Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I've been having some success in Halifax Cty here since Friday getting on some ducks over freshwater. I'm wondering how late in the season here in NS do the ducks keep frequenting the freshwater spots...as I know the coastal salt mashes are the main places to find them. Do they keep hitting the freshwater right up until they freeze over? Or do they move out to the coastal marshes or migrate south well before that? I don't have easy access to the coastal marshes so I'm wondering how productive my backwoods lakes and potholes will be as the season progresses.

·
Registered
146 Posts
as long as the food is there and there is no ice they will stay in the freshwater. Or at least flip between the salt and fresh.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Rivers can be great late in the season if they stay opened up. Just have to be careful boating on them with ice flowing.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Fresh water will always be a good spot to find waterfowl .specialty after freeze up .look for spots where freshwater is open and running into salt water as the birds need fresh water to survive and maintain weight .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts