Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thinking about getting an ATV. Do I need independent rear suspension?
Once you add any weight to IRS you start to loose clearance but clearance remains constant with a straight axle so what’s best and why.
Thanks guys and hey
HAVE A SUPER DUPER DAY!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a 98 350 big bear with solid rear axle. Found that it stays higher in snow and soft ground then the independat. Ran circles around the guys with big cc machines in the trails. But the wife found it very uncomfortable to ride on back. Also it had a mono shock which didnt help.
Bought a 700 kodiak 6 years ago with independat rear suspension and power steering. Drives like a cadillack. Power steering takes the jar out of the bars when hit a rock or root in trail. Irs is more comfortable ride. But ass end likes to squate with throttle and can be harder to keep front end on ground with a passenger up hills. Also the irs has a lot more parts to go wrong cvs axels seals etc.
Each has there benefits and downfalls.
I also think solid rear axel is getting harder to find now a days

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
IRS all day long! I too have a Kodak 700 with power steering. I don't know how much weight you plan on putting on the rack 3D but, they're not trucks. Having said that, they will take a good sized deer no problem.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a SRA, but would get independent now. Honda's didn't make independent when I got my machine. It would only be for the plush ride. One thing to keep in mind is IRS is going to make your bike heavier than an SRA. I can always man handle my 500-600lb machine or rock it out of a mudhole in a pinch. IRS easily adds 100+ more lbs.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
IRS all day long! I too have a Kodak 700 with power steering. I don't know how much weight you plan on putting on the rack 3D but, they're not trucks. Having said that, they will take a good sized deer no problem.
Yep 100% especially with his old bones :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Don't buy a honda irs they ride like a tank go with yamaha or a Suzuki i know cause i got a 500 rubicon lol my fault for listening to the honda riders when we discussed shaft drive over belt drive all cause i wanted to haul a bit of wood.If i go for a long drive my back is killing me the end of the day because of how stiff the suspension is.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have owned 5 ATV's in my life. The absolute best thing that came with any of them, the last one, a Yamaha, is Power Steering. IRS is also great, IMO but not a show stopper. Mine has it however but was not a factor when choosing which Brand to buy. PS trumps anything else when buying an ATV these days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Don't buy a honda irs they ride like a tank go with yamaha or a Suzuki i know cause i got a 500 rubicon lol my fault for listening to the honda riders when we discussed shaft drive over belt drive all cause i wanted to haul a bit of wood.If i go for a long drive my back is killing me the end of the day because of how stiff the suspension is.
Isn't the suspension adjustable?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The
A deer would be about all that will be on the rack! If it’s too big I have a sled.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suzuki is way over priced IMO and I can’t find any Yamaha’s. Hardly any bikes in stock anywhere and the dealers can’t get them and have no idea when they can or will get any in.
There are a few Honda ranchers and foreman around but no rubicon’s.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have owned 5 ATV's in my life. The absolute best thing that came with any of them, the last one, a Yamaha, is Power Steering. IRS is also great, IMO but not a show stopper. Mine has it however but was not a factor when choosing which Brand to buy. PS trumps anything else when buying an ATV these days.
Yes PS for sure'!

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a SRA, but would get independent now. Honda's didn't make independent when I got my machine. It would only be for the plush ride. One thing to keep in mind is IRS is going to make your bike heavier than an SRA. I can always man handle my 500-600lb machine or rock it out of a mudhole in a pinch. IRS easily adds 100+ more lbs.
So the SRA is gonna go wherever an IRS will? Just gonna be for hunting ( getting deer out) and maybe getting in to some fishing holes that are starting to seem too far to walk now,lol.
A winch should get me out of mudholes either way,lol.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a 98 350 big bear with solid rear axle. Found that it stays higher in snow and soft ground then the independat. Ran circles around the guys with big cc machines in the trails. But the wife found it very uncomfortable to ride on back. Also it had a mono shock which didnt help.
Bought a 700 kodiak 6 years ago with independat rear suspension and power steering. Drives like a cadillack. Power steering takes the jar out of the bars when hit a rock or root in trail. Irs is more comfortable ride. But ass end likes to squate with throttle and can be harder to keep front end on ground with a passenger up hills. Also the irs has a lot more parts to go wrong cvs axels seals etc.
Each has there benefits and downfalls.
I also think solid rear axel is getting harder to find now a days
About what I was thinking with independent- more parts = more repairs!

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
So the SRA is gonna go wherever an IRS will? Just gonna be for hunting ( getting deer out) and maybe getting in to some fishing holes that are starting to seem too far to walk now,lol.
Not a chance if you're in a peat hole and the nearest bunch of black spruce is 100-125 yards away !!
ANY winch point more than 25 -50 feet will have you scrambling for ropes..cables..come-alongs...or friends....GOOD friends who don't mind the black mud !! ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yes it's going to go anywhere and do anything an IRS will.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
A Winch will get you out of most situations if you have something to latch on to. I also carry a Come Along and a lenght of rope. Just in case. It is amazing what you can latch on to and pull yourself out with. In Newfoundland we latch on to a bit of Tuck (Black Spruce) right at the base and we pull the Argo's out of Shit holes. However you do need something to latch on to...Even a rock will serve its purpose.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Suzuki is way over priced IMO and I can’t find any Yamaha’s. Hardly any bikes in stock anywhere and the dealers can’t get them and have no idea when they can or will get any in.
There are a few Honda ranchers and foreman around but no rubicon’s.
New inventory is low for every brand. Expect to order and wait. More ATV's and SxS's were sold during the pandemic cause people apparently had money burning a hole in their pockets that they needed to spend. Add in production delays because of Covid and it's a perfect storm of demand outstripping supply.

The used market isn't any better. Bunch of overpriced garbage because demand is so high.

If it were me I would decide on what's right for you and just order new from the dealer and play the waiting game. With demand so high I am doubtful on any "deals" either.

Deciding what's right for you is going to be the hardest part, do you want bullet proof reliability? do you want to be turning wrenches all the time to maintain your rig? are you looking for power/speed? are you looking to ride 2 up? Lots of factors to consider.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a chance if you're in a peat hole and the nearest bunch of black spruce is 100-125 yards away !!
ANY winch point more than 25 -50 feet will have you scrambling for ropes..cables..come-alongs...or friends....GOOD friends who don't mind the black mud !! ;) ;)
Yes I have your phone #!!!

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A Winch will get you out of most situations if you have something to latch on to. I also carry a Come Along and a lenght of rope. Just in case. It is amazing what you can latch on to and pull yourself out with. In Newfoundland we latch on to a bit of Tuck (Black Spruce) right at the base and we pull the Argo's out of Shit holes. However you do need something to latch on to...Even a rock will serve its purpose.
Thanks I’ll make sure I have lots of good rope on hand

1 - 20 of 29 Posts