Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good start to 2012.
Spotted this group out in a field the other morning,it's great to have the "reach capabilities" with a big lens unless...
it starts snowing

Best one of the bunch didn't show himself until they were all leaving as it started snowing harder.....
the further you zoom the more snow there is.

Heavy crop of above pic....best guess he's an 11 or 12pt

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Were they all still pack'n antlers? Hard to tell, but looks like one is missing one. Saw a medium size buck on Saturday that had dropped both his antlers. That big fella looks like a great Valley buck....will size up nice for next fall.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Four of nine all had horns...last week.
In the second pic the deer facing the cam still had both,the one facing him had "something" going on with his but it appeared his left was much thicker than his right which can't be seen in the pic but was in fact there.
The one facing the cam is in the first pic...quite high horns but both still there.(looked to be 7pt in binos)
If it turns cold as they say and we don't get alot of snow before the weekend...heeheehee....hike time!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Great way to start the year! Hopefuuly there are more of them out there for you to photogragh (for our viewing pleasure).>Pete

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the best of light days...
Finally found a pheasant,he wasn't long getting lost in the hedge.

A farmers offal pile,was trying to get the Redtail having a feed but the Raven grabbed the focus.

These ducks have been hanging out in the same spot now for at least 3 days.
Mallards,Blacks and the odd Common Merganser,normally this part of the river is frozen now.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A pleasant surprise when I went for the ducks,heard it cackling before I saw it and we both saw each other at about the same time.

A reminder to anyone interested the annual Eaglewatch weekends are coming up.

http://www.eaglens.ca/

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bigger one here has a split brow tine,only 3 out this evening,one with them with no horns but I'm pretty sure it's a doe.
It was pretty close to dark when taking these from quite a distance,you can see unless they were standing still it wasn't working well.
Getting them ALL standing still was all but impossible!!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The big one is a nice buck. What kind of field are they in? What are they eating? Just wondering. >Pete

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's not the same big fella you had pix of yesterday is it. I thought the big one yesterday had 5 points on his right side...or it looks that way in your third photo yesterday. Both big handsome Valley bucks. They'll be dropping any day!

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If he was around tonight he wasn't out...same group. (Only ones left !!
)
I'm watchin',they're covering a fair amount of ground...back to work Monday tho..

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roadtrip to Digby today and then back through Annapolis via Lequille's....
At the Digby wharf,snow squalls and overcast skies made for a bit of a challenge on lighting...

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
No seal pics yet buddy...I can't POUND my keyboard til the 31st when I get the stiches out of me hand!!

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Haven't been seeing many around as of late for some reason KEVIN.
Must be all the lobster boat traffic on the water scaring them away or ...something... maybe?

After four long years of searching and dead ends FINALLY the Husqvarna 30-06 has a stock under it.
A friend's father offered to make a stock for it so I picked up a nice chunk of Walnut in the city the other day and we took that plus the other stock I had purchased that wouldn't quite fit the 30-06 but fit my .270 perfect.The action is identical but the barrel channel just wasn't quite ...enough.
Last thing I said to him as we were leaving was ...."Take your time no rush"
Well I get a call the next day..."Come n pick er up" apparently according to his wife he went to work on it right after breakfast and didn't surface from the shop until it was done.
He did some modifying to the stock I had already purchased and...the job was done.
He's got a few scratches on his rifles stock that he's had for like 40yrs well now he has a nice chunk of Walnut to fashion up a new one.
Only way to tell it apart from the .270 is the medallion embedded in the stock.
Now I gotta find a scope and some ammo...lotsa time for that though,it's not like there's a rush or anything,maybe wait for a rainy day or something

1 - 20 of 353 Posts