake. Luckily they managed to get a barrier up before the fish spread beyond the lake.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Deer would have spread here regardless with all the logging that was happening, white tail are an edge species and cutting and new growth is what they like.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The whitetail deer was introduced as you say. Around Halifax and Yarmouth both if I remember right. But, they also were moving into the area near the New Brunswick border naturally at right around the same time and would have covered the province eventually anyway. So in that case man only sped up what was happening anyway. Still not right as it will have had some negative effect on the mainland moose population.
In this case, moose and caribou populations would have been eliminated or severely reduced like they have been anyway because of climate warming and habitat loss/changes over time. Though it probably would have taken the moose population longer to die out to its current levels.
Sorry to go off topic.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
The whitetail deer was introduced as you say. Around Halifax and Yarmouth both if I remember right. But, they also were moving into the area near the New Brunswick border naturally at right around the same time and would have covered the province eventually anyway. So in that case man only sped up what was happening anyway. Still not right as it will have had some negative effect on the mainland moose population.
In this case, moose and caribou populations would have been eliminated or severely reduced like they have been anyway because of climate warming and habitat loss/changes over time. Though it probably would have taken the moose population longer to die out to its current levels.
Sorry to go off topic.
If you remember right?????
Holy smokes are you THAT old

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If some non native illegally introduced species crosses my path in the water or on land , it will be dealt within a effective way right there and then as long as what time of yr it is and season it is , not much you can do along a highway where they were taking a stroll and houses in both directions under legal limits. Also I know for sure these birds are not free range , they have also been spotted several kms from nearest homes, almost 20 kms from where they were released .

If going talk about deer or moose well the Cape Breton moose is fine example of introduced species from Alberta , plenty from the Mainland take joy in hunting that introduced species , just the same as the whitetail deer .

Why not reintroduce the Caribou that once were native to Cape Breton like they did in 1968 & 1969 , Unfortunate for that reintroduction the brain worm took them out by 1972.

I for one would to hunt Caribou once again like I did in Labrador

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If some non native illegally introduced species crosses my path in the water or on land , it will be dealt within a effective way right there and then as long as what time of yr it is and season it is , not much you can do along a highway where they were taking a stroll and houses in both directions under legal limits. Also I know for sure these birds are not free range , they have also been spotted several kms from nearest homes, almost 20 kms from where they were released .

If going talk about deer or moose well the Cape Breton moose is fine example of introduced species from Alberta , plenty from the Mainland take joy in hunting that introduced species , just the same as the whitetail deer .

Why not reintroduce the Caribou that once were native to Cape Breton like they did in 1968 & 1969 , Unfortunate for that reintroduction the brain worm took them out by 1972.

I for one would to hunt Caribou once again like I did in Labrador
They should introduce Elk to Cape Breton.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts