Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Kelvins

3K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
Well took a run down to Kelvins this am. Only been there the once. Just a beautiful new shop he has and was really amazed of his stock. He even has used reloading equipment. Lots of firearms and ammo and accessories. Has to have more than most shops to be honest. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I stepped in the door and laid my eyes on the goodies😀 Its out of my way but worth the drive if you are looking for stuff.

#4 ·
He has a good thing going there and very reasonable to do business with. He is located in Chester Basin. I have bought a few guns from him over the years. Just a word of caution, stay away if you're looking to have something mounted. He should not be doing taxidermy for the General Public. But other than that, he is a great person and I love that shop as well.

#11 ·
I have gone into Bass Pro in Dartmouth Crossing perhaps six times since it opened and have only bought two things: some 20 gauge shells and a stock riser kit. IMAO if you are looking for something very specific like your favourite ammo or fly tying gear head to the small guys like Flint and steel or Leaves and Limbs

#12 ·
Went to Bass Pro a couple times when it opened and have not been back since.
I agree on Leaves and Limbs, have not been to Flint and Steel but I hope to see their stuff at the gun show in New Glasgow at the end of the month.

#13 ·
For fly tying gear fishing fever has a great selection but its pricey. Mcphersons in liverpool also has a decent selection. I used to like goin to see ken in his fly shop but believe hes passed away, his shop was in his basement on the 348 in upper smithfield close to the indian man pool on the st marys. He had more flies tied and on hand then all the shops combined and was great to deal with. I used to sit there for hours chatting with him.
For ammo kelvins usually has a good stock compared to other places and he has some odd ball harder to get ammo but will sometimes only sell you one box if stocks are getting low, which isnt a bad thing. He trys to allow other guys to get some ammo or reloading gear in stead of one guy buying it all up

#14 ·
I've been purposely going to Young Guns, even if I spend a little more on ammo, because I want to support local, and they seem to have better stock. Plus, with Dartmouth Cabela's not having stock, you have to order it in and you lose the difference, and more, on shipping.

#15 ·
I don’t make any special trips to Cabela’s anymore. I choose to shop at the smaller family owned shops. Winnipeg has a great Cabela’s. Whenever we go there to visit our friends. … I always make a trip there. They have a huge Bass Pro near me in Daytona Beach. I love going there. The best one I have ever been to, was in Glendale, Arizona. I have never been to Young Guns. My go-to’s, are Kelvins, Lequille, and I also like Hnatiuks.

#22 ·
My son is heading to NB for the Spring bear hunt tomorrow
Went looking for ammo but no luck so started calling no 300WSM anywhere.
He called Kalvins who told him good luck,lol Kelvin imports ammo and is a distributor said he even has people in the US calling him for 300WSM. Told my son call back in a couple months as he MIGHT get a couple boxes in sooner or later.
Thought about The gun dealer since he’s in NB but all out of stock!
Glad I never bought a 300WSM rifle!

• Sad
Reactions: 3macs1
#23 ·
Pretty sure all the gun shops don't wait for kelvin the distributor to dole out their ammo...I know Bass pro doesn't...JD doesn't, C-Tire doesn't, Bob at Young Guns doesn't, Hnatiucks doesn't and I'll guarantee you, Ross certainly doesn't. Who is he "supposed" to be a distributor for...lol

Reactions: 3macs1
#27 ·
All I know is what he told us. And twice now he said he was a distributor for eastern Canada. He does seem to have lots of ammo even when others don’t. That’s why my son called him yesterday. Ffs not my fault he waited til the last minute!

#28 ·
Yes he has a few, but no he ain’t borrowing mine! He found some ammo stashed but only ten rounds.
The problem he has now is the rifle is sighted in with 130g ammo designed for deer and wants to use different ammo for bear.

#25 ·
I got one of the first shipment of new 300WSM stainless Browning A-Bolt ll's that came into Canada thru my buddy Brad Butler who owned Wholesale Sports ! Soooo glad I've been reloading all my life. ;) Never ever been an issue of no ammo for me and any of my rifles, pistols and shottys ! Very comforting...lol

Reactions: TrueGrit
#26 ·
Was there many times when it was Frenchy's and many times after. A fellow black powder cartridge shooter buddy of mine (Dana) worked there. He shot a Winchester High Wall in .38-55.
I tell you Kevin, I spent some money in that store! Guns, slings, reloading dies etc.
It was my go to store for years, even just to go and BS with the other guys.
Got some smithing done at the Inglewood shop too. Loved the Barbershop/Gunshop combo and old Pat was a great guy!

#35 ·
Call Flint and Steel in Debert
1 (902) 890-1761 Sandy Scott
You know I never went down there but met them at a gun show. Sunday after noon and no one there, end of the day and the guy would only sell me one pack of primers (100). He has limits on stock? Quite confusing to go home from a gun show looking for stuff, its there but limit one per customer. Glad I did not drive to Truro?

#41 ·
Sooo I did a little digging TS...all I have left for pistol is a couple cards of CCI 550 sm pistol magnum.

I do have a several thousand of small rifle primers left, limited on WLR's but, I can give you two cards of them to help you out. I do have a brick of Fed 210 Match rifle primers if you're interested.
We'll be going to Weymouth in June (( 23rd )) to the last Nova Series shoot. I can bring them with me and meet you around the 101 someplace on the way home. If that works for you, then PM me your number...and I'll send you mine

#45 ·
Sooo I did a little digging TS...all I have left for pistol is a couple cards of CCI 550 sm pistol magnum.

I do have a several thousand of small rifle primers left, limited on WLR's but, I can give you two cards of them to help you out. I do have a brick of Fed 210 Match rifle primers if you're interested.
We'll be going to Weymouth in June (( 23rd )) to the last Nova Series shoot. I can bring them with me and meet you around the 101 someplace on the way home. If that works for you, then PM me your number...and I'll send you mine
Kevin appreciate the offer but the primers I still have some left. Not to the point of out or taking from someone elses stash. The powder is a different thing. Been looking for some time now, nothing. Half the places I found listening stuff never got around to keeping there web site up to date. If you hear of anyone with those powders let me know. Gun show in Windsor this weekend. Maybe there will be stuff there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.