Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, looking for some clarification on whether I need permission to hunt deer. The track of land I'm looking to Hunt is unmanaged forest and there aren't any signs posted. It's tough to find land owners names to ask permission, so I'm just looking for some guidance and good practice.
Cheers guys.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
It is not hard to find who owns land in Nova Scotia as the guys say and do the right thing regardless what some think the law says they can and cannot do .Only someone looking for potential problems would hunt on it with out permission. No signs means nothing
Ask yourself if you owned forested land and paid taxes on it would you like people on it hunting with out permnission
Enough said

· Registered
3,437 Posts
The “right” thing to do is ask permission. It is not required for hunting on private land. I could give two shits if someone was hunting on my property. If they were tampering with my camp, hunting over my bait pile, or building structures on the land .… then I would have a problem. As far as someone just walking around … Although I wouldn’t like it … I wouldn’t stop them. I’m sure the minute I would tell someone to leave … I would be replacing windows in my camp. Just not worth it.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
The “right” thing to do is ask permission. It is not required for hunting on private land. I could give two shits if someone was hunting on my property. If they were tampering with my camp, hunting over my bait pile, or building structures on the land .… then I would have a problem. As far as someone just walking around … Although I wouldn’t like it … I wouldn’t stop them. I’m sure the minute I would tell someone to leave … I would be replacing windows in my camp. Just not worth it.
The right and proper thing and the safest thing. YOU guys clearly have not run into a real smart land owner who knows how to deal with this NS BS forested land crap or a crazy one that could not careless . Then again may be the land owners needs a new tractor or barn like my buds got when hunters were charged for damage
What you didnot do it PROVE THAT when you are the only one they have pics of on their land and you had a confrontation with them two days prior HELLO welcome to real world and a smart owner
We went though about 25 years of pure hell from hunters 99% deer hunters on family land and then we got educated also from other land owners and no more problems
From killing sheep and cows, shooting and killing two dogs :( taking hardwood, taking xmas trees, hitting the house with a bullet, putting a target on the back of the chicken coop and killing a bunch of chickens inside, ( hello yes bullets go through wood ) tearing down gates. etc etc I could write a book
Like I said before more than one way to skin a cat and of course you didnot do any of that. PROVE it when I have your pics and licence plate
What windows OH you mean the camp that just burned to the ground :(
Ever read this section MOST don't is that your toilet paper :p dam litter on my property
SUMMARY
i. Hunters, unlike anglers, do not have special rights of access on privately owned land without the permission of the landowner. ii. Hunters who trespass may be subject to a civil action in trespass. iii. Hunters may be charged under Section 11 of the Firearms and Bow Regulations with respect to firearm or bow near buildings. iv. Without the permission of the occupier, hunters may be charged under the Protection of Property Act if they trespass on the 4 classes of forest land listed in Section 15(1) of the Act. v. Without the permission of the occupier, hunters may be charged under the Protection of Property Act if they trespass on those lands more fully defined in Section 3 of the Act which includes all agriculture lands, gardens and lawns. vi. Even if hunters are lawfully hunting on forest land, they may be charged under the Protection of Property if they litter on the privately owned property.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
You’re right Joe … I have never run into that situation. If I was on private land and was asked to leave, I would do just that. I know there are crazies out there (hunters and landowners) that would do just about anything. I once had the RCMP called on me because I was parked in my road, BUT A PORTION OF MY MIRROR WAS ON HIS PROPERTY !!!! I FEKKING near lost it. The lady cop that I talked to just laughed, but was obligated to call me because they had a complaint. The corner post was an iron bar … so she told the asshole, that until he gets it surveyed and know the exact location, there was nothing she could do. Must have worked, because he never bothered me Again. I still get the middle finger salute every time I drive by, but that’s like water off a ducks back. Almost funny that a 75 year old can be that childish.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
You’re right Joe … I have never run into that situation. If I was on private land and was asked to leave, I would do just that. I know there are crazies out there (hunters and landowners) that would do just about anything. I once had the RCMP called on me because I was parked in my road, BUT A PORTION OF MY MIRROR WAS ON HIS PROPERTY !!!! I FEKKING near lost it. The lady cop that I talked to just laughed, but was obligated to call me because they had a complaint. The corner post was an iron bar … so she told the asshole, that until he gets it surveyed and know the exact location, there was nothing she could do. Must have worked, because he never bothered me Again. I still get the middle finger salute every time I drive by, but that’s like water off a ducks back. Almost funny that a 75 year old can be that childish.
I was lucky and always pretty much hunted our own land but any time I went else ware I would ask first and rarely would they say NO but that was 20 years ago also
I find years ago people would tolerate hunters on their land but not so much it seems today
They would sooner tape you and fight you to see if they can sue and win something in court it seems and others that say no normally have a history of bad experiences with hunters sadly
Lots of idiots out there with orange jackets that call them selves hunters but are just idiots unlike true hunters that respect the land , who owns it and the game on it
Cheers

· Registered
2,823 Posts
I learned very early asking for permission opens many more doors than it closes. Hunting with permission and being respectful helps all hunters as landowners will talk and pass this info and name on to others.
Yup i originally had permission to hunt one farm 20years ago, then it was 2, now its 7or8. The farmers start calling to the original farmer mid September, wondering when ill be down to deal with the problem deer. Farmers know their land, they know how many deer, where theyre at during the day, they know what happens around them and we as hunters look for that information to harvest our deer.
They also enjoy a "token of appreciation" , a share of the harvest, booze, help during their busy season, a handmade gift or even baked goods. Most importantly dont forget to verbally thank them before you leave.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
I guess what I cannot understand is WHY land to hunt on it so hard to find some say
In the 80's and early 90 's here two deer behind every tree and ten guys in each spot chasing them
A hunting spot then if you didnot own private land sure was hard to find
Places where it was nothing to see 10 trucks parked every evening now have NONE and one sees almost No hunters any more
Locations like sterling sounded like a war zone on opening day and now lucky to hear a shot cannot blame buying up for home development on a lot of this land since it hasn't changed
What gives

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Yup i originally had permission to hunt one farm 20years ago, then it was 2, now its 7or8. The farmers start calling to the original farmer mid September, wondering when ill be down to deal with the problem deer. Farmers know their land, they know how many deer, where theyre at during the day, they know what happens around them and we as hunters look for that information to harvest our deer.
They also enjoy a "token of appreciation" , a share of the harvest, booze, help during their busy season, a handmade gift or even baked goods. Most importantly dont forget to verbally thank them before you leave.
Huge IMO
Until maybe 6 years ago when she passed at 84 every xmas up I went to one area we hunted and gave the lady a full xmas dinner turkey and all the trimmings ( something my brothers and I started there in the 80") which she counted on in the later years even though I have not hunted her land in 20 years. Others we would go up haying season and help them hay and even work on their equipment. That is huge to many give and take
We had wonderful relationships and this year in fact one daughter was down getting flowers and says are you ever going to come back up here hunting we would love to see you guys and no one is hunting here any more and deer are around again.
Cheers

· Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like a really good neighbour! I personally wouldn't expect a cop to even bother calling someone over something so trivial.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Hey there, looking for some clarification on whether I need permission to hunt deer. The track of land I'm looking to Hunt is unmanaged forest and there aren't any signs posted. It's tough to find land owners names to ask permission, so I'm just looking for some guidance and good practice.
Cheers guys.
No you do not need permission the PPA states you CAN NOT be charged for entering any forested land for the purpose of recreation ( including hunting ) whether such land is posted or not.
I suggest you read the act yourself as well as the hunting regulations

· Registered
17,701 Posts
No you do not need permission the PPA states you CAN NOT be charged for entering any forested land for the purpose of recreation ( including hunting ) whether such land is posted or not.
I suggest you read the act yourself as well as the hunting regulations
Good luck with that 3D Yep the act will save your ass NOT
It is you that has to read. So easy for a smart landowner to f'k you and you have to PROVE differently on your dime in court . Few pop cans as one example , torn up pasture from atv and you are toast
Family has been in court over this twice over the years and won both times yes 20 years ago but still the same

I quote again
SUMMARY
i. Hunters, unlike anglers, do not have special rights of access on privately owned land without the permission of the landowner. ii. Hunters who trespass may be subject to a civil action in trespass. iii. Hunters may be charged under Section 11 of the Firearms and Bow Regulations with respect to firearm or bow near buildings. iv. Without the permission of the occupier, hunters may be charged under the Protection of Property Act if they trespass on the 4 classes of forest land listed in Section 15(1) of the Act. v. Without the permission of the occupier, hunters may also be charged under the Protection of Property Act if they trespass on those lands more fully defined in Section 3 of the Act which includes all agriculture lands, gardens and lawns. vi. Even if hunters are lawfully hunting on forest land, they may be charged under the Protection of Property if they litter on the privately owned property.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Good luck with that 3D Yep the act will save your ass NOT
It is you that has to read. So easy for a smart landowner to f'k you and you have to PROVE differently on your dime in court . Few pop cans as one example and you are toast
Family has been in court over this twice over the years and won both times yes 20 years ago but still the same

I quote again
SUMMARY
i. Hunters, unlike anglers, do not have special rights of access on privately owned land without the permission of the landowner. ii. Hunters who trespass may be subject to a civil action in trespass. iii. Hunters may be charged under Section 11 of the Firearms and Bow Regulations with respect to firearm or bow near buildings. iv. Without the permission of the occupier, hunters may be charged under the Protection of Property Act if they trespass on the 4 classes of forest land listed in Section 15(1) of the Act. v. Without the permission of the occupier, hunters may also be charged under the Protection of Property Act if they trespass on those lands more fully defined in Section 3 of the Act which includes all agriculture lands, gardens and lawns. vi. Even if hunters are lawfully hunting on forest land, they may be charged under the Protection of Property if they litter on the privately owned property.
That’s been on the net for yrs and is the opinion of a lawyer whom never saw a courtroom
Because youoppose the act you try to tear it apart.
Show me one case where someone was charged for being on forested land who did not do any damage etc. You can’t because no one ever was

· Registered
17,701 Posts
That’s been on the net for yrs and is the opinion of a lawyer whom never saw a courtroom
Because youoppose the act you try to tear it apart.
Show me one case where someone was charged for being on forested land who did not do any damage etc. You can’t because no one ever was
For years 2000 to be exact since it hasn't changed and yes a lawyer and you know he never seen a court room do you What a laugh that is oh wait now you know more than a lawyer or have another one of those MP friends in your pocket to call to help you out if in crap :)
The act is a joke and those that think it will protect them are just as stupid
AHH our family land has charged two hunters over the years I will have you know and WON in court
Like I said you were on my private land, I have the proof and pics and have damage or a pile of garbage after you left PROVE it was not you
GOOD LUCK with that then again none of this would ever apply to you since you and it seems your kin hunt in housing developments:D:D

· Registered
3,437 Posts
I'm certainly no lawyer ... but it states in black and white that no hunter will be charged for hunting on private land. I'm sure there are cases where people have been ... probably for not leaving when asked or leaving garbage, or a permanent blind.... but I really doubt that just walking (hunting) on private lands, would ever end up in a court room.
Long story short ... you don't need permission to hunt on private property regardless if there are signs 5 feet apart or 50. ....*** in nova scotia

1 - 20 of 179 Posts